New looper, how to sync to external click

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New looper, how to sync to external click

Postby frodog » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Faldoe wrote:Hijacking the thread to vent my frustration why more companies haven’t just made MIDI standard on their loopers. If Akai and Line 6 redid the Headrush and DL-4, adding midi so the two could be synced together it would be a beautiful thing.

The device shown above has the Jam Sync out: does the JMS have the sync feature? I thought it was only the single sized loopers that came out after it that had that feature...

My JMS XT has sync in/out minijacks in the back. I tried once to sync it with a PO12 but no go, the JM blasted right through it in all modes. I just make drum loops manually, but I want to try and build a circuit to tame that OTT signal.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Faldoe » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:49 pm

PeteeBee wrote:I really think we should make one. The new ehx looper is like $600 and still not perfect, with all the talented builders on here I’m sure we can figure out all the features that we want for less than that.

We, as in ILF. I don’t personally know anything about building pedals.

I imagine if it were possible, someone would have already figured out how to hack the DL-4. I'm not saying this is what you meant with the above post, but more stating a sad obvious thing is that already great devices can't be modded to do what we all want.

If the current devices could be modded that would be far more doable I think then a ground-up looper pedal.

I mentioned a redone DL-4 and Headrush but if someone could mod then to be synced I - and I imagine many others - would be beyond thrilled.

A lot of more advanced and option laden loopers kind of turn me off cause what I think makes a good looper is one that is straight forward and has the essential controls right there: record/over dub, play, stop.

Ian Willams of Don Cab is proof of that. And he also used multiple Headrushes. I'm not sure if he ever used both simultaneously by being such a pro with synching them with his feet.
Faldoe

Postby 01010111 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:51 pm

I think it’s be possible/easier to mod existing loopers with separate and dedicated tap-tempo button. Then you could wire a tap-tempo jack to bypass the switch and use something like the Disaster Area Designs midi to tap tempo converter.

It’s far from what I’d call an elegant solution, but it’d work...

Something like the solo jamman/RC-2 with midi-in would be perfect.

For a more gound-up solution, making something using Axioloti would work.

This actually seems like something that’s in Montreal Assembly’s wheelhouse. They already have the uber-complicated looper, so, a simple one with midi sync and start/rec and stop/tap switches seems like a logical extension of that work?

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear