I made a gear trading site

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: I made a gear trading site

Postby gkuesmtpo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Hey, just wanted to update anyone in this thread here that might be interested – we finally released an iPhone app (Link Here), which also includes a search which seemed to be what everyone really was asking for. The site has grown a lot, so theres a lot more gear and trading going on now too. We still have a lot more stuff we want to implement, but if you guys have any feedback thus far, let me know. I'll also update when there's an Android version, which should be really soon. Thanks again! Really appreciate the support around here!

Edit: Also, forgot to mention that we're giving away a smallsound Mini this week to help promote the app. So if you sign in through the app, you'll automatically be entered. Thats it. Thanks!

iTunes Store Link
soundlot.com
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Is there a way to enter the drawing for those of us without iPhones? I have an iPad, but it didn't look like the app was available that way.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby gkuesmtpo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Benn Roe wrote:Is there a way to enter the drawing for those of us without iPhones? I have an iPad, but it didn't look like the app was available that way.

I believe you should be able to download it as an iPhone app on an iPad, but I haven't tested that. If not, I can enter you as long as ya promise to download the android app when it's out. Hopefully soon!
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby Benn Roe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 am

Yeah, I was able to download it by setting the Apple Store to "iPhone only", but it's funny because the layout doesn't scale for the larger screen, so it shows me two columns of humongous pictures, and when it pulls up a keyboard it's absolutely gigantic. It's totally functional, and will see use from me for sure, but you may want to look into adapting the app for iPad use. I can't imagine it would be too hard to do, probably just some relatively straightforward scaling formula, but it would be great to be able to see more than four listings at a time on screens that can support it. Thanks!
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby gkuesmtpo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Benn Roe wrote:Yeah, I was able to download it by setting the Apple Store to "iPhone only", but it's funny because the layout doesn't scale for the larger screen, so it shows me two columns of humongous pictures, and when it pulls up a keyboard it's absolutely gigantic. It's totally functional, and will see use from me for sure, but you may want to look into adapting the app for iPad use. I can't imagine it would be too hard to do, probably just some relatively straightforward scaling formula, but it would be great to be able to see more than four listings at a time on screens that can support it. Thanks!

Yeah, if the site continues to grow, an iPad app is certainly something we would want to make. Unfortunately, it's quite a bit more involved than it seems though. So the giant version of the app you're seeing on iPad is just the default behavior you would see on any app that doesn't have a version specifically built for iPad. I mostly was suggesting to download it so that you can enter the contest, but if you're on an iPad it might be better just to go to the website. The android app will be available soon too though, so you'll be able to use that instead as well. Thanks for downloading it though! Really helps!
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby Benn Roe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm

No worries, I still think the app is useful! I'm stoked to have a proper search function!
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby gkuesmtpo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Benn Roe wrote:No worries, I still think the app is useful! I'm stoked to have a proper search function!

Thanks man. Search will be on the website pretty soon too. :)
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Have you considered adding some proper pagination (infinite scrolling sucks) and a fixed or sticky footer? Because I want to read your footer lol

Unless I'm missing something... But it's not working on Chrome and Firefox.

I'm not a frontend expert but can gladly assist because your project is fucking amazing!
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fcknoise » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:10 pm

I like this idea. Trading gear is usually really fun and cool, and I like it more than selling.
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gkuesmtpo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pm

tremolo3 wrote:Have you considered adding some proper pagination (infinite scrolling sucks) and a fixed or sticky footer? Because I want to read your footer lol

Unless I'm missing something... But it's not working on Chrome and Firefox.

I'm not a frontend expert but can gladly assist because your project is fucking amazing!

Yeah, it's a really awful design choice by me on that one. We will likely continue to have an infinite scroll but putting that stuff in the footer is super silly! I'd like to do some major over haul of the site design tbh, but we've been pretty focused on the app and haven't made many changes to the site recently (Though we are about to release a proper search on the website). Anyway, if you login and click on your avatar in the top right, you should be able to access some of the links in the footer, mainly the terms and the about page. Here are the rest of the links that are down there but unclickable haha:

About/Terms
App Terms
Email: contact@soundlot.com

Instagram
Reddit
Facebook
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby gkuesmtpo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:21 pm

Hey all, just added the ability to the app to be able to search by what other people are looking for – a feature a bunch of people were asking for! So if I have a Shallow Water for example, I can now search by which people are looking for a Shallow Water and see all the gear they have available to trade. It's only available on the iOS app at the moment though, but we also have an Android app that's still currently in development, so if anyone want's beta access to that, just DM me your email address and we can add you to the beta. Thanks!
gkuesmtpo

interested
interested

Postby omarwhite » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:38 am

can you search the app as a whole? for example, say youre selling a Shallow Water, and someone comments offering you an Electrofoods Nepenthes. you decline the offer, but say I want a Nepenthes and want to reach out to that person offering my Shallow Water for their Nepenthes.

would this only work if the person offering the Shallow Water has it listed in their Wants?
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Bro. Just use a browser! So much easier anyway. I do have the app but I know apps cost money to develop.

I've noticed most of these people want some crazy shit for their stuff. I haven't been able to make any trades yet because of that. Nothing to do with the site obviously. Just kind of sucks. Here's my old thing, I want your brand new hype pedals for it. That kind of jazz.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 pm

You can't post them on your profile? I guess I haven't posted much there, so I haven't seen that. Weird that would be an issue.

The trade thing is kind of unbalanced from the want side of things. Have this, want something worth 5x's this. That's what I've seen a lot of.

I've also seen people offer up exactly what someone is asking for and the person be like "got anything else". LOL! Those people ought to just get banned from life.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby sleep_debt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm

pretty late, but i think this is a great idea and executed fairly well. i like the idea of a site strictly for trading, as that fills a niche (people who have what you want and you have what they want)
sleep_debt

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear