I made a gear trading site

Moderator: Ghost Hip

I made a gear trading site

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:46 pm

Hey everyone, I've been working on a gear trading site and just launched it a few weeks ago. More of a lurker than a poster around here, but I think this is a great community and hopefully some of you find a site like this useful!

It's finally up in beta and you can check it out at soundlot.com or App Store Link. We still have a lot of features we want to add, like matching people by haves and wants and adding an integrated offer and reputation system, but I think we have a pretty good start so far. You can also read a bit more on our FAQ page which should answer a lot of common questions people have had so far.

Anyway, I would love some feedback and ideas on the direction you'd like to see the site heading. And if anyone wants to upload anything or make some offers, that would be awesome too! Thanks so much for the support!

TL;DR: I made a site for trading gear. Check it out. What do you think?

App Link iTunes Store Link
Web Link: soundlot.com
Last edited by gkuesmtpo on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Re: I made a gear trading site

Postby Jwar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Love it! Can you offer for sale as well or just trades?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 pm

:wha?: I don't understand. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Love it! Can you offer for sale as well or just trades?

Yeah, people have been offering for sale stuff too. I'm pretty open to whatever the community wants and it seems like some people want to have the option to trade or sell to the best offer, which I think is fine. I was mostly focused on trading since there wasn't really a central site for anything like that yet. If someone lists something for sale though, I think that should just be willing to entertain trade offers too.
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby Ugly Nora » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Chankgeez wrote::wha?: I don't understand. :idk:

He made a site for trading gear. Check it out. What do you think?
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:04 pm

I did check it out. I still don't understand.

(I've invented a pill that gives worms to ex-girlfriends.)
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I did check it out. I still don't understand.

You can upload any of the gear you want to trade and you can also list the gear that you're looking for. Then people can make offers and you can trade with one another. It's just a hub for trading gear with other people who want to trade gear!
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:26 pm

I've got lots of questions:

• If you don't take a cut, what's your angle?
  • Aside from a larger possible pool of trade partners, why would I choose that website over say B/S/T here?
  • While I understand why it's nice to respond to all offers, what if I don't want to?
  • Why does one trade qualify someone as a "Trusted Trader"?
  • What are some of the benefits of trading this way?

Probably lots more questions. :idk: That's just a start.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:31 pm

What Chank said.

I tend to trust ILF B/S/T over everything because when shit goes down, it blows up here.
Not to mention that I trust referrals here from longtime members over what any site might say. :idk:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I've got lots of questions:

• If you don't take a cut, what's your angle?
  • Aside from a larger possible pool of trade partners, why would I choose that website over say B/S/T here?
  • While I understand why it's nice to respond to all offers, what if I don't want to?
  • Why does one trade qualify someone as a "Trusted Trader"?
  • What are some of the benefits of trading this way?

Probably lots more questions. :idk: That's just a start.

Cool. Happy to answer these. All good questions!

• Honestly, I'm not sure what we will do in the future, but I would really want any revenue stream to be in line with what's good for the community. In any case though, the site isn't costing much to run at the moment, so I'm not too concerned. I have some ideas that I think would be cool, but that only really matters in the best case scenario that the site takes off. Just trying to get more people interested at the moment is my main concern. The site only works if people use it!
  • Well a larger possible pool of trading is actually really valuable. It actually increases the possibility of trade exponentially which I think has the potential to be really cool and really powerful! Also, since the site is built specifically for trading (rather than adapting forum software to that need), I think we can build out a lot of features that are specific to trading that will be really useful. Some things in the works are, being able to filter by location, if you'd rather do a local trade. Also being able to match people up based on what they have and what they want. So you could just get an email when you match with someone, even if you posted your item a month ago. This also means you don't have to list and relist your items all the time and your list of wants stays with you from post to post, so you don't need to rewrite it out every time you want to trade. There's a lot of other cool thing we want to do too and I think there's a lot of potential. I also don't think it has to be a replacement for B/S/T.
    I like the smaller community trading too and it's nice to get to know everyone and build connections. I hope we can bring some of that vibe over to our site too.
  • You don't have to. It's suggested etiquette. I always try to, and I think it's nice when other people do too. We will also be building an offer system that times out after a day or something like that, so responding won't always be necessary. I still think its cool to do so though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • This is just an interim solution. There will be a feedback system, that uses stars or something like that. This is launched in beta, so the Trusted Trader badge is what we're using for now.
  • I think this was answered in the other questions. I think it definitely adds value to the trading space and we're also open to feedback and other ideas on how to make this better for everyone. Just let us know!
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:03 pm

jrfox92 wrote:What Chank said.

I tend to trust ILF B/S/T over everything because when shit goes down, it blows up here.
Not to mention that I trust referrals here from longtime members over what any site might say. :idk:

Yeah, I feel that. We certainly don't have the long time standing and trust that people have built over here. But ya gotta start somewhere, right? Hopefully a more full fledged feedback system will help, as well as people getting to know each other over on our site too.
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Those responses are fair enough. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Those responses are fair enough. :snax:

Haha, cool. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer. Also, if you have any ideas to make the site better, let me know!
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby weebles » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Marble countertop, sideways photo guy has made the trek over from Reverb, I see.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 pm

weebles wrote:Marble countertop, sideways photo guy has made the trek over from Reverb, I see.

Haha, yeah there's actually more than one marble countertop guy! But I assume you mean the guy with the bulk of them haha. Seems to be the way it goes — Reverb usually gets anything that doesn't get traded off.
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Next

Return to General Gear