Way huge swollen pickle

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Way huge swollen pickle

Postby larssonn » Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 am

Thoughts about this pedal?
Im tuning all the way down to F and Im looking for a distortion/fuzz that kinda gets that low end and delivers that unpredictable fuzz rather than perfectly symetric radiator/fridge kind of sound.
The swollen pickle seems to have aaaalot of range and versatility, so much that you could get lost.

What do you guys think?
larssonn

interested
interested

Re: Way huge swollen pickle

Postby Jwar » Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 am

I absolutely love it! I used to have one and Trent Reznor had one, so my boner! :)

As far as fuzzes go, it's pretty easy to use and straight forward. I'd recommend looking into the newest version as they moved the trimmer to the outside of the box. Those are key to the pedal sounding good with your instrument. Otherwise, you can buy a cheaper v2 (the v1's go for stupid prices still) and open it up and tweak. It's not a big deal, just a little annoying. Once you find your settings, close it up and forget it. That's what I did. It was simple. Way Huge boxes come apart by just hand turning the feet, so it's quick and painless.

Great pedal though! I don't think you can go wrong with it!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby duffmcshark » Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm

I wish that the trim pots on the inside were external controls. I find myself fiddling with them a lot.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Postby frigid midget » Mon May 14, 2018 3:41 pm

It's a decent muff variant, but not much more than that impo. Plenty of controls, but it's not that insanely versatile...A well tuned muff type fuzz doesn't need any silly 'scoop' or 'crunch' controls imo, they're useless when you go too far from the center position, and only need minor tweaking if you switch amps/gtrs. Still just one or two sweet spots imo, the tone shaping options easily make things either too dark/muddy, or too harsh/brite, with limited useful range.

Don't pay too much attention to my opinion thoug, I have a horrible love/hate thing going with muffs, they're just not for me I guess...:idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby larssonn » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 am

It is the MKii Ive got dibs on.
larssonn

interested
interested

Postby fcknoise » Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am

I had it for a while and I think it's a good muff. Always like a muff with some type of mids control
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 am

frigid midget wrote:It's a decent muff variant, but not much more than that impo. Plenty of controls, but it's not that insanely versatile...A well tuned muff type fuzz doesn't need any silly 'scoop' or 'crunch' controls imo, they're useless when you go too far from the center position, and only need minor tweaking if you switch amps/gtrs. Still just one or two sweet spots imo, the tone shaping options easily make things either too dark/muddy, or too harsh/brite, with limited useful range.

Don't pay too much attention to my opinion thoug, I have a horrible love/hate thing going with muffs, they're just not for me I guess...:idk:

I'm going to agree 100% :hello:

though I like muffs...thundercloud and plus ultra that I use are very diff, but also seem different from other muffs too...maybe I like a certain type and don't realize which it is :lol:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Jero wrote:
frigid midget wrote:It's a decent muff variant, but not much more than that impo. Plenty of controls, but it's not that insanely versatile...A well tuned muff type fuzz doesn't need any silly 'scoop' or 'crunch' controls imo, they're useless when you go too far from the center position, and only need minor tweaking if you switch amps/gtrs. Still just one or two sweet spots imo, the tone shaping options easily make things either too dark/muddy, or too harsh/brite, with limited useful range.

I'm going to agree 100% :hello:

though I like muffs...thundercloud and plus ultra that I use are very diff, but also seem different from other muffs too...maybe I like a certain type and don't realize which it is :lol:

Yeah I actually think that's what it comes down to for me as well...Muffs seem to be picky with amps, guitars, volume, other pedals, my mood,...

The closest I came to keeping a muff: Musket (another case of too many annoying useless controls, a pet peeve of mine I guess). And than there was also this old Maxon D&S, from the '70s. Looked old and secksy, and sounded rad too. But I was too lazy to mod it for true bypass, a DC, and a led, plus I sorta missed the extra gain that the Musket had.

So yeah, Larssonn dude...I'd vote for the Musket. More 'useful' low end, more gain/bite,...Smaller footprint than the SP too, if that's at all a concern. Like I said though, don't ask me why it has two seperate controls for the gain, and the 'focus' control is rrrrreally subtle, if even that.

Still, way more versatile than the SP impo, really useable across the whole gain range, and the eq sorta gives you different muff versions/era's impo.

If it's an "unpredictable fuzz" you're after though...A muff would probably be my last choice :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue May 15, 2018 3:18 pm

I tune my 8 string down to E, and there's quite a few fuzzes I feel handle that range well. The shoe pixel is one of my personal favorites as it can deliver a smooth fuzz that rips, or be dialed to super zippery gated type sounds, and with the low pass filtering it plays well with just about any amp and guitar that I've tried it with.

I also find the Mastotron to be pretty capable of ERG tunings, and with the bottom cap toggle you can get some serious beef.

Just some ideas :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Tue May 15, 2018 3:40 pm

I came here for dick jokes and was disappointed.

Pedal is cool btw.
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 am

i find it it to be pretty eh, ive had one for a long time and i find the low end to be obnoxiously muddy and loud rather than huge; there are better muff variants. I would go for a fuzz with tighter bottom if I tuned that low
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am

I actually disagree with this a lot but you said don't pay too much attention! :)

The crunch and scoop for an active bass were crucial to dialing the pedal in. Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen (who recommended it to me as well as the Depth Charge). He'd use it live with NIN and a Stingray but those controls could not be at noon unless your want your low end decimated.

I love well made muffs. I think they are the perfect fuzz variation (even though they are technically distortions).

Do I love that their are a million of them? No, but you can't beat that sound if that's what you're looking for. Nothing is quite the same.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Return to General Gear