Your 1st pedal?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Your 1st pedal?

Postby codetocontra » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:24 pm

What was your first pedal? When? Do you still have it? If so, do you still use it? If not, what replaced it? Wax your nostalgia.

I had two firsts, Boss DS-2 and FZ-2 (in 1994 I think). FZ-2 mode 2 was super gnarly and loved it. Hated the DS-2 because it did not give me the Nirvana sound I wanted at the time. Both are long gone now. Initially replaced by a green Russian Big Muff and a DS-1 but there was some overlap on ownership in that period that I can't remember exactly. Thought about repurchasing another FZ-2 at one point but mine is gone so it would just be a replica at that point and I feel no nostalgia for a replacement. Not having my first pedals probably explains why I can't feel an attachment towards any pedals, any other gear, or any other useless relics from my past.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Your 1st pedal?

Postby dubkitty » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:35 pm

MXR Distortion+, one of the 2d generation ones with the block logo and that weird grey foam insulation inside that deteriorated and crumbled. bought it in 1984 for i think $40. it was my only pedal for eons, and still lives on my board today. at the time it was the only fuzz/distortion i liked out of all the examples in the buy/sell in Santa Cruz where i bought it, back in the bad old days when everything sounded like a Tube Screamer.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby ck3 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

A Boss FZ-2 is an impressive starting point from the vantage point of today. My first rig incorporated an Ibanez CM5 Classic Metal Soundtank run into a Peavey Audition 20 combo that must have been from the late 70's or early 80's. Seriously grating \m/3t41 toanz for days, which were likely the result of listening to too much early 90's Pantera. It's long gone at this point and not missed. The overdrive channel of a Crate GX15R replaced it for a few years. I can relate to the idea of limited attachment to gear, though I seem to keep cycling back to Peavey amplification for some reason.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:49 pm

The first pedal I ever played was a DOD Grunge a band mate brought over in high school. Didn't get used :lol:

Either a Black Muff or Danelectro Tuna Melt were the first one I bought/owned. Can't remember which. Some time in 2006 (yea, I'm late to the party, but I hit that shit hard after that lol). I just realized my first amp was a Sunn. Too bad all of these things are long gone.

annnd the first delay I ever used was a DD-3. Which was acquired around the same time as the muff and trem, but by my then roommate, who got it from another friend of ours (same friend the Muff came from). He still has it to this day.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Boss MD-2 back in 2003...had it until about 4 years ago. Still don't think it's a bad pedal, but sold it back when I had about 8 or so dirt/fuzz/distortion. Elements was the nail in it's coffin for being able to tell it's shortcomings in the overall sound quality department.
Was always glad I had it back when all my peers had DS-1's or PODS though.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Davin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:35 pm

A friend who used to be in a band gave me his DOD Corrosion which he used to use on vocals if you can believe it. Still have it although I've only ever plugged it in at home. Around the same time I got an old long chip DD-3 which is still in use all the time.
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm

I bought two pedals the first time. BD-2 and DD-20. I got the BD-2 because I knew Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse had one. The DD-20 idea I got from some post rock/shoegaze band, but I don't recall who it was. I still love the sound of the BD-2 whenever I've had the chance to play one. The DD-20 was pretty nice from what I can remember, but I don't know if I'd pick it over the plethora of other multi-mode delays available. Probably not.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lurker13 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 pm

It was a Vox V830 Distortion Booster I bought in 2004. I thought it sounded like a bag full of marbles clanking together, so I gave it to a FB friend in South Africa.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 pm

I think it was 1985 or 86, a Boss Super Distortion + Feedbacker. A few months later, a Boss Octave. An Ibanez HD1500 sat on top of my Gibson G-105, and that was my original setup. That got me through the next two decades.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Also a FZ-2.. 93 or 94. Shortly thereafter I got a crybaby.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Crybaby for Christmas, '89 I think. Still have it, barely use it. Used to be good at the wah arts, but just moved on to different things.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aedes » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 pm

dubkitty wrote:MXR Distortion+, one of the 2d generation ones with the block logo and that weird grey foam insulation inside that deteriorated and crumbled. bought it in 1984 for i think $40. it was my only pedal for eons, and still lives on my board today. at the time it was the only fuzz/distortion i liked out of all the examples in the buy/sell in Santa Cruz where i bought it, back in the bad old days when everything sounded like a Tube Screamer.

Mine was the boss df-2, but I rarely played it and borrowed my friends distortion+ all the time. it's long gone. probably around the same time.
aedes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby emcee_m_prime » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Boss MT-2 in 9th grade because I didn't know shit. Wonder what happened to that thing...
emcee_m_prime

involved
involved

Postby Dark Barn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:53 pm

I bought in '94. I now keep it in a Rubbermaid box with some other memories. Also it's never been cleaned, there be some vintage dirt on this thing

I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 am

Bought a Big Muff after I bought my guitar, because Mudhoney. Got it in 2004, though the sticker inside suggests it was made in 2001.

Still have the spiffy wooden box it came with, too.

solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear