What Pedals Do You Pair With Synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

What Pedals Do You Pair With Synths?

Postby 01010111 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:41 pm

After listening to some demos if the Prophet X I figured those were sounds I could get with some effects boxes and a JP08. So, what pedals do you guys pair with synths?

I feel pretty happy with what synths I have (SE02, JP08, SH01a, and a Volva Beats). For effects I’ve got a Boss Dimension clone, a Dwarfcraft custom monster, a Gunslinger, and a Boneshaker hanging around. A patchulator setup of some kind to run all my synths through makes the most sense to me. I’m thinking a POG2 and a stereo reverb would be excellent additions, maybe even some kind of filter to add global filtering effects. One of those ehx organ/piano/mellotron boxes makes sense to add “traditional” keys sounds.

What do you folks do, and what would you recommend?

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Pedals with Synths

Postby echorec » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 pm

For versatility, I'd recommend stuff like the MS-70 CDR & Empress Nebulus. The Source Audio Orbital would probably satisfy a lot of applications, too. Lately I've been using a variety of delays & phasers, a Dwarfcraft Grazer and a Lida Machine (probably my favorite filter...more intuitive and more immediate than the Tracer City & others). If I didn't have a Moog lowpass filter, I'd probably have given this a more serious look.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifi ... ox&index=6

With the exception of thicker drives and some delays, most stuff has translated fairly well from guitar to keyboard usage. I've never really had much success with octave/pitch boxes. Now I use arpeggiators set to random a lot, which doesn't really gel with harmonizers anyway. My lone session with a POG was fairly uninspiring, but I do like the EQD Organizer. It can be quite serviceable in a chain. I have a Mel9, which I suppose works adequately for slow stuff on keys. You may want to pair it with some other stuff to smooth it out though. ---The Witch Shifter seems like it will have a lot to offer synth users, too.

As far as reverb, there aren't that many stereo options. When budget & desired sounds are factored in, the list gets even smaller. The better ones tend to fall in that $300+ range before any discounting (RV-500, Empress, Meris). To me, if you're going to splurge on one effect for your synths, reverb/delay is the best place to do so. In the sub $200 range, though, the Polara has a lot of synth fans. I already had a Supernatural, so I never saw the need to acquire one. Hope that helps.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: What Pedals Do You Pair With Synths?

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Most pedals at least do something interesting, never had any not work as expected. I use the RM-1N and Ghost Fax most for my synths but I'll try anything if I'm looking for a particular sound.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Sonaboy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:43 pm

I use a TC Electronics x4 delay (has MIDI too, just in case I wanna switch it around a little) and a Mooer Shimverb Pro. I've also been looking at that Source Audio Orbiter because it has 1/8" inserts too. Watching them pop up on Reverb these days for just $90-ish.
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Psyre » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm

I will been in the ILF minority with this opinion, but I've not had good experience with pedals being used with synths or drum machines. Decent results for live use, especially if using an amp, but I notice the top end getting chopped off or cut pretty substantially. For instance, Pretty Years was easily my favorite pedal for guitar. I even loved how it blew up the volca beats particularly (which isn't exactly a boutique sound-wise as I'm sure you know). However when using any pedal, be it dirt, reverb, or delay with any of my nicer units, it was certainly a noticeable difference to high end and clarity. Sticking with the Pretty Years example, it just couldn't contend on drum machines, even their individual outs, with the Analog Heat. PY certainly sounded better on guitar and bass though, and probably EP's like Rhodes and Wurlitzers being amped. I think for a lot of full range synths, EQ, HF dampening, and clean blends are near essential.

I think there are some pedals that would work, but they would have to have a lot of extended controls. I found delays/reverbs like dd3, dd7, canyon, carbon copy, boss RV's, rrr, etc, you know any standard 4-5 control units just weren't working for me. I grew to prefer rack units, even those considered shitty like DEP-5, and early SPX's and some alesis units for the additional ability to shape it around the synth tones and drum hits.

I'd probably recommend something like a Korg KP3+, which has about 60 stellar programs in it. I really dislike any of its HPF's and all things in it's high frequency range though. It has some great LFO's and synth/drum reverbs and delays. Decent stereo-izing effects, though I'm not sure if it's true stereo or summed mono input :idk:

Otherwise I'd really recommend considering a decent rack unit. On the cheap side, TC M-One XL's are a breeze to use and a great introduction to units with multiple I/O routing options and algorithm stacking. Ie can be used as 1 dual stereo effect in series or parallel or as 2 mono effects. These can be found for around $150 used.

Or just go big with eventide dsp, and you'll really not need anymore effects ever, especially if you have any interest in programming. After you get past the fear of 20+ year old digital, it's impossible to find a more powerful and still relevant unit than an Orville for under $2k.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying you can't get good effects with pedals on synths, just that "I" can't seem to. Obviously plenty of other people can :hobbes:
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 am

In response to that it's worth noting I only have cheap synths and I like them to sound lofi. To put what I said in context.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Psyre » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 am

That's a very good point. For stuff like my VSS30 and SK-1, you'll get everything you need from pedals. Same with Volca Beats, pedals handle it's signal pretty great. The same can't be said for my 606 and 707. I regularly found myself having to run the processed signal into a WA76 to get some of the energy/sizzle to enter the picture again.

Great point there, context and intention is key!
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:41 am

Kinda funny that 707s and 606s are now considered sort of high-end, they were definitely designed more as budget-oriented devices... :)

As for me, my synth board (mostly used on a Yamaha Reface YC) is : Boss PS-3, Boss RV-3, ss/bs Mini, Boss PS-3 (and an EHX 22500 looper). Obviously, I like the Boss PS-3 and it works super well with synths in my experience. Same for the Mini, it behaves surprisingly well with all sorts of synths...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby spacelordmother » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Yup, PS3 love here too! Also: Pitch Pirate, Avalanche Run, and SMMH. Not a pedal but Nanoverb halfrack is amazing on synths. Haven’t had much luck getting a dirt sound I like, most are way too fizzy. Suppose I ought to pull the Mini off my pedalboard?
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby rustywire » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm

BitQuest
Pretty Years
DMM
IC based distortion

Phaser is esp great w/synths, stereo chorus too
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Psyre has a point that synth users may lose certain dynamics, when introducing effects. (and his other findings/suggestions are certainly worth making a note of for future research) Most pedals are designed with guitars & basses in mind, therefore this shouldn't sneak up on anyone. Effects, are by definition, meant to mark change.

When I implement effects with synths, I certainly notice alterations in color/texture/EQ curve/body, et cetera, but it's a process of measuring the scales. In a recent fuzz test, I thought to myself, "OK, this has taken some of the girth away. The sound isn't as robust, but it's now more aggressive and gritty. Can I accept these results?" If the answer is no, then I try the pedal with other gear, until I find its ideal playmates. As much as the shortcomings of some pedals can initially disappoint me, it does cause me to rethink my approach.

I had been looking for a dirt pedal to pair with synths and drum machines for months. Some of the results were pleasing, but nothing was ideal. Then I ran a fuzz into an Empress Reverb's lo-fi bank (within the FX loop of a Rubberneck), and that solved two issues---1) achieving a uniquely gritty texture that worked well with synth pads & 2) discovering the best lo-fi reverb texture that I've ever heard.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

oscillateur wrote:Kinda funny that 707s and 606s are now considered sort of high-end, they were definitely designed more as budget-oriented devices... :)

Couldn't agree more. The sad thing is that nothing really ever came to replace such units. Now you pay $600-$1,000 for EITHER sound or sequencer. Everyone gave up in lieu of samplers enteeing the picture, so it seems. I get it, I love samplers, but not as much as I love chaining these boxes together. Also that proper mid-fi they offer. Great machines that are hiding their age more and more these days imo.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bearstripes » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:15 pm

For drum machines the ss/bs buzzz is killer especially the mid scoop mode.

For synths bitquest is my favorite. I use the reverd with an expression pedal to do like epic swells and keep my hands free for knob turnin. Every mode is usable and sounds good. Also any delay I own is great. And totally agree with the ps 3 and mini. Phasers are rad. Even like big muffs when I turn the gain down.
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby resincum » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 pm

i use a rat to sound like tim hecker
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby cantremember » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:25 pm

My synth/drum machine setup so far is a 856>tensor>condor and I'm pretty happy with the results but I'm still searching for a reverb and or delay to go with it. I usually use the 856 and tensor to make some droned out loops. I run the condor thru the fx loop on my mixer to make everything sound better and it can add a little bit of dirt if I'm looking for that. I have been experimenting with reverb and delays and so far I like the merc7 and nemesis out of the ones I have in my collection but I'm not 100% into them yet.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Next

Return to General Gear