Should I Flip All my Synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Should I Flip All my Synths?

Postby D Rock » Tue May 15, 2018 3:34 am

01010111 wrote:
D Rock wrote:I think it's all about finding sounds you like. I've found I love my minilogue for pads, behringer model D for bass duties, and a Bass Station 2 for melodies and arp. Running all of that into a mixer with a digitakt for drums is incredible. Super quick and easy to jam around on and I find myself sketching out new ideas effortlessly. That is my core and I switch out a volca fm, volca bass, and Ipad as needed. I'm sure I'll move some stuff around eventually but it is nice to find where each synth excells and then use the strong points to your advantage.

This sort of thinking is what led me to my current setup, though. I bought a bunch of tools for essentially one-purpose each. While this gives me a TON of flexibility in terms of sound, it comes at the cost of portability and productivity.

So, I need to rethink my setup to tailor it for what I need to be productive. In doing that, it *should* simplify my setup and make it more portable.

I can understand that. I tend to look at my electronic setup like a live band. I like to have one instrument for each member I would have in a band. My setup does take up one 60 inch desk but I'm not sure I could go any smaller and achieve the sounds I want. I had intended to keep mine portable and still is possible but it would be a little on the harder side to move around.
D Rock

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 am

PeteeBee wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:
PeteeBee wrote:So UC, can you explain how your setup actually works? I'm really dense regarding synths and am really trying to get past going simply by what looks coolest. How do the op1 and the ipad work together?

Sure thang! It goes>

OP-1 > Tåken > Mixer > Mercury7
iPad > Mixer > Mercury7

And you're right. The OP-1 is connected to the iPad as a controller. I only use the connection to play the synth apps on the iPad because playing keys on a screen is pretty terrible. :lol:

It's also pretty fun to use the OP-1 as a normal synth + a controller for the iPad. That way I can play something like an FM synthesis from the OP-1 with something like the iMS-20 app with the same keys. :joy:

Thanks! Is the op1 actually easy to play as a keyboard? I worry that it’ll be a little wonky, like how the pocket piano keyboard seemed a little tough for me as far as really playing on it? I really think I need to jump in and buy one. It’s just a big jump.

I've had a pocket piano and didn't like playing it. OP-1 is more like playing on a mechanical keyboard, which is much easier and more fun (for me)
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am

I also preferred playing the op1 to the pp quite a lot when I tried them. Still prefer even mini keys to either though!
Good deals with: AngryGoldfish, Officer Bukowski, casterbro, amnesiac305, Achtane, Snufkino, Tom Dalton, DarkAxel, JamesSGBrown, casperh7, Tristan, intothegroove, Gigahearts_FX, alalalkasar, nightterrors, Schlatte, Dandolin, jskadiang, laekna, biftaclyro, maortojn, oscillateur

some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck

I make music sometimes:

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/releases
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 am

i think flipping stuff for a digitakt, and then using the roland boutique thingies sounds like a very good idea.
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

DRodriguez wrote:All pedalboards are beer themed if you gig enough.

Drones/noises: http://www.soundcloud.com/fcknoise
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fcknoise/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp8cSA ... BCtQ8M56hg

fuck pink floyd anyway

Also, you may still call me Brands
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Tue May 15, 2018 11:06 am

fcknoise wrote:i think flipping stuff for a digitakt, and then using the roland boutique thingies sounds like a very good idea.

Completely agree, although the digitakt hasn't gotten past the honeymoon phase for a number of ILF'ers now.

I'm certainly a more is more type of guy, but only if it's all being used. If something is going unused....it's got to go
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JTurbide » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

That jazzmaster looks badass :drool:

I would also flip what you don't use much, what doesn't inspire you at all or if you have something that does mostly the same thing as another piece of your gear. It really depends on how you use your setup but I'd say drums + a poly synth + a mono synth + fx + some kind of looper/sequencer/mixer or whatever that brings them all together should get you a long way
JTurbide

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 pm

+1 on the sampler tip.

samplers can go a long way to replace many pieces.
of course you need to load it up w/ sounds somehow.

when i play live i just bring my sampler, so i don't have to bring anything else.
got all my sounds i need on there, ready to go.

i also think that samplers can take a bit longer to really get into.
it has no sounds, so its all about the sounds u put in. which can be good and bad.
also u could take like one sound and make like a thousand sounds out of it.

i love samplers w/ all my heart.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 pm

fcknoise wrote:i think flipping stuff for a digitakt, and then using the roland boutique thingies sounds like a very good idea.

This is what I’m leaning towards currently, but I need to take it slow and see how much mileage I get out of my current synths.

My initial impression on the Rolands is the internal sequencers are garbage and make song-writing incredibly difficult, the SE02 less so. They’re both really intuitive and fun to use for sound-sculpting, though making adjustments live is a little tricky for both of them. Playing the keys on them is a ton of fun.

The Volca Sample could very easily be replaced by the Digitakt, but I need to play with one for a minute so I can see if I like the workflow. If the Digitakt makes its way into my setup, I won’t have any reason to keep either of the volcas (the FM is just there to give me whatever filler synth sounds I need).

The SV-1 might stick around because it’s an extremely handy noisemaker (and if I get the digitakt, it’ll be an excellent sample source). If it works well with the vidiot and assuming I like video synthesis, then I don’t know if I’ll ever get rid of it.

The digitakt could be the answer I’m looking for, but I really like turning knobs and whatnot to change the feel of a song. Though, the digitakt offers a lot of flexibility there as well

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:11 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:OP-1 is more like playing on a mechanical keyboard, which is much easier and more fun (for me)

I've been avoiding the OP-1 because of a lot of reasons, one of them, the keys.

Are those clicky switches? I'm familiar with most cherry MXs, alps, buckling spring and some other shitty ones... so feel free to elaborate.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue May 15, 2018 2:15 pm

theres an keyboard replacement guide on ifixit

they are like rubber membrane type keys.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

oh
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 pm

I just played with a digitakt for like 20 minutes. It’s lit. It could easily replace the BSP and volca sample. That might be my answer:

Flip the bsp, sample, and fm
Use the money to get the digitakt

I’ll think I’ll play with just the JP08, SE02, BSP, and volca sample for a while. Because that’d be essentially be quivalent to the digitakt rig functionally, but in a larger package. If I dig that setup, then I’ll roll with just the digitakt/JP08/SE02

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby vidret » Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 pm

tremolo3 wrote:oh

vidret

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Digitakt’s out. Found out you can’t transpose sequences.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Thu May 17, 2018 6:58 am

01010111 wrote:Digitakt’s out. Found out you can’t transpose sequences.

Octatrack :)
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

DRodriguez wrote:All pedalboards are beer themed if you gig enough.

Drones/noises: http://www.soundcloud.com/fcknoise
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fcknoise/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp8cSA ... BCtQ8M56hg

fuck pink floyd anyway

Also, you may still call me Brands
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear