mac book pro repair?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

mac book pro repair?

Postby multi_s » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 am

not music gear per se, unless you record with it but i wondered if anyone ever attempted repair on a mac book pro? it was dropped and the screen is now a bit broken (although still a bit usable so i cna see the rest of the computer is fine). i believe its a 2012 15". looked a bit on line at sites like ifixit.com... just wondering if anyone on here has ever gone down a road like that or has any recommendations

thanks guys!
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: mac book pro repair?

Postby Addy Bart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am

Have you looked at Louis Rossman’s YouTube channel? He’s a good resource (I fixed a MBP following one of his videos).
Addy Bart

interested
interested

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 am

Best I can do is gaffer tape a $50 refurbished monitor to your macbook with a thunderbolt to DVI cable.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 am

DRodriguez wrote:Best I can do is gaffer tape a $50 refurbished monitor to your macbook with a thunderbolt to DVI cable.

Throw some gum wrappers in there MacGyver style and you've probably become a contender.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Addy Bart wrote:Have you looked at Louis Rossman’s YouTube channel? He’s a good resource (I fixed a MBP following one of his videos).

+1 (minus the personal repair anecdote)
The go-to reference for this sort of thing, forget about "Geniuses"
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:15 pm

UBreakiFix will take care of ya. My wife works for them and they repair those all the time.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:20 pm

multi_s wrote:not music gear per se, unless you record with it but i wondered if anyone ever attempted repair on a mac book pro? it was dropped and the screen is now a bit broken (although still a bit usable so i cna see the rest of the computer is fine). i believe its a 2012 15". looked a bit on line at sites like ifixit.com... just wondering if anyone on here has ever gone down a road like that or has any recommendations

thanks guys!

I have an early MBP that had a known issue with the solder of the graphics card to the motherboard and
the problem showed up when it was out of warranty and other than "baking it in an oven" and hoping for
the best, the only other solution would have been to buy a whole new motherboard or a whole new MBP.
Didn't have the money for that, and so I've had an expensive paperweight for several years now.

Good luck! Hopefully your issue is resolvable in an affordable fashion. I guess using an external monitor
cuts down on the laptop portability aspect, but maintains the computing usability aspect.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Addy Bart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Seance wrote:
multi_s wrote:not music gear per se, unless you record with it but i wondered if anyone ever attempted repair on a mac book pro? it was dropped and the screen is now a bit broken (although still a bit usable so i cna see the rest of the computer is fine). i believe its a 2012 15". looked a bit on line at sites like ifixit.com... just wondering if anyone on here has ever gone down a road like that or has any recommendations

thanks guys!

I have an early MBP that had a known issue with the solder of the graphics card to the motherboard and
the problem showed up when it was out of warranty and other than "baking it in an oven" and hoping for
the best, the only other solution would have been to buy a whole new motherboard or a whole new MBP.
Didn't have the money for that, and so I've had an expensive paperweight for several years now.

Good luck! Hopefully your issue is resolvable in an affordable fashion. I guess using an external monitor
cuts down on the laptop portability aspect, but maintains the computing usability aspect.

If yours is a relevant model, you can disable the problematic graphics card and just use the integrated one by editing the Linux code. Fixed my gf’s 2011 laptop a few months back and we haven’t had any kernel panics since. Don’t bother reballing the gpu, it’ll only die on you again.
Walkthrough here:
https://youtu.be/nFFPk3SeQbQ
Addy Bart

interested
interested

Postby baremountain » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

I have a mid-2010 15" MBP that keeps resetting when it switches graphics cards from discrete to internal. Looking at these Louis Rossman videos though, I discovered a SMD cap replacement that should fix my problem!? Ordered the cap, and I'm taking it to a friend who does SMD based repairs this weekend :!!!: Hopefully my days of my computer maliciously restarting are numbered :)* Thank y'all for sharing that channel!

I hope you can get your screen fixed, Scott!
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Seance » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Addy Bart wrote:
Seance wrote:

thanks guys!

If yours is a relevant model, you can disable the problematic graphics card and just use the integrated one by editing the Linux code. Fixed my gf’s 2011 laptop a few months back and we haven’t had any kernel panics since. Don’t bother reballing the gpu, it’ll only die on you again.
Walkthrough here:
https://youtu.be/nFFPk3SeQbQ

The title lists that as being for later MBP than mine.
Mine was relatively early in the run and had the graphics card right on the motherboard. No other options.
So it's just fucked basically. And has been for years now. It's just sitting in a bag.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Seance wrote:The title lists that as being for later MBP than mine.
Mine was relatively early in the run and had the graphics card right on the motherboard. No other options.
So it's just fucked basically. And has been for years now. It's just sitting in a bag.

well i think charles said it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwMFas9XnY&t=357s

"short for prolapse"
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Faldoe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 pm

thanks guys!

I mean you're Montreal Assembly. If you can do what you do with making gear I think you can repair the MBP.

Check out "Ifixit," they have Apple product tear down guides/repair guides. I've taken my 2011 MBP apart a few times for various repairs - last big one was replacing blow speakers.

You could buy a replacement screen and swap it....
Faldoe

Postby multi_s » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 pm

ya i have been looking at that. they dont actually have the parts i need in stock i think but definitely lots of good info there.

also thanks for the other suggestions people.

hopefully take care of it in the next week. its actually my friends but i used to do laptop repair briefly for a living (15 years ago) so maybe i can help.

multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Addy Bart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 pm

baremountain wrote:I have a mid-2010 15" MBP that keeps resetting when it switches graphics cards from discrete to internal. Looking at these Louis Rossman videos though, I discovered a SMD cap replacement that should fix my problem!? Ordered the cap, and I'm taking it to a friend who does SMD based repairs this weekend :!!!: Hopefully my days of my computer maliciously restarting are numbered :)* Thank y'all for sharing that channel!

I hope you can get your screen fixed, Scott!

I helped a friend fix his laptop that had that problem. You need to disconnect the logic board from everything else to get to the cap as it's located on the back of the board. But it's an easy fix once you take it all apart.
Addy Bart

interested
interested

Postby odontophobia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 am

Pretty easy repair if you’re replacing the whole display and it’s housing. Just the LCD is more complex but less costly.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Return to General Gear