anyone know wut happened with catalinbread?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: anyone know wut happened with catalinbread?

Postby Jwar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am

If anything happens, I could see someone like Cuzack buying them.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby calfzilla » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 am

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:If anything happens, I could see someone like Cuzack buying them.

Yeah, I was just about to say if anyone bought them, they would be assimilated into the CuScrotum.
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby harpies » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:50 am

Rumor is also that they’ve hired outside help from mr black to finish stuff, but he denies it, probably not wanting to look like a scab given what happened to the regular catalinbread crew and that I think me black and catalinbread had a falling out years back anyway, so it seems opportunistic. Notwithstanding his involvement or lack thereof, catalinbread went to shit really quick and is stealing the credit of designers and support staff booted from the company.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm

From what I've read, the mom & sister (neither live locally) hired someone outside the company to oversee the office. The speculation from there goes that this individual butted heads with the pre-existing staffers. (Howard, Erskin, Castillo all leaving afterward)

It seems like at some point one or two people briefly returned in an effort to right the ship. Based on their new policies and the scrubbing of the site, it strongly appears that any attempt to reconcile differences failed. There are several other active builders in the Portland area, so I could see a merger or a buyout at some point, but it's anyone's guess as to what will happen (buyout, closure).

I have noticed that the ETAs on products seems to linger for weeks, so production has certainly slowed down. If you look at pre-order info on sites like Musician's Friend or Sweetwater, several products are rarely stocked. With Nicholas at the helm, nothing seemed to be out of stock for more than a few days. I saw an ad years ago for a line worker, and they needed people who could work 10-12 hour days if necessary. Things were definitely steady and fast-paced.

I'm always skeptical of Web criticism, because it seems anonymous people will attack even the most-respected builders, but nothing I've seen since Nicholas' passing has been good.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:48 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:
jrfox92 wrote:What calf said.

It's sad, Howard's gone (who was basically #2 at the company, from what I've gathered) and quality/ingenuity is supposedly taking a nosedive.
I half expect to see the company either get sold or just fold in the next few years.

Unless they weren't making much money before things got disrupted, there's no reason they should start cheaping out on the build quality. I also don't see why they couldn't carry on making the same old designs for the foreseeable future since they're really popular. Everyone's nuts for the Belle Epoch and the DX versions, I think they could ride the wave of that innovation for a while. I mean, when was the last time fulltone or zvex brought out a new design?

The main issue is there is no one left at CBread who is able to take a pedal through the full build and QC process. So "just making the old designs" is way more tricky than you might initially think.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby calfzilla » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:26 pm

echorec wrote:From what I've read, the mom & sister (neither live locally) hired someone outside the company to oversee the office. The speculation from there goes that this individual butted heads with the pre-existing staffers. (Howard, Erskin, Castillo all leaving afterward

I thought Castillo left in 2012 and then came back after Nic was gone. I think she's still there; her Facebook still has an email address for her at Catalinbread. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Howard and Erksin got upset that someone who had been gone for 5 years was hired to run the company over them.

And I highly doubt Jack Deville is doing anything for Catalinbread. Although who knows, if we start to see shimmer in the C-bread library, all bets are off.
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 pm

This's turning out like that horrible TGP thread, barring any actual facts emerging, people're still speculatin'. :cry:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:47 pm

calfzilla wrote:
echorec wrote:From what I've read, the mom & sister (neither live locally) hired someone outside the company to oversee the office. The speculation from there goes that this individual butted heads with the pre-existing staffers. (Howard, Erskin, Castillo all leaving afterward

I thought Castillo left in 2012 and then came back after Nic was gone. I think she's still there; her Facebook still has an email address for her at Catalinbread. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Howard and Erksin got upset that someone who had been gone for 5 years was hired to run the company over them.

She was certainly involved with the company in 2014 through NAMM 2016 prior to Nicholas' death. https://twitter.com/suebside?lang=en

Maybe she briefly left for personal/family commitments in 2012 (and again in 2017?), but I've seen her tied to a lot of artist relation/marketing stuff until fairly recently. I'm not sure if she's currently there or not, but I haven't seen anything attributed it to her in the last couple of months, and her Instagram feed hasn't recently mentioned anything CB-related.

---I'm not sure about any contracts or legal hurdles, regarding Howard/Erskin's silence. It may just be a matter of respect/professionalism. If your former company was in decline, would you want to trash the company you built with friends? Maybe they're still hoping to someday rejoin the fold under new direction.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby calfzilla » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Chankgeez wrote:This's turning out like that horrible TGP thread, barring any actual facts emerging, people're still speculatin'. :cry:

I think this is a lot better than the rabid fan fiction that turned up over there.
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Give it time. :snax:

That being said, ILF's generally not nearly as bad as TGP when it comes to stupidpostin'. :idk:

(Plus, people don't have as strong opinions of Catalinbread over here.)
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby repoman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:36 pm

:love: :drool: pedal fan fiction
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby calfzilla » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 pm

repoman wrote::love: :drool: pedal fan fiction

if only. it was tragic fan fiction. and steamy member hating member action.
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Give it time. :snax:

:joy: :thumb: :lol: :picard:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:45 pm

So....it's time to approach them with a buy out perhaps? Someone should do that. I can't obviously, but an established builder could.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm

:idk: Good luck with that. I'm sure at this point Nicholas's mom has an overvalued opinion of what the brand is worth. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear