· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Drone Thing w/Magpie mod.

Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Hot weather in the UK, but I'm not a fan, so I spent a couple of hours modding my Drone Thing, using the image on Simon The Magpie's site.

I've emailed him with my thanks, and an offer to pay something if possible because I'm so pleased with the result.

I braved the heat to buy five switches and with a little drilling and a small amount of solder, it now has way more it can do :)

I also took the opportunity to swap some knobs over, probably not to everyone's taste but I like them :)

Re: Drone Thing w/Magpie mod.

Mon May 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Pink is always dope man! :joy:

What do the added switches accomplish? Are they on/off toggles or is there some more complex bits happening?

Mon May 07, 2018 12:28 pm

They connect the LFO (first pink knob on the left) to the other oscillators (the other five pink knobs) and it brings in extra throbs and warbles depending on where the LFO knob is positioned, which makes it all a lot more fun :)

Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 pm

so just how hot is it where you are?
gonna be 120 in Tejas soon...very soon
NSFW: show

Mon May 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Texas heat beats UK heat any day. :lol:

UK knob game is mighty though. :thumb:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 am

Paul_C wrote:Hot weather in the UK, but I'm not a fan, so I spent a couple of hours modding my Drone Thing, using the image on Simon The Magpie's site.

I've emailed him with my thanks, and an offer to pay something if possible because I'm so pleased with the result.

I braved the heat to buy five switches and with a little drilling and a small amount of solder, it now has way more it can do :)

I also took the opportunity to swap some knobs over, probably not to everyone's taste but I like them :)

THATS AWESOME! Ive missed email. Do you have instagram or anything? Would love for you to make a video to put on the magpie pirates youtube with it ? :!!!:
Write me another email on website or submit it on the magpie inspired page if you want to. http://www.simonthemagpie.com/interact/ ... d-39892748

But would love to see you make a video with it

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 am

I always liked the Drone Thing but thought it was limited. Smart.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 pm

I don't do videos with moving pictures, so I'm not sure what that makes them ;)

However, this is the latest recording, with everything apart from the drum track starting with the Drone Thing, plus a few other pedals to make things interesting.

Post a reply