let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Postby frigid midget » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Pretty sure someone already mensioned the Yellowcake Furry Burrito? Figured it's on-topic enough to share that I just made a low ball bid for one.
I'm not expecting any miracles from it, but the two drive controls and the starve options made it seem worth a shot.

Is it me, or do Mosfet overdrives typically don't like to be used on their own, in front of a really clean amp? :idk:

I always thought dirt pedals prefer clean platforms, but that only seems the case with my fuzz pedals, not so much with my dod gunslinger :idk:

So yeah, I'm now hoping a rat-ish pedal (even though I swore I'd never fall for a rat again) will do the trick.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Yellowcake's Furry Burrito is an interesting rodent. It's significantly darker than a stock Rat overall, provides superior bass thumpage with the fat switch engaged, and offers more fine tuning around gain character. More than passable Muff textures also emerge with a bit of tweaking, and certain starve settings make crunchy horn fuzz with muted pick attack possible. I've actually been incorporating mine into the latest incarnation of my board and still dig the aforementioned starve textures verily.

In related news and against my better judgement, the Little Bear R.attack is starting to seem appealing again ... though it would probably overlap a great deal with my Earthbound Audio V3 Iron Pig.
Last edited by ck3 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:47 am

Well...i hope you're right, the seller just agreed to that low ball offer :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ognoy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:50 am

Anyone running some kind of tone-shaper pedals with their Rats?
I'm running a always-on EP-booster after my rat, and it sounds ace. Adds low end and magic.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 am

frigid midget wrote:Well...i hope you're right, the seller just agreed to that low ball offer :)

Congrats. Even if its Rat capabilities aren't up to snuff, the starve and Muff textures may be worth the low-ball price of admission.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:40 am

My second Little Bear R.attack experience has been more satisfying overall. First and foremost, there are no apparent defects or malfunctions. Total QC roulette win.

Certain aspects of the design also appear modified with the latest batch. I'm not sure what practical purpose holes to the immediate left of all three knobs serve other than interlocking with something underneath. Either way, the same three modes are still present, but the disparity between their output levels seems greater.

"Dir" is the quietest of the three (close to dimed equals unity gain) and excellent for oversaturated doom riffing, while "Tur" provides a super high output drive/boost combo, and "Vin" yields balanced overdrive that can venture into distortion territory. Definitely something for most if not all Rat enthusiasts here.

I currently have all four of my Rat variants on the same board and look forward to comparing the R.attack with an Earthbound Audio Iron Pig, Valeton Dark Tale, and Yellowcake Furry Burrito. Hours of LM308 driven bliss are yet to come.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 am

Figured I'd resurrect this beeacht for a short report on my NPD...

My Yellowcake Furry Burrito arrived a couple days ago. Haven't been able to turn it off. Not that I'm eating all my words, I've gotten bored with rats a long time ago, and still think they're picky with amps/guitars...

But after hearing my buddy's proco rat through his old Marshall JMP... :love:
I just had to look for my own rat-type pedlol. My pedal collection hasn't been this big in ages, and still I didn't have anything that qualifies as a 'distortion'. Everything's either a true fuzz, or a clear and open sounding od, or a cheap old bees in a jar death metal type pedal.

So yeah, *any* decent distortion pedal was welcome. Don't have a stock Rat to compair the Burrito to, but it's definitely darker, which I like A LOT.
The harshness and fizz is one of things I disliked about my old rats. I don't really see why I'd want two seperate controls for the same basic thing though. The differences between the 'gain' and 'drive' sections are subtle enough to blend in one single control impo, it's not like you get an actual fuzz effect and an overdrive effect or anything. The filter control is also a bit too limited to rely on for actual auto wah type of effects. It's kinda subtle and only really noticeable when you play single notes in a...auto wah kinda way, if that makes any sense at all...:idk:

Anyyway, all that matters to me personally: More gain/grit and more low end than what I remember from my old proco rats. The Ruet'z mod didn't add this much bass to my rat, and it killed a ton of gain, turning the pedal into a low gain overdrive, instead of a high gain distortion. And I know I get both all the low end I need, AND enough gain so I don't need to tap dance or use a looper for a Rat+Muff combo or anything...

I might hang on to this one for a while :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby benjuro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 am

I have tried a few different ProCos, an Acid Age Acid Pig, Walrus Iron Horse, and an EQD Tusk (believe this was 308-based dirt...?).

Couldn't get excited about the circuit until I found the Fuzzrocious Cat Tail, which is just pure awesome. The separate hi and low clipping controls is GENIUS.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:41 pm

benjuro wrote:I have tried a few different ProCos, an Acid Age Acid Pig, Walrus Iron Horse, and an EQD Tusk (believe this was 308-based dirt...?).

Couldn't get excited about the circuit until I found the Fuzzrocious Cat Tail, which is just pure awesome. The separate hi and low clipping controls is GENIUS.

Eloborate on the Cat Tail please...

I always thought it was just a rat with the usual clipping options and a couple other popular diy mods...Right? :idk:
Besides those high/low clipping switches...how does it compare to those other ones you tried?
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:41 am

frigid midget wrote:
benjuro wrote:I have tried a few different ProCos, an Acid Age Acid Pig, Walrus Iron Horse, and an EQD Tusk (believe this was 308-based dirt...?).

I always thought it was just a rat with the usual clipping options and a couple other popular diy mods...Right? :idk:
Besides those high/low clipping switches...how does it compare to those other ones you tried?

I think that the thing tho, that it is "just a rat with mods" so it sound like an old rat you can tweak more and have turbo mode clipping and stuff
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm

qersty wrote:
frigid midget wrote:

I think that the thing tho, that it is "just a rat with mods" so it sound like an old rat you can tweak more and have turbo mode clipping and stuff

Cheers, that's what I figured. Checked the schematics, looks like I should be able to butcher a regular rat to give it the same options and tweakability :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby benjuro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:55 pm

frigid midget wrote:

There's a clipping switch that gives you the option of Si/None/LED (which I believe are the typical rat mods...) but the beauty of the CT is the high and low controls--those two knobs separately control the amount of clipping in the high and low range of the EQ, which just gives incredible control over the voicing and the ability to dial in both blown-out bottom end and cutting highs, as an example.

It also just seems to have a more usable EQ range than any of the other rodents, and the ability to more easily dial out the fizz.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:01 pm

benjuro wrote:
frigid midget wrote:

There's a clipping switch that gives you the option of Si/None/LED (which I believe are the typical rat mods...) but the beauty of the CT is the high and low controls--those two knobs separately control the amount of clipping in the high and low range of the EQ, which just gives incredible control over the voicing and the ability to dial in both blown-out bottom end and cutting highs, as an example.

It also just seems to have a more usable EQ range than any of the other rodents, and the ability to more easily dial out the fizz.

Are the high and low gain controls just the standard ruetz mods? Or is there more mojo at play here?
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby benjuro » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:48 am

WORMDIRT wrote:
Are the high and low gain controls just the standard ruetz mods? Or is there more mojo at play here?

Good question :idk:
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:44 am

WORMDIRT wrote:
benjuro wrote:
frigid midget wrote:

Most likely, the cap vales may have been changed but I doubt it because Ryan seems to be somewhat a purist when it comes to the rat tone
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear