let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: let's list every Rat clone (and also just chat Rats)

Postby Jero » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Other than the ones listed of course, the Valeton Dark Tale
(listed as 308 plus bass/treble controls...and discontinued, but still available)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kevdes93 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Dunwich volt thrower
Laney, Orange, Sunn, Sound City, Dunwich
kevdes93

committed
committed

Postby theavondon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Jero wrote:Other than the ones listed of course, the Valeton Dark Tale
(listed as 308 plus bass/treble controls...and discontinued, but still available)

Ooooh, and it's like $40. Interesting.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:19 pm

theavondon wrote:

Indeed! Was just talking with someone in the pedalboard thread that has one. Said it's a good basic rat with extra controls and higher gain range. Pretty tempting!
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Sonaboy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:52 pm

MXR Bass Distortion

Fuzzrocious worked with them on it, based it on a 308 chippppP
Sonaboy

committed
committed

Postby Derelict78 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Funny, I have not ever owned a rat or a rat clone but I use a emulation of one almost exclusively for my dirt in Bias FX.
Last edited by Derelict78 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Here's a challenge...Name every company/brand that DOESN'T sell a rat clone :snax:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Derelict78 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Dwarfcraft
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:47 pm

frigid midget wrote:Here's a challenge...Name every company/brand that DOESN'T sell a rat clone :snax:

I'll start with these:

Boss
EQD
Digitech
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Derelict78 wrote:Dwarfcraft

Which pedal is Rat based? I don't recall a Dwarfcraft rat.

Proco for the win though. I've tried a bunch and nothing beats the original.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 pm

That was for the "who doesn't make a rat clone"
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:00 am

tremolo3 wrote:
frigid midget wrote:Here's a challenge...Name every company/brand that DOESN'T sell a rat clone :snax:

I'll start with these:

Digitech

The Hot Rod distortion has a Rat mode (though it's technically a digital simulation).

Jero wrote:
theavondon wrote:

Indeed! Was just talking with someone in the pedalboard thread that has one. Said it's a good basic rat with extra controls and higher gain range. Pretty tempting!

The EQ controls have an insane amount of range, too. It does everything from icepick treble to earthshaking bass, though it takes a bit of tweaking to find sweet spots. Also, they tend to be 15% off during most Reverb sales, as do most other Valeton offerings.

Another Rat variant worth mentioning is the Yellowcake Furry Burrito. With dual gain controls, a bass boost switch, an external voltage starve trimmer, darker tonal character than a stock Proco unit, and plenty of output on tap, all sorts of aural mayhem is possible. It excels at producing Muff-ish Rat hybrid gain textures and crusty horn timbres with a bow-like attack. Slightly decreased voltage also creates the same effect as using a carbon zinc battery with DC power.

The aforementioned Iron Pig is my favorite Rat clone at the moment. I snagged a V3 during the preorder period, which could almost be my only dirt. The germanium mode is extra fuzzy-licious. Think EQD Grey Channel Ge mode, but ten shades meaner.

Does anyone have experience with the Caroline Wave Cannon? I recall reading somewhere about it being Rat-based. If this is true, the addition of a mid control, momentary oscillation footswitch, and dual gain modes make it extremely tempting, though the Furry Burrito probably covers similar territory.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ts50b » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 am

ck3 wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Caroline Wave Cannon? I recall reading somewhere about it being Rat-based. If this is true, the addition of a mid control, momentary oscillation footswitch, and dual gain modes make it extremely tempting, though the Furry Burrito probably covers similar territory.

I’m not sure about the Wave Cannon mkI/Cannonball, but they cover similar ground so it’s possible. The Wave Cannon mkII is based on the Invader preamp in the Kilobyte/Meteore/Parabola though
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 am

Rat Clone Playlist for y'all while you read through this thread.

Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby theavondon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Derelict78 wrote:Funny, I have not ever owned a rat or a rat clone but I use a emulation of one almost exclusively for my dirt in Bias FX.

A friend of mine who records was telling me how he's always hated Rats, but was recording this guitar solo once and put a rat emulation on it and was like "Oh! That's why people use them."

ck3 wrote:Another Rat variant worth mentioning is the Yellowcake Furry Burrito. With dual gain controls, a bass boost switch, an external voltage starve trimmer, darker tonal character than a stock Proco unit, and plenty of output on tap, all sorts of aural mayhem is possible. It excels at producing Muff-ish Rat hybrid gain textures and crusty horn timbres with a bow-like attack. Slightly decreased voltage also creates the same effect as using a carbon zinc battery with DC power.

The aforementioned Iron Pig is my favorite Rat clone at the moment. I snagged a V3 during the preorder period, which could almost be my only dirt. The germanium mode is extra fuzzy-licious. Think EQD Grey Channel Ge mode, but ten shades meaner.

The yellowcake sounds interesting. I like the idea of doing something (even not that outrageously) new with the Rat circuit. The ProCo Solo does a similar thing by adding a BMP tonestack to a Rat, which is neat to come straight from the source.

Heard good things about the Iron Pig, too. IDK why I've never tried one, I love the supercollider. Also need to get a throat locust.

zero idea bout the wave cannon tho
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear