Console preamp style drive pedals that aren't the Colour Box

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Console preamp style drive pedals that aren't the Colour

Postby insubordination » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

I have not tried the Fredric Effects Accomplished Badger, which I believe might claim to achieve that sound (no transformer though):

http://www.fredric.co.uk/accomplished-badger

Good deals on ILF: too many to list, just ask!

http://difficult.band
http://missingskull.bandcamp.com
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby gnomethrone » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 pm

I mean if you really like the JHS just buy a used one and etch "HOMOSEXUAL WITCHCRAFT BOX" on it.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Sell everything and buy a console :idk: :idk: :idk:
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Kacey Y » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm

gnomethrone wrote:I mean if you really like the JHS just buy a used one and etch "HOMOSEXUAL WITCHCRAFT BOX" on it.

Can we make this a group buy?
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:08 pm

:group: :snax: :group:

This demo has more of the extreme settings FWIW

and now...........I want one? :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAY7vD0WnOU

Also,

:idk: ?????????????????? :poke:

:picard:
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 pm

The EQD Speaker Cranker that I had briefly could get some console-like tones. But you had to make sure that it was clipping itself, not pushing your amp into overdrive. Maybe pick up one of those, and if you like the sound then mod if for a master volume (really easy to do).

Corey Y wrote:
gnomethrone wrote:I mean if you really like the JHS just buy a used one and etch "HOMOSEXUAL WITCHCRAFT BOX" on it.

Awesome idea!
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 pm

popvulture wrote:Yep, as I mentioned in the post, I picked up a Broadcast in the hopes of covering this turf, but it’s different. It’s FANTASTIC, can’t really say that enough, but reminds me much more of a germ Fuzz Face, with some expanded tweakability outside of the typical Guitar vol knob dialing. Most certainly keeping the Broadcast, but still looking for that console sound.

I recorded some demo guitar t'other day - broadcast into tu2 which split the signal between a mic'd amp and the interface DI. Broadcast was in high gain mode so nice and fuzzy. Sounded verrryy cool
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:The EQD Speaker Cranker that I had briefly could get some console-like tones. But you had to make sure that it was clipping itself, not pushing your amp into overdrive. Maybe pick up one of those, and if you like the sound then mod if for a master volume (really easy to do).

Corey Y wrote:

Awesome idea!

Hmm I have one of those and like it quite a bit, but my one gripe about it was always that it needed a master... colour me intrigued.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Have to admit that the Colour Box is actually a pretty nice circuit, from what I've seen.
Dense PCB, big transformer in there (Lundahl LL1578, in case you ever try to build your own), etc.
Granted, I imagine someone like Keeley or Cusack designed it, but whatever.

A) That Terry Audio thing looks way too simple to get anywhere near Colour Box territory (also, that "holographic nuances" line made my eyes roll clear into the back of my head :whateva:).
B) I'm very hesitant to support the Demo Tape suggestion based on the fact that it's really just an op amp run into an active bax tone control.
C) The Jext Telez White mimics a Vox Conqueror rather than a console.

Honestly, I'd just get another Colour Box used and send it to a builder to trace it. :idk:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Ha, yeah... I indeed have half a mind to just pick one up used after realizing there's not really anything else like it out there, but at the same time, ew.

It's really kind of baffling that a company known almost exclusively for copying other people's shit has a seemingly singular pedal. :idk:
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 am

popvulture wrote:It's really kind of baffling that a company known almost exclusively for copying other people's shit has a seemingly singular pedal. :idk:

Like I've said before, their good pedals that they've been coming out with look like they're designed by someone else (granted, I've long had doubts that anything built on PCB was designed by Josh, as well). I'm pretty sure "new/well-designed" stuff pre-2017 was either designed by Keeley or Cusack, as mentioned, and I think Josh has hired a new engineer for his most recent line of peds.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am

Bogner made some gain pedals with transformers..Burnley I think

They ain't the coolest either (and I believe made dwarfcraft loose the Shiva name, which sucks).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:45 am

It's not really original, it's one of the few they are proud it's a copy. It's a Neve 1073 in a pedal. It's a pain in the ass to build it that small, so props to the designer. The 1073 circuit is easily findable, but good luck getting it in a similar package.

popvulture, deli had the api pedal at the stompbox show in NY, they might have it in Austin. It sounds great, could do excessive amounts of gain and volume, just a few questionable choices for me. And price. And size. But it roared, made DBA sound quiet.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 am

Get someone to stick one of these in a pedal for you? https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/c ... ole-colour

For less directly related stuff, the tube EHX Hot Tubes can definitely get into the territory of the CB's more blown out sounds, though not so good at the subtler ones, plus hard to find. I'd also bet a higher gain Colorsound Overdriver circuit with more extreme EQ could get close. The Throbak Overdrive Boost leans in that direction with everything cranked, but holds together a little too well and doesn't do the super brittle, peaky treble.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby calfzilla » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 am

jrfox92 wrote:
popvulture wrote:It's really kind of baffling that a company known almost exclusively for copying other people's shit has a seemingly singular pedal. :idk:

Like I've said before, their good pedals that they've been coming out with look like they're designed by someone else (granted, I've long had doubts that anything built on PCB was designed by Josh, as well). I'm pretty sure "new/well-designed" stuff pre-2017 was either designed by Keeley or Cusack, as mentioned, and I think Josh has hired a new engineer for his most recent line of peds.

My money is on Cusack. JHS PCBs are made by the same company that makes PCBs for Cusack, used to make for lovepedal (might still, lovepedal was using the shit out of Cusack for a hot minute)...
I, myself, am a shit post
calfzilla

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear