· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Headphone suggestion

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 am

Hey, so I want some headphones, and I’m wondering if one pair can meet my needs, or if I’m dreaming of the impossible. I’d like some noise cancelling headphones for on my bus ride, just normal listening to Spotify and bandcamp. I also want some headphones to play guitar through via my katana. Anything that’ll do these decently for $100 or less? I have an amazon card for that much so that’s roughly the budget, but a little more is okay. Or if I need to get two different things. I’m not looking for top notch studio cans or anything, but a definite notch up from my $4 buds from the gas station.

Suggestions?

Re: Headphone suggestion

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:55 am

deez classix

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:56 am

Old tried and true MDR V6, if you don't mind the big ass 1/4 + a 1/8 adapter, or swapping the plug.

Also the ATH M line from Audio Technica are good, I've had the M40fs and M50 and both did the job, M50 being more boomy and M40fs more flat and pleasant for extended periods.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 am

actual wrote:deez classix

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506

Boom these look perfect. Looking into the audio technicas to!

Edit: ordered the sony's. Thanks for the help! Snagged them and a little case off amazon for under 100 :thumb:

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:06 am

PeteeBee wrote:

Boom these look perfect. Looking into the audio technicas to!

Edit: ordered the sony's. Thanks for the help! Snagged them and a little case off amazon for under 100 :thumb:

I use the ATH, 40s or 50s I don’t remember which. Initially bought for use with OBNE headphone amp but didn’t care for how it sounded with distortion so use them with my boogie F-100 and would recommend.

Neither pair, nor the Sony set of cans, is actually noise canceling but I suspect they’ll do a nice enough job for your needs. You would be hard pressed to find a decent set of noise canceling headphones in the $100 range.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 am

Wow, those Sony's are only $80 on Amazon Prime.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 pm

those classic sony phones aren't totally amazing sound-wise but for the price they're excellent - have used them forever and they're great workhorse headphones. they get a little uncomfortable after like an hour or two if you wear glasses but it's really hard to find a pair that don't push the frames into the sides of your head.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:43 pm

The MDRV6 are really great. They sound much better and lasted way longer than the AKG240s I had previously.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:53 pm

i've been using D6s since the early 1990s...i need a new pair.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:14 pm

I preferred the Sennheiser HD280s over the Sony's. I have a fat head, big ears, and I wear glasses.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm

my big head and wire-rimmed glasses never had a problem with the Sonys.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Sony MDR's showed up today. Crazy since I think I ordered them Friday at 10PM. They do sound great, but all my listening options to compare them with are really terrible so it is a pretty low bar. Tonight I hope to give them the test with my amp but I'm sure they will be more than sufficient. If anything it'll sound great just because I'll be able to turn up more.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Love my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. I prefer a closed isolated headphone though. I also hate using headphone amp to listen to music. They've gone down like $50 over the past few years too.

Sorry if too late PeteeBee.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:05 am

Sony MDR-7506's are a studio standard – kinda like an SM57 – since they sound good and provide good isolation. Definitely a choice you should feel happy with! And they'll keep your ears a lot healthier than those cheap earbuds.

I like the look/feel of AKG headphones, but they don't seem to last...

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:59 am

I've been using AKG K92 cans for a while now, just to listen music on my macbook. They're okay soundwhise, but like with any piece of gear, it's abotu what you expect/want/like :idk:
The mix definitely takes getting used to, and the overall build quality isn't too impressive. For the money though, it beats the competition, or at least the three popular alternatives I tried.
Post a reply