let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Postby echorec » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:09 pm

Has anyone played both the Iron Pig and the Mountain? I've been looking for a Rat to color synth bass/ disintegrating pads / loops / drum machines.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Donny's Rat curiousity is really payin' off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YI2EfwJEiY

:love: :doom:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ck3 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:55 pm

Wot? No You Dirty Rat? Still sounds pretty cataclysmariffic.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 am

Did I ever post this? Pots date to '87-88 IIRC.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby chromewaves_ » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:14 pm

I did a little shootout of a few Rats last week. Retiring my 80s Rat 2 in favour of something a little more pedalboard friendly - contenders were a Stomp Under foot Skinner Box, Foxpedal Wrath V2, and Tomsline Black Teeth.

first, as a baseline - I've had my Rat 2 since like 1996 and it has been a mainstay on my board since then. I pulled it this past Winter in favour of a Barber Direct Drive because I thought I wanted to get more Marshall-y and amp-like, but while it's also a great pedal, for the post-punk/shoegaze-y stuff I do the Rat topology is just better. But I have never loved the form factor of the Rat, how awkward and big it is to mount on the board, so I've been looking for an 'ultimate rat' that will give me a "better" version of the Rat sound in a smaller footprint. nb - as much as I loved my Rat 2, I only found it usable in a fairly narrow set of control settings. no matter what I tried, I always ended up back around volume @ 11:00, filter @ 1:00, and distortion @ 1:00 or thereabouts. Thick and defined distortion that's not too fuzzy and maintains that high-end scratchiness that I've learned to love.

Tomsline Black Teeth - probably the same circuit as the Mooer Black Secret, but with a third setting to go with the vintage/turbo rat settings. At first blush, sounds great. Aggressive, thick, defined. A little bright and maybe not as much clarity in the distortion as I'd like. The sweep of the distortion knob isn't great, goes from low to nearly full at around 9:00 and just gets thicker from there. Definitely better at high gain than low. the tiny black pots for volume and filter have no contrast settings markers, so I use the center detents to figure out where I am. I found myself preferring the Turbo mode if just for feeling like I've got more volume and headroom. the vintage setting, comparatively, is pretty quiet.

Stomp Under Foot Skinner Box - MXR-sized box, simple but tidy red sparkle finish and graphics, standard Rat controls. Boasts a vintage metal can LM308 and is supposedly based on the original bud box Rat from the 70s. Loads of gain and volume on tap, very effective filter sweep. Is voiced quite brightly, what bottom end is there is pretty tight. Lots of clarity in the distortion, feels really nice and fun to play.

Foxpedal Wrath V2 - a little bigger in all dimensions than the Skinner Box but top-mounted jacks so probably a wash as far as real estate goes. Very handsome-looking graphics. Also has a NOS LM308 but maybe the normal IC style rather than metal can. Adds a toggle switch for essentially vintage/turbo settings and a 'sweep' knob that controls the degree of the reutz mod applied to the tone. it's a pretty subtle control that sounds like it makes the range of the filter sweep darker? Compared to the Skinner Box, it's definitely quieter and has less gain, even in turbo mode. Also voiced darker overall, with a bigger low end, less extended high end and more complexity in the midrange.

So still undecided between the Skinner Box and the Wrath. Looks and tweakability go to the Foxpedal, but the SUF sounds more like the snarly classic Rat, although I doubt I'll ever gone above 12:00 on the gain. Also wondering if I might like having the bigger low end after I adjust my expectations of what a Rat should sound like. Will also be trying it through my other amp - a very British and darker-voiced Trace Elliot on EL84s - to see how their relative bright/dark characters translate.

----- further testing --------

so it'll be the Skinner Box. I found that I was trying to make the Wrath sound like the Skinner Box, but it just couldn't quite get the same degree of openness and string-to-string clarity. It sounded very good on its own merits and is probably more versatile, but I don't need the darker sounds it's capable of and it was always just a little more compressed and less organic sounding than the SUF.
chromewaves_

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm

^Nice write-up. :thumb:

Also, Donny's vid didn't have one of these:

https://reverb.com/item/28160932-rat-r2du-1984-black

Seems like a deal there. I'll bet they sound great together. :idk: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby qersty » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:54 pm

dat maxon doe..
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dunbine » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Good deals: DannDubbleEwe, D.o.S., nevada, lordgalvar, Jwar, baremountain, LaoWiz, Jero, Cody_Pole, goroth
dunbine

Supporter
Supporter

Postby codetocontra » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:29 am

chromewaves_ wrote:Image

But I have never loved the form factor of the Rat, how awkward and big it is to mount on the board,

How dare you. I love the squarish box that gives the finger to so many rectangles next to it. It says "I am here, I am different than you, can take a beating, had top jacks before they were cool, and I glow in the fucking dark."
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:23 am

Yeah, I get gas whenever I open this thread and see one of those sexy squares. :love:
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby codetocontra » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:29 am

Eivind August wrote:Yeah, I get gas whenever I open this thread and see one of those sexy squares. :love:

If only it oscillated, amirte? You should seek out the wizard known as JonnyAngle tho, he has a quest for you...
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:09 am

codetocontra wrote:
Eivind August wrote:Yeah, I get gas whenever I open this thread and see one of those sexy squares. :love:

If only it oscillated, amirte? You should seek out the wizard known as JonnyAngle tho, he has a quest for you...

A quest to rip, perhaps.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby doommeow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 pm

i'm generally anti-rat, but this life pedal thing doesn't sound half bad. i guess marketing does work.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:08 pm

No idea what's goin' on here, but get yours early for St. Paddy's day:

https://reverb.com/item/28494842-proco- ... e-shipping

:D
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chromewaves_ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:36 am

a couple entrants in the cheap, small footprint RAT category - both retail under $100.

Foxgear RATS
https://www.foxgearpedals.com/products/rats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4UUHGFZRs

Foxgear Ryder (modded RAT with germanium clipping diodes, co-signed by Doug Aldrich (Dio, Whitesnake, Dead Daisies))
https://www.foxgearpedals.com/products/ryder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1DfiSJhNR0
chromewaves_

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear