Tape Recording: teach me how to analog

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Tape Recording: teach me how to analog

Postby 01010111 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:05 am

rfurtkamp wrote:The process won't make you make better product, just give you a different method of getting there.

I completely agree. This definitely isn’t going to improve me as a musician, or even make me better at recording. But I feel like it will encourage me to record more if I’m using something that’s easy to use.

The other day I was helping my wife test a digital, multitrack recorder that came into her shop (she works as a tech but didn’t have anything to test it with after she repaired it). At first I was excited to try it, because I wanted to record something and haven’t had a means to do so for a long time. But after a few moments with the thing, I started to remember why I hated the things so much...

Why did you trade in all your analog gear for digital gear? It sounds like you had an impressive setup? It doesn’t sound like that much of a hassle?

I’m 100% there on the midi love :love:

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:08 am

On the rare occasion I want "tape", I bounce a mono track through the Space Echo, 100% wet, one repeat, and time align (since it's all wet, no source material/sound and the tape output just plays it back once).
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kralc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 am

01010111 wrote:If you love DAWs, why do you hate midi? From what I understand, there’s so much cool midi stuff you can do with a DAW that’s much harder to do with hardware? That’s the only thing that really tempts me about DAWs, tbh.

Probably cause all of my time music making is spent with samples/orchestral sample libs where "mod wheel for this" "ccwhatever for that" "velocity who cares for this articulation" can be a bit grating. Especially when using orchestral sounds (no matter how good they are), they're imitations. Just need a little break from it. If it was midi controlling an actual synth or something, cool? I just want synths, guitars, other people playing their instruments for a bit.

rfurtkamp wrote:The process won't make you make better product, just give you a different method of getting there.

thumbs up.
kralc

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:08 am

Here's the joke: the only MIDI I'm using is CC from the pedalboard to control downrange stuff (i.e. turn on/off another loop in a chained switcher) or when I run the guitar synth MIDI out into the System-1 to have stuff to tweak as I hold a chord or whatever.

I could not imagine a deeper hell than having to deal with sample libraries as my primary source of music making.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kralc » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 am

heh, I survive.
kralc

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear