Tube amp question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tube amp question

Postby sylnau » Wed May 23, 2018 6:57 pm

To have the best sound at home at low volume (clean sound pedal platform)… do you prefer an amp with lots of headroom (20 – 30 watt) and keep the volume low or you prefer a low wattage amp (1 – 5 watt)?
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Tube amp question

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 pm

I’m of the mind that low watt amps are best for cranking and higher watt (even up to 100w- the decibel difference is nominal- loudest amp I’ve ever played is a 50w Mesa Mark ii) are best as a clean platform. Caveat being that some bigger amps sound dull at low volumes, but EQ setting and even speaker can fix that.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Both make pleasant sounds.

You used the word clean though, which to me leans toward higher power capable set-ups. That's a generalization though..
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 am

I want actual headroom, which usually puts it at the 40-50w minimum - the tube types matter.

6L6 stays clean when hit while a 6V6 cries, even at apartment volume.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby duffmcshark » Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 am

The cleanest sounds come from turning the master volume up all the way and using the clean channel's volume or gain control to control the volume of the amp. The low watt amps are great for cranking and getting distorted at low volume, but in order to get the cleans loud enough you end up pushing that amp into overdrive / distortion territory (in this scenario we're using an amp with a master volume or separate volume and gain knobs). So get a more powerful amp and don't rule out solid state amps, which can be as neutral and clean of a pedal platform as you can imagine.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Postby D.o.S. » Thu May 24, 2018 5:21 am

Your first mistake is low volume.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 am

Obviously depends on the amp too. Earlier this week I got myself a 6L6 Blackstar Artisan 10 combo and have more than enough clean volume. I usually only play at just above tv watching volumes though.
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Thu May 24, 2018 5:43 am

Some amps have a great master volume so then the higher wattage is not a problem.

Personally I would go with something in between because I like that character of the tubes cooking a little bit but most 1 to 5 watt (or even 10 watt) amps sound too boxy to me.
Lots of these low to mid output amps are combo's and if they're not designed right they can make the sound even more boxy, then again you can say the same about some speaker cabinets (new Orange cabs come to mind).

My amps of choice would usually have EL84's or 6V6's, a duet or quartet of those is generally speaking good for me, but yeah you need to find a good one as not every amp is created equal and there's a lot of rubbish to pile through.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby calfzilla » Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 am

Even a low wattage amp can stay clean; just depends on the circuit. I have an Ampeg GVT15 that really only get a little crunchy when cranked (volume, gain, and middle have to be cranked). Only has two preamp tubes, so there's just not a ton of gain available with that setup and 6V6 output tubes. THD uni and bi valve also come to mind. Clean channel is 1 preamp tube.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby JTurbide » Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am

If you really just want a clean sound at low volume basically anything can do it in my experience (Deluxe Reverb, OR15, SS Peavey Standard PA, SS Traynor TS20).
I've only kept my two solid state amps because I only play in my appartment and can't really justify having a $600-1000 amp. I think those old solid state sound great but if you prefer tube go ahead, I mean basically every amp can do clean at low volume. If you also want some amp drive at low volume I'd get a master volume amp like an Orange , or you'll need an attenuator.

I'd personally look for an old Traynor or Peavey (tube or solid state). I paid a total of $200 CAD (and one was shipped form the US) for my TS20 + Peavey Standard PA 260. If you don't care about spending more than I'd personally look for a YBA since you are in Canada but it's gonna be fucking loud and I'd only get one for the gain.

TLDR: anything, I wouldn't pay alot just for cleans
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby rustywire » Thu May 24, 2018 12:01 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:I want actual headroom, which usually puts it at the 40-50w minimum - the tube types matter.

6L6 stays clean when hit while a 6V6 cries, even at apartment volume.

D.o.S. wrote:Your first mistake is low volume.

This. These :hobbes:

Push-pull circuits with octal type power tubes are going to give more usable cleans as a general rule. Higher power tubes are recommended. My personal favorite octal tube for guitar is the (well celebrated) el34 because of its midrange response & harmonic content throughout a wide sweetspot. When driven they dramatically compress more than other similar types. They are pentodes. The 6ca7 is the electrical equivalent...operating as a beam tetrode. Not the same but a different way to build an effective mousetrap: compare Marshall 2203 loaded with el34 to one with 6550s. They all provide the kerrrrang, with the 6550s having more clean volume on tap before breakup.

Nevertheless I adore those 34s but 6L6GC, KT66, 6550, KT88 are best suited for fat clean tones. 7027a is an option if you want to mess with alternate pinouts. Getting a cathode-biased amp is great for rolling tubes and finding what works/is preferred. Handling of the bottom end is what really seems to separate the wheat from the chaff. YMMV.

Ideally I want an amp using 2 power tubes to save on money (and tubes) because shit is expensive :whoa:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Thu May 24, 2018 12:24 pm

totally dependant on personal taste&style imo. I'm not that technical knowledgeable, so I don't know why, but for some reason I liked my 70s silver face twin reverb at living room volume levels, but the AC30 I had needed way more volume to shine :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Thu May 24, 2018 9:01 pm

There’s also how it’s biased and the B+ volts. And some of that tube v tube difference comes down to good old fashioned dissipation.

And that’s not even considering the preamp where substituting out AX7s to 5751 12AT7s or whatevs can help clean up an amp or eek out some more cleans.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 pm

My inclination is to lean on fixed bias as opposed to cathode bias for clean in a guitar amp, but I've enjoyed cathode bias hifi amps that offer massive cleans. I wouldn't rule out an old PA head or monoblock amp, if you're driving it with pedals you might not need the gain demanded by passive pickups.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby adamajah » Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 pm

The best pedal platform amps reach the very edge of breakup at whatever volume you're playing at IMO. So, you'd want either a low wattage amp that you can crank a little, or a higher wattage amp with a good master volume or attenuator built in.

Sparkly clean amps sound like shite :animal:
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear