Let's just pretend it was all a bad dream. Thank you ILF!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Montreal Assembly 856 v2 Tour of Love NO MORE FOR NOW!!!

Postby multi_s » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:29 pm

just to state why its laid out like that:

see the brackets around the controls? the left 10 controls are in the N group for Note, since all the controls relate to what the manual states is a note. ie the envelope, pitch, gain, etc. these all affect 1 copy of the recorded loop. N1,2,3 switch chooses which copy you are working on.

T section in top right is all stuff related to Tempo

P for preset (loading and saving)

R for recording mode, this is the global recording mode.

so i would say it is actually already laid out by related functions (:

maybe that will help whoever else is trying it out on the tour.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby zoooombiex » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:20 pm

multi_s wrote:just to state why its laid out like that:

see the brackets around the controls? the left 10 controls are in the N group for Note, since all the controls relate to what the manual states is a note. ie the envelope, pitch, gain, etc. these all affect 1 copy of the recorded loop. N1,2,3 switch chooses which copy you are working on.

T section in top right is all stuff related to Tempo

P for preset (loading and saving)

R for recording mode, this is the global recording mode.

so i would say it is actually already laid out by related functions (:

maybe that will help whoever else is trying it out on the tour.

s

I do get that those things are related and labeled accordingly. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying there was no relationship at all in how the controls are laid out.

What I was trying to say is that because many of the controls serve multiple purposes, there are many situations where the grouping doesn't seem to accurately indicate relations between controls. (Or at least it makes it much more complicated to explain in the manual when controls are performing somewhat unrelated functions in different settings.)

Eg, the repeat controls are in the t/tempo section, but at least to me they are more logically related to the note sets than tempo, as they are applying repeats to n2 or n3 and not affecting the tempo.

Similarly, the record toggle in the "r" section changes the function of the tempo controls. If that functionality were on a separate toggle in the tempo section it would probably be more intuitive and easier to see/explain.

Another eg, the uni switch is on a toggle that relates to the note set length rather than with the pitch controls

Eg, The fbk switch is with the gain/fade controls rather than with the record function

Theres no right/wrong in any of that. But I think those kinds of things add up and contribute to the learning curve.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby multi_s » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 pm

yes the r is like the global mode. it changes many things. you can think of it like m switch on ct5. the way the pedal works changes a lot depending on this. it should be teh first thing you set, like how do you want te device to behave. r=b: your recording sets the tempo, free: the knob sets the tempo. AREC is like R=B except your first recording sets the tempo, then the pedal keeps recording and looping with that tempo. These are 3 pretty different settings so i would say definitely pick one first, then work with the notes etc.

you can think of repeats tied to tempo in the sense that the tempo schedules the playback of the notes. repeats will add more instances in the scheduler for the respective note (note 2 or 3 only). Perhaps T should stand for timing, the controls tend to adjust the timing of the notes etc.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby affectperdals » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:03 am

First, this is a dope idea. Second, reading through all of it made me bust it out for the last hour.... so thanks :) I'm still confused, haha
affectperdals

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am

OMG the responses. You guys are killing my brain! LOL! I'll need to read these like 10 times. :)

For what it's worth, I found the manual to be super straight forward. I couldn't be confused because it's a step by step. Maybe people are overthinking it? I think that with this pedal, you could use a little cheat sheet each time you use it until it becomes like second nature. Once I figured out one little bit of the pedal, it was simple to redo that exact thing.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Thoughts on the last day with the tourbox ...

It's growing on me. It still seems to favor a studio environment as it can take a while to dial in a desired pattern/result and sometimes the in-between sounds as you get there can be not-subtle. But it does some very unique and interesting things. I don't think I'd throw down at the used prices, but if I get lucky on the next batch of new ones I'd definitely like to continue exploring. Thanks again to Jwar for this chance to give it a test-run!

Sorry I haven't had a chance to record anything. I'll see if I can get something tonight, but need to bang out some other work first.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby Jwar » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 am

YES! On the move again! Who's getting it next??? I dunno! DO you? LOL
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Timv » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Now to get extra crazy create a touchosc layout for it and control with MIDI, it goes above and beyond what you can do with the controls!
Timv

interested
interested

Postby Jwar » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Timv wrote:Now to get extra crazy create a touchosc layout for it and control with MIDI, it goes above and beyond what you can do with the controls!

I've never heard of those! That's the coolest thing I've probably seen in a long time.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 pm

I've got it now and it's a lot of fun. Will report further.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby doommeow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:23 pm

zoooombiex wrote: I received the 856 and got my first taste last night.

15 minutes of WTF
30 minutes of <mind blown>
1 hr - how do I rein this in to make it usable for me?

I missed out on the tourbox, but picked up an 856 in trade... WTF>mind blown>HOW? is pretty much my experience as well. Haven't properly sat down w the manual yet, but watched the magpie walkthrough twice. Still (mostly) happily lost.

The level of complexity with each new MTL release is staggering. It's as if Scott is single handedly trying to bring about the singularity...
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm

I actually found the tutorial that Montreal Assembly put in the manual really useful for understanding the functions so I made a video following those instructions:

http://mtlasm.blogspot.com/p/856-for-ze ... fw-11.html
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:02 am

Holy crap! That video is awesome!! I’m glad you got it in your hands and had some fun!!

Sorry for being so in and out on my own tourbox here. I’ve been extremely busy with work and dealing with other issues.

Trem should have the pedal now and then it’s on it’s way again!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am

Hey guys! Pedal is going from Trem to Bart soon! This puppy has been moving! :) Glad everyone is enjoying it!

I don't have address for a few people however. They may have accidentally been deleted, so please contact me.

I need addresses for

ALLisNOISE
Inconuucl

Thanks!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Inco bowed out upthread and 01010111 is moving to Korea.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear