Looper Sync conundrum

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Looper Sync conundrum

Postby Christophe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 am

Hi fellas.
I'd like to use two amps, with an A/B pedal, with a looper going to each amp. Two separate lines. BUT, I want those two loopers to be in sync.
I was toying with the idea of having two Dittos x4 in sync, but Dittos only have a midi-through, so it's not possible to link them.
To put it differently, I'd like to have a 4-phrase looper, but I'd like to be able to dispatch 2 loops to one amp, 2 other loops to another amp.

How can I do that? Can you sync 2 Pigtronix infinity together? Can I use a midi external tap tempo of some sort and control two Dittos that way? (this has to be a guitar/pedal/amp rig, no computer...)
Is there/what are the options?
All your input is welcome!
Thanks thanks thanks
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Re: Looper Sync conundrum

Postby Paul_C » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am

I'm not an expert in midi stuff, but a midi clock pedal should do what you want.

Connect the clock to IN on #1 Ditto and then THRU from #1 to IN on #2.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks. Well I'm not an expert either... With what you suggest, ditto#2 is a slave to #1? If I press "stop" on #1, will it stop #2?
If I manipulate the in-built fx (like "reverse") on #2, how will #1 behave?
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Paul_C » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am

No idea, I'm afraid.

I googled the Ditto X4 manual which says in regard to the midi in & thru connectors "connect an external midi clock to keep your loops perfectly in sync".

The Disaster Area SMARTClock Gen3 Tap Tempo Controller has a list of compatible pedals which includes the Ditto X4.

This suggests to me that the DA Smartclock will send a signal which sets the tempo for the pedal, I assume that the midi thru sends that signal on to whatever else is in the chain, in this case a second X4, and that will sync up too.

Other than that I have no practical knowledge as to what might happen, but as far as I can see it shouldn't mean that the controls of either are affected, just the tempo.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am

The Digitech Jammans can sync with some kind of minijack cord.
A friend of mine is using one for guitar and one for vocals, and sync them that way. :)
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

Paul_C wrote:
This suggests to me that the DA Smartclock will send a signal which sets the tempo for the pedal, I assume that the midi thru sends that signal on to whatever else is in the chain, in this case a second X4, and that will sync up too.

Other than that I have no practical knowledge as to what might happen, but as far as I can see it shouldn't mean that the controls of either are affected, just the tempo.

Thanks for checking that up...
But this means: I have to predetermine a tempo, tap it on the Smartclock, and then I have to play something accordingly on the dittox4... Not an easy thing to do.
It's pretty different from having a 4-track looper....

ognoy wrote:The Digitech Jammans can sync with some kind of minijack cord.
A friend of mine is using one for guitar and one for vocals, and sync them that way. :)

Yep, I thought about the Lexicon Jamman too... But if I want 3 or 4 independant loops, It means 3 or 4 times the same looper....
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 pm

maybe look into a looper that has 2 or more loops on it. that way u only need 1 device and not mess w/ midi or sync protocol
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm

I've sync'd three X4's before using a midi clock, works well, for the most part. They do sometimes do this annoying repeated glitch thing that can only be wiped out by powering down.

The Jammans will only sync in a specific order so unless you want to start with the same looper every time, this isn't the solution for you.

The Boss RC-300 (and RC-50) has two inputs and four inputs and each loop can be assigned to each independently.

I currently use a 16 input/output soundcard with Circular Labs Mobius and sync all of them (or unsync if I choose). It's my favorite looping solution thus far.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:maybe look into a looper that has 2 or more loops on it. that way u only need 1 device and not mess w/ midi or sync protocol

Well unfortunately, loopers don’t have separate outputs for each track....
manymanyhaha wrote:I've sync'd three X4's before using a midi clock, works well, for the most part. They do sometimes do this annoying repeated glitch thing that can only be wiped out by powering down.

So not reliable for live performances....
Damn, I’m stuck...
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:49 pm

surely some do. EHX 2880 comes to mind. it has 4 tracks and left and right outputs and panning.

theres got to be more.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Boomerang IIIs can be synced with a midi clock.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Christophe wrote:Well unfortunately, loopers don’t have separate outputs for each track....

As I stated above, on the RC-300/RC-50, you can assign any track to either the Main or Sub outputs and using panning the L or R inputs can go only to L or R outputs. So you can have two separate channels and never get them crossed.

You can also do this on the X4 because the L input only goes to the L output and R input only goes to the R output, if using both inputs. But you can get them crossed (like if you are playing both amps at the same time, it will record both amps into the loop).

If the EHX and Boomerang are dual mono in this same sense, you could do the same with those too but again, you could get them crossed.

I always found it peculiar that the RC-300/RC-50 are the only multi-output (beyond stereo) loopers on the market.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:31 am

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:surely some do. EHX 2880 comes to mind. it has 4 tracks and left and right outputs and panning.

theres got to be more.

manymanyhaha wrote:
I always found it peculiar that the RC-300/RC-50 are the only multi-output (beyond stereo) loopers on the market.

Yeah, that's what I meant, almost no multi-output on the market. Well Ehx can be an option, if you can use L and R outputs like two mono outs, and work two amps from there...
RC-300 is too big, and -that's personal- the design is so uninspiring... ah ah!
Boomerang III... never played those... But it's probable they do the same glitchy error as the Ditto when sync-ed?
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Bon Hoga » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 am

Has anyone synced a Jamman Solo and a Jamman Stereo?
Bon Hoga

committed
committed

Postby drolo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Christophe wrote:Well Ehx can be an option, if you can use L and R outputs like two mono outs, and work two amps from there...

You can, just checked on mine :)

You can pan the dry signal as well as each of the 4 available tracks to the left or right output

2880's are getting old and not sure if they are easy to find on the market, but I guess the similar descendant models must be able to do that too
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear