MWFX Judder noise [UPDATE - True Bypassed, worth the hassle]

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: MWFX Judder noise - anyone converted to true bypass?

Postby crochambeau » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 am

So, if I'm understanding the thread correctly, the only reason it's not true bypass is so it can blast on in momentary mode when "bypassed"?

All that function needs is an "always on" input to circuit. You can put a really quiet load free input reference to the rest of circuit that will "sniff" your signal when in bypass, with a parallel momentary to rip the thing into the chain when needed and more or less stay shut the fucked up when not wanted™.

I'm just talking function though, getting that within the existing construction may demand rehousing or unsightly modification, depending on existing conditions.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:52 am

Has this noise issue always been a problem or more recent? Found that the Tensor added noise to my signal, even with a full blast hum when I rolled my volume down on the guitar.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dismembermentplanned » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:53 am

I think this must be an issue with the more recent batch, mine's a couple years old and I don't get any noise from it at all.
dismembermentplanned

involved
involved

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 am

codetocontra wrote:Has this noise issue always been a problem or more recent? Found that the Tensor added noise to my signal, even with a full blast hum when I rolled my volume down on the guitar.

Your Tensor isn’t getting enough current most likely. It needs 250ma. This has always been a problem with this pedal. Ive been trying to find a solution since I got it in 2016.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:24 am

My Tensor was getting 300mA from my Aetos. Oddly enough it was less noisy when powered from one outlet than another. It may have been the interaction of it's buffer with others too but I don't know and gave up. Just a suggestion that maybe it was compounding issues with your Judder, but I guess not if it has always been that way.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 am

No pun (but obviously not literal)- that sounds like a lemon. I have nowhere near that amount of hiss, even when engaged and maxed out. (Bought March 2017 so likely same version).

And IME, dealing with MW tried ones patience.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby repoman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Do Pt2399s get damaged as they are used more? I swear every PT2399 pedal I've owned gets progressively more noisy as time goes on. Sometimes theres weird stuff you have to do like unplug them and plug them back in to get them working again, I remember having to do that with my Judder and Gjengangar.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm

...some reason I felt the tensor thread turning into what it has, and now this is bringing me down...there was a good week of considering flipping it, but the judder is such a lively beast which moves with your music & the suprise's exploring it's function's in cahoots with different equipment overtime makes it hard to part with, just too fun.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:51 pm

repoman wrote:Do Pt2399s get damaged as they are used more? I swear every PT2399 pedal I've owned gets progressively more noisy as time goes on. Sometimes theres weird stuff you have to do like unplug them and plug them back in to get them working again, I remember having to do that with my Judder and Gjengangar.

yes, that is why i asked, i did not have any experience with a pt2399 getting worse over time but they definitely are not all created equal, some are very noisy, some are fine, and also i had similar experience with what you said about haveing to power cycle them sometimes. i think it's because they are only specced to work for certain delay times (clock speeds?) and they seem to crash and or not start up properly if the resistor that dictates the closck speed is too small (too fast a clock?), that is my experience from working with them anyways.

im sure maybe on a bigger diy forum (freestompbox or diystompbox) there may be more people aware of it.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:I got the solution brb, on toilet

..ok, so this was pissing me off as well but whoa ho ho when your not using the pedal, at least on mine...if you turn the lfo/env knob all way down
Turn mix knob down
Have auto switch in middle position
Have the lfo/env switch down on env

....the screaming stops.

Having to do that to avoid noise kind of defeats the purpose of the pedal though. I don't want to have to move the controls back to the position I want every time I use the pedal.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:45 pm

multi_s wrote:also i had similar experience with what you said about haveing to power cycle them sometimes.

this has been my experience with this box. Often I’ll stomp and Judder says: wut. Requires twiddlin of the knobs to get the effect to effect (or is it affect)?

As ?isMK noted, not ideal from reliability or performance perspectives.
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Edit - nvm need to figure out what's going on with the present bypass scheme.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Bypass modification done. Its a little tricky because of the way the pedal is built and the 24 gauge wire MWFX uses. A lot of the solder joints on the offboard wires are really sloppy or only connected to one or two strands so I had to do some tricky work with my solder sucker to get the PCB pads clear for new wires. Also a full-size 3PDT barely fits in the corner of the enclosure where the hole is drilled. But if you're handy with rework its a pretty straightforward job. Its worth noting that the pedal ticks in bypass so an ideal modification would include buffering the input with a small circuit but if you have a buffer anywhere in the chain before the Judder you won't have ticking.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear