Best headphone amp solution for testing pedals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Best headphone amp solution for testing pedals

Postby MechaGodzilla » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:33 am

What about the mini marshall/orange thingies with belt clips? Or micro terror ?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrmy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 pm

drolo wrote:Best amp I ever used for headphones is the Yamaha THR10 (the built-in speakers sound great at low levels too). There is also the smaller THR5. Plus you can use them as USB direct recording devices and they sound pretty killer. The different amp models seem to react to dirt pedals and boosters quite similarly to how the real ones would. Not pedal sized though, not sure if that was a must.

OH! Good call! I had forgotten about these things - a friend who works at a music store mentioned them to me a while back!

No, pedal sized would be a plus, but isn't essential at all - I should probably make that more explicit in the first entry.

Thanks for the ideas, all! Obviously keep 'em coming, but I'm going to look into these Yamahas for sure...
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I use a black star fly 3 mini for headphoning. As long as you keep your fuzz at unity it sounds great, with quite a decent speaker sim. Sounds ok as an amp too. Spunky hates it but you know how loud his shit is.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby sylnau » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:45 pm

goroth wrote:I use a black star fly 3 mini for headphoning. As long as you keep your fuzz at unity it sounds great, with quite a decent speaker sim. Sounds ok as an amp too. Spunky hates it but you know how loud his shit is.

Can you plug that into a computer for recording?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I’ve been thinking about a Hotone cab for pretty much this exact thing. Headphone amp, cab and power amp IR’s, aux in, etc.... they’re pretty cheap too. I feel like any dirt with enough tone shaping would work well as a Preamp into it also.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:03 am

If you're going to spend close to 200 anyways just get a Quilter 101 or microblock. My 101 is my main amp and I spent less than 250 on it. And it handles dirt great and sounds awesome with headphones.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:38 am

sylnau wrote:
goroth wrote:I use a black star fly 3 mini for headphoning. As long as you keep your fuzz at unity it sounds great, with quite a decent speaker sim. Sounds ok as an amp too. Spunky hates it but you know how loud his shit is.

Can you plug that into a computer for recording?

The headphone out has a speaker sim on it, so if you have instrument level input on your soundcard then you could do it. I've never tried though. But I think in terms of playing silently it's nice. Most of the range on the ISF (tone control) is rubbish, but all the way counter clockwise is good.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby odontophobia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I use a Mesa Boogie Cab Clone for my headphone needs. It sounds good because of the speaker emulation that it has going on. Bought one off of reverb for a pretty fair price and have been very happy with it.

Was just watching the Pelican Rig Rundown and they actually use Radial JDX between amp and cabs and send a DI to the mixer as well as mic'd cabs. Blend over it all. Sounds cool. May try it with the cab clone sometime.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pm

jrmy wrote:
drolo wrote:Best amp I ever used for headphones is the Yamaha THR10 (the built-in speakers sound great at low levels too). There is also the smaller THR5. Plus you can use them as USB direct recording devices and they sound pretty killer. The different amp models seem to react to dirt pedals and boosters quite similarly to how the real ones would. Not pedal sized though, not sure if that was a must.

OH! Good call! I had forgotten about these things - a friend who works at a music store mentioned them to me a while back!

No, pedal sized would be a plus, but isn't essential at all - I should probably make that more explicit in the first entry.

Thanks for the ideas, all! Obviously keep 'em coming, but I'm going to look into these Yamahas for sure...

I've got a THR10C and I concur. The computer editor can let you tailor things to your liking and save to a preset so you don't have to worry about it.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:
jrmy wrote:

I've got a THR10C and I concur. The computer editor can let you tailor things to your liking and save to a preset so you don't have to worry about it.

Can you plug this to you're sound card on the computer to do some recording?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby drolo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:09 am

sylnau wrote:Can you plug this to you're sound card on the computer to do some recording?

You can actually plug it through usb to your PC and use it as a soundcard
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 am

drolo wrote:
sylnau wrote:Can you plug this to you're sound card on the computer to do some recording?

You can actually plug it through usb to your PC and use it as a soundcard

Nice!

I have a Yamaha DG-Stomp... but it doesn't take pedals well. Might put it for sale and try to get one of these. :snax:

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillofuzz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 pm

This thread has me thinking about buying either a Yamaha THR10X, Vox Adio Air GT or Boss Katana Air... my eyes want the Yamaha, but based on demos my ears prefer the Vox so far. The Boss is considerably more expensive but has that nifty wireless thing included...

The g.a.s., it never ends :picard:
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:50 am

I ab’d the black star with the similar sized boss Katana and thought that it sounded better distorted, and preferred the speaker sim. But the katana sounded better clean.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby sylnau » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:43 am

Any thought on the Rivera Mini Rock Rec?

sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear