let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:14 am

A while back Skullservant built me a rat with baxandall high/low tone controls on top of the regular filter. It's a pretty useful addition.
I accidentally ran it at 18volts and it sounds fantastic that way.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:25 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am

SolidGoldFX brought back their Rat in white. (batch of 25)

https://reverb.com/shop/solidgoldfx

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu May 28, 2020 10:38 am

OHHH that looks nice!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Mike fr. Fresno is sellin' an "Isaiah's Gear Outlet" Rat clone & it's purple:

https://reverb.com/item/33960122-isaiah ... -rat-clone

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: let's list every Rat clone

Postby penelope tree » Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am

theavondon wrote:
codetocontra wrote:Does ProCo count for making clones of their original circuit? Totally got high on their own supply.

Oh, Roadkill? Brat? The Solo? Whatever the fuck the FatRat is? Totally counts.

Has anyone here tried a Fat Rat? Seems intriguing.
penelope tree

committed
committed

Postby mcatano » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Q for the folks here who have the 1981 DRV pedal... I just built a clone of one on a pedalpcb board and I want to check if mine is putting out as much volume as it should be.
If I look at the EQ curve in my DAW, just strumming an open chord the DRV doesn't get to unity in the low end (say, anything below about 200Hz) until the volume is at about 2:00. There's a decent bump to the mids and highs at that setting.
This seems pretty similar to an OG rat/rat2—just wanted to confirm that this is how the actual 1981 pedal behaves?
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby John Matrix » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:26 pm

I've been using a Rat as my main distortion for a long ass time (Earthbound Audio Iron Pig) and I have no intention of changing...but there is something that it does that I battle with on occasion and while I have never owned any other Rats I think this is a trait that is common to them. On higher gain settings and especially with certain diodes this happens. When I hit the strings hard enough there is a big bassy boom on the attack. It kinda blows out the sound for a second before dropping down to the distorted tone. Like...BOOooowwwwwww. I dont really know how else to describe it. Anyway, I find this annoying and shitty sounding but I'm guessing this might not bug other people and might even be the thing they like about the pedal. Do you know what I'm talking about? Is this something you like or do you also think it sucks?

EDIT: some more internet searching has led me to the word "sag" being thrown around to describe this effect.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby backwardsvoyager » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:12 pm

^ I use an '86 ProCo and I don't feel like the 'sag' is as pronounced as you're describing, but I'm not really a fan of it either.
I'm a low gain RAT fan, so I avoid that by keeping the gain down and juicing with other pedals for heavier sounds.

Also to add to the RAT Pack:
https://bluecolander.bigcartel.com/product/tremond
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby omarwhite » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 am

i noticed i get this same thing when the Super Hard On, which is in front of it in the chain, is boosted slightly too high. when i turn the SHO down slightly, it's gone... assuming we are talking about the same thing
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:42 pm

John Matrix wrote:I've been using a Rat as my main distortion for a long ass time (Earthbound Audio Iron Pig) and I have no intention of changing...but there is something that it does that I battle with on occasion and while I have never owned any other Rats I think this is a trait that is common to them. On higher gain settings and especially with certain diodes this happens. When I hit the strings hard enough there is a big bassy boom on the attack. It kinda blows out the sound for a second before dropping down to the distorted tone. Like...BOOooowwwwwww. I dont really know how else to describe it. Anyway, I find this annoying and shitty sounding but I'm guessing this might not bug other people and might even be the thing they like about the pedal. Do you know what I'm talking about? Is this something you like or do you also think it sucks?

EDIT: some more internet searching has led me to the word "sag" being thrown around to describe this effect.

This is indeed Sag and this rules.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:34 pm

mcatano wrote:Q for the folks here who have the 1981 DRV pedal... I just built a clone of one on a pedalpcb board and I want to check if mine is putting out as much volume as it should be.
If I look at the EQ curve in my DAW, just strumming an open chord the DRV doesn't get to unity in the low end (say, anything below about 200Hz) until the volume is at about 2:00. There's a decent bump to the mids and highs at that setting.
This seems pretty similar to an OG rat/rat2—just wanted to confirm that this is how the actual 1981 pedal behaves?

A real DRV is dramatically louder than the PedalPCB trace is.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby John Matrix » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:12 pm

vidret wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:
John Matrix wrote:I've been using a Rat as my main distortion for a long ass time (Earthbound Audio Iron Pig) and I have no intention of changing...but there is something that it does that I battle with on occasion and while I have never owned any other Rats I think this is a trait that is common to them. On higher gain settings and especially with certain diodes this happens. When I hit the strings hard enough there is a big bassy boom on the attack. It kinda blows out the sound for a second before dropping down to the distorted tone. Like...BOOooowwwwwww. I dont really know how else to describe it. Anyway, I find this annoying and shitty sounding but I'm guessing this might not bug other people and might even be the thing they like about the pedal. Do you know what I'm talking about? Is this something you like or do you also think it sucks?

This is indeed Sag and this rules.

this description of your issues with the iron pig is what pushed me over the edge to finally get one.

I can buy yours :lol:

haha. Well, despite my bitching about the sag thing I do really love the pedal. Every time I try something else I just end up setting it to sound as close as possible to the Iron Pig sound that I like. It's so adjustable that it's easy to get the sag if you want it or dial it out. The version I have is the oldest one which has a dist/od switch instead of a blend knob and I think slightly different diode options. The no doides setting is one of the nastiest tones around. so sick.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby John Matrix » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:07 pm

vidret wrote:does the attack control affect the sag on the iron pig?

I looked at a demo but the attack control wasn't moved throughout

oh shit, well I guess that is another difference between mine and the newer ones. I don't have that knob on mine. For me the gain knob is the main tool for getting more or less sag. Also, certain diode settings have more of it. The no diodes setting and the LED setting get the most sag while the silicon setting doesn't get there easily.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear