Pedal Demo Videos - Who Makes Your Favourite?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Pedal Demo Videos - Who Makes Your Favourite?

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Ah jez I fucked up that spelling.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rickenbastard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:19 pm

I like the way I do demo videos which is why I do them that way. I make sure the recording sounds as close as it can to if you were standing in front of my amp at stage volume. I don’t want a sterile bedroom volume and I play all different kinds of notes and chords and styles at a few different settings and that’s it. No talking. No hype. Let the gear do the talking. Funny the comments people leave on my playing like I’m trying to advertise my ability
rickenbastard

committed
committed

Postby Arcane » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:29 am

MrExcane is going to rock a demo for me. Stoked for that.

Still looking to get a few more done up.
Arcane

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:14 am

I hate pretty much all demos these days.

But I think Burgs is such a good guitarist, and good demoer that he could do anything.
Dunno what his reach is like these days, but there are just such a wide range of musical styles that it sounds like he really feels at home with. When he plays heavy stuff it sounds heavy, when he plays poppy it sounds poppy. He's done midfi weird stuff and made it sound good and he's done fragile lettuce overdrives.

The best demo ever would be if Burgs played it and then Aen did all the talking and editing.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 am

Exie is good too :)
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby repoman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

I like videos that are very simple, I get really irritated watching the highly stylized ones because they do a wonderful job of making nice sounds but also don't give me a good idea of what the pedal actually does and often have this thing where somehow all the pedals start sounding a like.
I like Shnobels videos, theres one called Livingroomgeardemos thats very simple and straight forward. Really dislike videos where the host talks for more than like 1 or 2 minutes or the host is some wacky zany guy like Greg Koch or Rob Chappers. Dislike ones with backing tracks usually. The CME and Reverb demos are pretty effective at selling gear I think, theres been a lot of ones made by that Joel dude where I go "man...I really, really wish I had some money to buy xxx"
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 am

i still like Andy. JustNick's videos are too long, and he talks too much. i actually liked the FuzzBoxGirl demos once i got past the intros.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 am

I wish Julie Slick would start a pedal channel. I would watch that.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 am

dubkitty wrote:i still like Andy. JustNick's videos are too long, and he talks too much. i actually liked the FuzzBoxGirl demos once i got past the intros.

I'm with DK.

Get justnick to demo it on the condition that someone else can edit the vid. Cut his 24 minutes down to 3.
FBG was good too.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Since I slappa da bass, my favorite to actually find new stuff I want is probably Patrick Hunter. Nice riffs, looks for good settings and gives his opinion on the pedal at the end. If I have anything negative to say about his demos it's that he's veeeeery rarely negative about a pedal, but that's no biggie.

Like, how sick is this opening? :rock:

Also, thanks to those of you who mentioned my channel. That makes me happy even though I'm pretty sick of making demos. :lol: :hug:
Last edited by UglyCasanova on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:If I have anything negative to say about his demos it's that he's veeeeery rarely negative about a pedal, but that's no biggie.

Wouldn't that make it a review and not a demo? :wha?: :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm

That's a fair point. It's just set up more like a review than a demo with all the talking, imo. Doesn't really bother me either way. :idk: :)*
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Needz moar negativity. :erm: :cool:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:15 pm

[-____-]

;)
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 am

lordgalvar wrote:I think the concept of a consensus opinion of the perfect demo format is impossible. With a creative format as open and expansive as sound processing it's going to be be near impossible to please everyone.

Having 3 demos with different approaches with some overlap could be the best approach. Something like excane (more heavy, bass/guitar) + pgs Andy/Bergs (good standard rock with some punk gems) + UC/UG (more experimental) is probably the best way for a builder to really give a good informed idea of what their pedal is offering. There is just too many viewpoints to really cover something that pleases every one with every video...I guess it's about knowing that no matter what the demo will have haters.

Agreed. Consensus is impossible.
Demos that actually illustrate a pedal in use (gain pedal without the use of delay-drenching) are helpful before you buy.
An engaging sound/visual will have a person coming back for repeated viewings perhaps even after they've purchased (like going to a favorite restaurant).

Analytics approach might yield the highest yield. But at a certain point statistics are just aggregates, and not universally valid. Outliers always exist.
Is ILF an outlier?

Arcane wrote:Actually, I don't really care about a million subscribers. I just want some killer clips and fun demos. I barely have time to build and certainly no time to make quality demos. It would be nice to be able to point a player along to a demo when they ask for one.

If numbers matter not... the sky and your gut are the limit.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear