Tensor vs Grazer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tensor vs Grazer

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun May 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a glitchy/stuttery box of goodness. I've read and really appreciated the Glitchopedia post. Out of 15-ish pedals I've looked into I think I've narrowed it down to either the Red Panda Tensor or Dwarfcraft Grazer (Ct5 might still be in the running). Does anyone have experience with both pedals and could offer some compare and contrast? I'm currently not performing live often, but have plans to in the future. Currently it's mostly experimenting, songwriting, a little recording, etc.

My list included, MASF Possessed, Raptio, Co-Pilot Simulcast, Malekko Charlie Foxtrot, Montreal Assembly CT5, MWFX Judder, Drolo Stammen, Hexe Revolver, Red Panda Particle, Bananana Mandala, Meris Ottobit Jr., Cooper FX Outward.

Any others I should seriously consider? General feedback?

Thanks!!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Tensor vs Grazer

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 pm

I've tried both and the sound of the Tensor was a big letdown for me. It's suffering a bit from weird filtering (to my ears). The functionality and extra memory buffer is a big plus, but I honestly didn't like the sound of it, which I realize is subjective. The Grazer on the other hand has no filtering and is way more crispy, which I like. It's not trying to hide what it is, if that makes sense. It's like the Tensor is a CT5 and the Grazer is the GB24, in terms of sound quality and feel.

Tldr; they sound very, very different. Pick the one you like the sound of the most. If you need a long memory buffer/want sound on sound or a short looper, you'll have to go Tensor. If you want crazy and unapologetic, go Grazer.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun May 13, 2018 6:05 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I've tried both and the sound of the Tensor was a big letdown for me. It's suffering a bit from weird filtering (to my ears). The functionality and extra memory buffer is a big plus, but I honestly didn't like the sound of it, which I realize is subjective. The Grazer on the other hand has no filtering and is way more crispy, which I like. It's not trying to hide what it is, if that makes sense. It's like the Tensor is a CT5 and the Grazer is the GB24, in terms of sound quality and feel.

Tldr; they sound very, very different. Pick the one you like the sound of the most. If you need a long memory buffer/want sound on sound or a short looper, you'll have to go Tensor. If you want crazy and unapologetic, go Grazer.

Thanks for the feedback! I was initially leaning towards the Tensor, but I don’t know now. I’m suffering from having listened to too many demos! I wish there was a shop where I lived that carried them so I could play around with the IRL.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sun May 13, 2018 9:54 pm

I had the Grazer and I just got a Tensor. I agree that they both sound very different. I wasn't really into the crispiness of the Grazer and didn't like how noisy it is. Also, the grains are super short and rapid fire. Tensor is, on first reflection, calmer.
I had Charlie Foxtrot and a Particle and I have an Outward and a Count to Five. Grazer is probably most similar to Particle. For my use, Tensor has more overlap with Outward and I prefer the Tensor. Charlie Foxtrot has its own thing going on.
Not on your list but I've also got the Alexander Syntax Error and Drolo Molecular Disruptor. Syntax Error has a similar lack of filtering to the Grazer so it gets pretty clicky and noisy but I think it's more fun. Molecular Disruptor has some patches that are in the neighborhood of Grazer but it can do so much more.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun May 13, 2018 10:45 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:I had the Grazer and I just got a Tensor. I agree that they both sound very different. I wasn't really into the crispiness of the Grazer and didn't like how noisy it is. Also, the grains are super short and rapid fire. Tensor is, on first reflection, calmer.
I had Charlie Foxtrot and a Particle and I have an Outward and a Count to Five. Grazer is probably most similar to Particle. For my use, Tensor has more overlap with Outward and I prefer the Tensor. Charlie Foxtrot has its own thing going on.
Not on your list but I've also got the Alexander Syntax Error and Drolo Molecular Disruptor. Syntax Error has a similar lack of filtering to the Grazer so it gets pretty clicky and noisy but I think it's more fun. Molecular Disruptor has some patches that are in the neighborhood of Grazer but it can do so much more.

Thanks for the suggestions! I am familiar with those pedals, but I don't think they're quite what I'm looking for (maybe the Molecular disruptor). I've gone back through demos of a bunch of these pedals and there are so many awesome options, it makes it hard to choose just one (and my budget is barely there for even that!!).
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm

I actually think I'm leaning more toward the Cooper FX Outward now.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon May 14, 2018 12:10 am

Then I'd wait for the Pladask Fabrikat, which is an Outwards on steroids in the same size enclosure. :p
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon May 14, 2018 12:48 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Then I'd wait for the Pladask Fabrikat, which is an Outwards on steroids in the same size enclosure. :p

I'm really looking forward to hearing a full demo of the Fabrikat!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Then I'd wait for the Pladask Fabrikat, which is an Outwards on steroids in the same size enclosure. :p

+1
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:17 pm

thx guyz

its true though, im gonna have to soup up the outward I suppose.
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 pm

i thought less was more tho no?
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon May 14, 2018 11:37 pm

Teej212 wrote:thx guyz

its true though, im gonna have to soup up the outward I suppose.

I haven’t heard a full demo of the Fabrikat, but I think the Outward is super rad the way it is!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 am

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:i thought less was more tho no?

OP doesn't seem to quite know what he/she wants, so I figured a pedal with lots of options might be good. Otherwise, I don't necessarily disagree with you. Outward is a nice pedal, for sure. :)*
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 am

UglyCasanova wrote:
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:i thought less was more tho no?

OP doesn't seem to quite know what he/she wants, so I figured a pedal with lots of options might be good. Otherwise, I don't necessarily disagree with you. Outward is a nice pedal, for sure. :)*

no worries man, was just trying to have a lil fun. :)
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm

I wouldn't put the Outward in the same discussion with a Tensor and Grazer because to me its a very mellow and slow burn kind of effect where the others can get a lot of fast stuff going on. I do prefer the outward to the Tensor for actual time stretch aside from the tape stop stuff the Tensor does.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear