Your 1st custom pedal?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Your 1st custom pedal?

Postby Bartimaeus » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm

My first and only custom/modified pedal is one of the original Bitquests, with the expression jack linked to Control 0 instead of Control 1. I like it that way to control the pitch shifter via expression. Everything else I use is either stock or DIY (I'm not sure if my ILFDD really counts as "stock", but it's not any different from the other ILFDD's).
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:12 pm

rustywire wrote:A 1-off 1776 echorec/space echo/echoplex built by LaoWiz: SPACEHEATER.
It was a personal unit built to his design and traded for by me :hobbes:

I have yet to fully design & commission a custom pedal from start to finish, but have come close on more than one occasion and surely will someday :snax:
also the HP, DMM, RRR & Resonator are the (only) 4 pedals I retain from the above photo :( :facepalm:

Woah, that's from way way back!
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ck3 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 am

A Harmony Central FX forumite named PB Wilson built me an Uglyface in an old volume pedal shell with a custom gold paintjob. I ended up (foolishly) trading or selling it after acquiring someone else's custom 4ms Uglyface with a photocell expression control, which seemed more practical than the volume treadle at the time.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:48 am

ck3 wrote:A Harmony Central FX forumite named PB Wilson built me an Uglyface in an old volume pedal shell with a custom gold paintjob. I ended up (foolishly) trading or selling it after acquiring someone else's custom 4ms Uglyface with a photocell expression control, which seemed more practical than the volume treadle at the time.

That sounds badass
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Still have it too~ :joy:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:08 am

I went big when I had my first custom built.

I'd just gotten out of the hospital and after six weeks of failing to die, I thought maybe a "what I really need" all in one was a good thing to consider. I still have it and it's still latched in on my ES-8 as needed (lives under the board on the floor where I can hit the momentary switch for the delay warp).

It's a combo octave fuzz that is set permanently on mean, the analog delay thing with warp (and adjustable ramp on the warp by switching resistors inside if I want), and a stutter trem with a lot of options and a rate LED. Order is switchable for the delay/fuzz placement so I can go fuzz post delay if I want.

I use it mostly for the trem and warp delay these days.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 pm

My first was this Dirge built and Danndubblewe etched Fantastic Mr. Fox Tone Machine with footswitchable octave.
I will never part with it, though it has been sorely neglected of late. Should get it on board again.
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 am

Around 2003 or so I got a custom Infinitephase built with the S&H mod. Other than that probably the Frequency Analyzer rehouse I had done by Beavis Audio.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:13 am

whoismarykelly wrote:Around 2003 or so I got a custom Infinitephase built with the S&H mod. Other than that probably the Frequency Analyzer rehouse I had done by Beavis Audio.

Beavis Audio was my entire gateway to the pedal community as a whole. I couldn't afford to buy anything so I thought I would go make me a fuzz. :lol:

I still want to try building, but now it's just a matter of not having the desk real estate. :facepalm:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 am

I got turned down by two builders for custom builds recently. :)

Does that count for something?

Seems like it's becoming a thing of the past. Lots of people don't want to do custom builds anymore if they can help it.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 am

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:I got turned down by two builders for custom builds recently. :)

Seems like it's becoming a thing of the past. Lots of people don't want to do custom builds anymore if they can help it.

What kind of pedal design(s)?
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:38 am

It happens.

My last custom build was cursed. It took three builders to do it.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:26 am

Corey Y wrote:
Jesus Was a Robot wrote:I got turned down by two builders for custom builds recently. :)

What kind of pedal design(s)?

Seriously, I'm curious what the heck they were :snax:

foomanfat wrote:Image
My first was this Dirge built and Danndubblewe etched Fantastic Mr. Fox Tone Machine with footswitchable octave.
I will never part with it, though it has been sorely neglected of late. Should get it on board again.

Totally remember this! :hobbes:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:47 am

Building truly custom pedals is an insane nightmare for a builder. Primarily because you can never ever make it worth your time. If its just two fuzzes in one box or something generic like that its one thing but when I was building I would get requests for stuff like a custom vocal processor on par with the $299 stuff from Digitech. The guy didn't understand why that was a $10,000+ project to build as a one-off.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 am

So, I should mention that I did expect to get turned down by both builders. LOL. However, that doesn't stop me from trying every once in awhile.

Once pedal would have been extremely custom and all analog and the other was a dual pedal but of something that is discontinued. So, yea. It was a long shot thing.

As far as digital goes, I have no disillusions about the costs of that stuff. I looked into it previously when I was trying to release a pedal and it can get ridiculously expensive. Shit, analog circuits can costs thousands with R&D and other factors. The digital thing scares me. haha
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear