What power supply would you get?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

What power supply would you get?

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Unfortunately TrueTone 1-SPOTs are super rare here, and the only way I can get the supply + cables is via two sites far away from each other. It will come to about 1,000 NOK. At that price I can get these locally:

Decibel 11 Hot Stone SMD
Randall Multi Voltage Pedal PSU
T-Rex FuelTank Classic
T-Rex FuelTank Chameleon
MXR M237 DC Brick
T-Rex FuelTank Jr.
Mooer Macro Power S8
Mooer Micro Power
Riot Black Box

A somewhat wimpy selection, but at least it's something.

Any tips on what would be prudent here? I have the following pedals (which require power):
-DOD FX 91 Bass Overdrive (don't actually use it tbf)
-DigiTech Death Metal Distortion
-DigiTech Digiverb
-MXR Distortion+
-DanElectro Fab Tone
-BOSS DD-3

I'm obtaining shortly:
-BOSS FS-5L
-BOSS PS (whichever I can find)
-BOSS TU 2 or 3
-BOSS RV-6

And not so shortly (when I get rich):
-Electro Harmonix MEL-9
-MXR Carbon Copy Bright or Deluxe

I'm not planning on getting any more, but hey, you know how it is. So extra room would be nice.
Last edited by VREEEEVROOOOOW on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Re: What power supply would you get?

Postby misterstomach » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Get something with actual isolated outputs, which the D.C. brick does not have. I don't think the fuel tank stuff does either but I'm not sure. I don't know much about the others. I have a bbe supa charger. It was reasonably priced and I've been happy with it for years. I like that it can do North American or euro power cause I wish that was a concern in my life, but it's not.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:43 am

The FuelTank Chameloen has "5 Galvanically isolated blocks with 300 mA each". It looks like this:

So 1500mA in total. Would that be fine for my projected 12 pedals? (The 12 above minus the DOD which I don't actually use, plus a passive volume pedal.)

Here's a list with the current draws I was able to find:

-BOSS TU-2 55mA Max (TU-3 30mA, 85mA with "high brightness")
-Electro-Harmonix Mel9 ~100mA
-DigiTech Death Metal ~21mA
-DigiTech Digiverb ~75mA, supposedly max 300mA(??)
-MXR Carbon Copy Bright 26mA
-MXR Distortion+ 2.5mA
-BOSS RV-6 65mA
-BOSS FV-500H (passive)
-Danelectro Fab Tone 10mA
-BOSS DD-3 35mA
-BOSS PS-3 70mA
-BOSS FS-5L (no clue what to do about this)

That should be about 450-500mA in total. No clue about how to chain them though. Maybe TIAS? And then isolate troublesome stuff. I'm a complete noob with this stuff.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:22 pm

The Carl Martin Power Pro seems a perhaps even better fit?

"8 individual isolated and regulated 9v (100mA) – 12v (90mA) outputs, with extended power at output 7-8 9v (300mA) 12v (200mA)".

Maybe an even better fit? "Only" 1200mA, but less daisy chaining. As far as I can tell from power nerds, the most important thing of all is isolation.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby misterstomach » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:31 pm

I would want more than 5 outputs with what you have. And you don't need them to all be 300mA. As much as it's nice to have an out for each pedal, that's not a reality for most of us. I usually figure that dirt pedals are usually fine with being daisy chained. Same with utility pedals like tuners and loop switchers and stuff. I like to try to give digital pedals their own power, but in a pinch you can usually find something they'll get along with. Usually a true bypass pedal that you're not going to use at the same time is a good place to start. With as many digital pedals as you have, I'd go with something like the thing posted above with 8 outs or more and a couple that can do high output.
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 pm

I also think everyone should use a true bypass tuner. And there's just so much better options than boss tuners these days. Boss makes a lot of good stuff, but fuck those tuners. They're not even very accurate.
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:18 am

I don't really see any other viable option here at that price point. I'll have to almost double the cash to get two more outputs. If you think 8 outputs will be sufficient for 11 pedals (well, maybe 10, IDK what to do about the FS-5L), that's probably what I'll go for. (Also, the Mel9 might not be a viable option for my sound, so it might be replaced with another reverb pedal, which will probably be a simpler pedal that draws less.)

P.S.
Suggestions for cheap true bypass chromatic tuners welcome.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:47 am

Isn't the Pitchblack true bypass? It's pretty sweet.

To be honest I'd probably just daisy chain most of em, 5 outputs should be plenty.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pladask » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 am

I use the blue Scuru power supply. I think it's from caline. It's dirt cheap and has 8 isolated outputs. Never had any issues with it, but don't have a high-end PSU like the Strymon stuff to compare it with.
Pladask

committed
committed

Postby misterstomach » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:47 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Isn't the Pitchblack true bypass? It's pretty sweet.

To be honest I'd probably just daisy chain most of em, 5 outputs should be plenty.

Pitchblack is great and pretty cheap too.
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Got the Pitchblack today. It's great. Got it even cheaper than what TU-3s go for here, and it's very nice. 200mA DC out too.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 am

D.o.S. wrote:Isn't the Pitchblack true bypass? It's pretty sweet.

Yeah I have a PSU with 8 outputs and I use 3 or 4 of them typically to hook up about 10 pedals. With 5 outputs and your pedals with some daisy chaining you would be absolutely fine.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rustywire » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 am

misterstomach wrote:I would want more than 5 outputs with what you have. And you don't need them to all be 300mA. As much as it's nice to have an out for each pedal, that's not a reality for most of us. I usually figure that dirt pedals are usually fine with being daisy chained. Same with utility pedals like tuners and loop switchers and stuff. I like to try to give digital pedals their own power, but in a pinch you can usually find something they'll get along with. Usually a true bypass pedal that you're not going to use at the same time is a good place to start. With as many digital pedals as you have, I'd go with something like the thing posted above with 8 outs or more and a couple that can do high output.

This is a practical approach until it isn't; however it should work well as solution for OP. The added utility of a Boss tuner being you can daisy chain other pedals up to an additional 200mA. Great for the boost, eq, od & distortion, but higher draw digital delay/reverb seem to breathe a bit better in their own isolated output, take advantage of their lower noise floor. YMMV
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 am

Hey, rustywire. Not sure if you read the rest of the thread. I got a different tuner (which also has 200mA out though). I'm leaning towards the 8 output supply. My revised list of pedals that need power is:

-BOSS DD-3 35mA
-BOSS PS-3 70mA
-BOSS RV-5 50mA
-BOSS RV-6 65mA
-Danelectro Fab Tone 10mA
-DigiTech Digiverb ~75mA, supposedly max 300mA(??)
-Korg Pitchblack 45mA (outputs 200mA)
-MXR Carbon Copy Bright 26mA
-MXR Distortion+ 2.5mA
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby Jero » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm

With that low of draw/smaller amount of pedals, you can easily run every supply you've listed. Others have mentioned, you don't need one output per pedal.
I run 15-19 pedals off a cheap mosky power station, with multiple pedals running off each output. Something with higher mA, I will give it's own, but I think I have as many as 5 pedals being powered off one output. There is a little bit of noise with this supply though (nothing crazy, but some), and I doubt all the outputs are truly isolated. Been a while since I bought it; I don't recall if I ever tried to check.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear