Why isn't Behringer the most-hated company around?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Why isn't Behringer the most-hated company around?

Postby popvulture » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:20 am

D.o.S. wrote:Edit: my question was in general, though.

You subtle little poker, you.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:10 pm

frodog wrote:I have only their tube mic pre. It's not exactly an inspiring piece of kit but it gets the job done. It's completely defaced/sharpied/stickered/re-knobbed to obscure the branding though, as I do not like the name, for (of course non-intentional and entirely coincidental) murderer-related reasons. Will never buy one of their products again.

no to go OT but :?: The only thing I found was a rifle muzzle brake called MIC-100. I assume it was used on a gun in a recent shooting?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 pm

worra wrote:Never bought any of their stuff, never will. How nice of them to give me more reasons not to.

+1

and I feel i'm someone directly in their target market for an affordable analog 808 and 101 clone, but i've just never wanted to own any of their stuff. Can't even fully explain why :idk:
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:43 pm

echorec wrote:
aen wrote:Well, they're about the most despised in my house.
Copycats are one of my top pet peeves.

Heh. You actually already had a shoutout under #10. :)*

OH ZING/SNAP/POW!
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dungus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Well I read it and am convinced. Nice one, Echorec.

I cordially invite you to fuck right off and let the rest of us talk about music like adults.- dubkitty
Dungus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Seance » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I'm still hoping Trump blocks ILF on Twitter. :idk:

I guess you missed the news story from last month.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that Trump can't block users on Twitter.
First Amendment, yo.

http://thehill.com/regulation/389021-judge-rules-trump-cant-block-users-on-twitter
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:24 pm

:lol:

Didn't miss that, but since when does Trump really pay attention to the constitution or our courts (unless he's threatening to sue someone)?

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Seance » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Good point.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frodog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Jero wrote:
frodog wrote:I have only their tube mic pre. It's not exactly an inspiring piece of kit but it gets the job done. It's completely defaced/sharpied/stickered/re-knobbed to obscure the branding though, as I do not like the name, for (of course non-intentional and entirely coincidental) murderer-related reasons. Will never buy one of their products again.

no to go OT but :?: The only thing I found was a rifle muzzle brake called MIC-100. I assume it was used on a gun in a recent shooting?

It was the 2011 shooting in Norway, the company name unfortunately is similar to the dickhead's. It is kinda OT, just not something I'd want to have in my music area.

I read that piece though and it brings up many other reasons why I avoid.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:27 am

I'd like to note a few of the assumptions in the 'reasons why not' aren't going to apply to a lot of cases.

The "$300 to spend on something, buy another Moog product or a Dwarfcraft pedal...." - if I wanted those $300 items from Moog or DC, I'd buy them too. It's not a zero-sum game in that regard. Yes, cash for toys is finite, but not a case of "gun to head, must spend $300 and only $300 on a music item NOW."

For something like the Moog Model D clone, well, I'll be honest - $300 is about as much as I'm willing to pay for a monosynth. I don't care if it was made by elves or fair trade slackers or oppressed smurfs (hell, if the latter, I'd probably want one more, because, smurfs).

That said, I haven't bought said Model D clone because, well, I just can't bring myself to spend $300 on a...monosynth.

On the issue of "why didn't they make these twenty years ago", the truth is that there wasn't a market for it.

[more inc, hit submit stupidly]
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:36 am

They weren't a megacorp making that scale of things, and MIC products of the time weren't up to par in many cases - it was junkers all around in many cases. Same reason that tech products were still being done in Japan and Taiwan and sometimes Korea then. Couple that with the bottom-barrel prices for a lot of the older synth units pre-internet, and the slow uptake in interest in a lot of it...it was the same reason it took Fender years to do a Mustang again, or didn't touch "silverface" reissues.

And as far as "small 1-30 person companies" in the synth market, that too is a case of depends on who you're talking about. Most of those little people don't get my attention, both on price and availability issues beyond the products themselves. I'm happy with Roland stuff, I always have been. I've owned one of the Moog/Realistic things when they were dirt cheap, and played more expensive ones. No interest to go down that road at a $$$ premium now at all.

And it's not all clones of stuff either - I love, love, love my DeepMind 12. It's something I enjoy every single time I turn it on, and I'm always finding new things in it and it takes me places that make me not even think of the price. I work well with it, and make sounds with it that make me happy.

Same with the generic utility stuff of theirs I have. Cheap patchbay, well, is cheap patchbay. My recently retired V Amp Pro (still working, mind you) had a feature other modellers of the time didn't - rackmount format with the light up dials so that it was usable as a live studio tweaker and sounded decent enough if not limited like the Gen 1 modellers. And my X-Touch control surface does the job, and ironically, the motorized faders in it...are a Behringer thing...that they've built and provide to a bunch of other manufacturers.

But TLDR; it comes down to: does it work, does it do what I want, does it inspire?

I'm buying a consumer product, not a beast from hell.

If we're going to hate cloners, time to start slamming more than just JHS and Behringer.

Those aluminum necked guitars? Copies of Kramers. All those boutiquey copies of offsets? etc.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:56 am

Legendarily gauche. I have owned/used zero of their products this decade.
Last hands-on experience with one was a $40 usb DAC in 2009, which must have been shielded with single-ply tp, judging by the noise sent to any amp or receiving...receiver. Back it went within 24hr.

I will say that Deepmind12 has made me reevaluate, but I'd rather opt for a Prophet6 and/or 8 every time.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 am

rfurtkamp wrote: I don't care if it was made by elves or fair trade slackers or oppressed smurfs (hell, if the latter, I'd probably want one more, because, smurfs).

:trippy:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:Those aluminum necked guitars? Copies of Kramers Travis Bean. All those boutiquey copies of offsets? etc.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:03 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
rfurtkamp wrote:Those aluminum necked guitars? Copies of Kramers Travis Bean. All those boutiquey copies of offsets? etc.

Copies of Travis Bean and Velano inspired. The EGC Travis Bean stuff does have his widows/families approval though. Point taken though. There are companies who do nothing but basically copy big muffs and get nothing but praise.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear