2 Piece Baffle Board with Pocket Screws

Moderator: Ghost Hip

2 Piece Baffle Board with Pocket Screws

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:57 am

Hey y'all,

I know some of you (us) have made some cabinets, and also some have woodworking knowledge.

I'm currently making a 1x12 combo cab for a buddy's mesa head. I use Baltic birch ply (5ft x 5ft), and currently have a whole half, and some scraps remaining after cutting out what was needed for the sides and top.

I'm pretty cheap, and want to know if you think a baffle constructed of 2 pieces, glued and pocket screwed together, would be sufficient for a 1x12 baffle board.

The obvious, correct thing to do would be to cut a single-piece baffle from my remaining half sheet, but why chop up a nice piece if I can make something functionally as good from my scrap?

Thoughts?
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Re: 2 Piece Baffle Board with Pocket Screws

Postby Jero » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:34 pm

I can't say from experience...but once the baffle is mounted I think it would be pretty solid, even if 2 piece, as more points of contact (vs unmounted where it has 2 small POC).

If your friend is paying for this, I think you should do it correct however :snax:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 pm

I'll side with Jero that you should probably do it right, but if it's glued and clamped and screwed together well it shouldn't be a problem.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:26 pm

I wouldn't even bother with the screws as they won't be adding strength by cutting through the joints between the veneers. If I absolutely had to do this I would make a lap joint and clamp it tightly after gluing. Done right the glue joint will be stronger than the wood.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:38 pm

I'd roll a 2 piece baffle for my personal use in a New York minute. Hell, might be fun to add laminates of different material in the joint and then stitch it together with wire.

So long as the brunt of experiment falls upon your own shoulders anything goes.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby misterstomach » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:44 pm

I'd agree that if you're friend is paying for it, you should do it right. However, if you're going to do two pieces, I would do biscuit or domino joints well glued and clamped and it'll probably be alright. I'd skip the pocket screws.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:29 am

Yeah, biscuits would be much better than pocket screws.

Or get fancy and finger joint the whole baffle.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 am

Regardless if he's paying or not, I think it's ok to use a two piece baffle AS LONG AS you do it right and it sounds good.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear