Salesmodels for small pedal makers

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Salesmodels for small pedal makers

Postby adamajah » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 pm

I like waiting lists (no deposit). It evens the playing field and removes the stress.
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby The Eristic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 pm

I much prefer waiting lists, too. I like knowing that I'll actually have a chance to get one, even if it's down the road, and can be prepared for it. (Just don't take deposits if you have to use the money to buy your parts. That usually spells trouble.) Short/zero-notice batch sales are too unpredictable in terms of scheduling, and if I do happen to be online when they go up, there's no time to think about the purchase, as they'll all get hoovered up by flippers while I'm considering if it's the right decision at that moment.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby cantremember » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm

adamajah wrote:I like waiting lists (no deposit). It evens the playing field and removes the stress.

+1
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby Jwar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm

coupleonapkins wrote:I'll add to the chorus of preferring social media buildup leading up to available/in-stock ready for sale, as well as general waiting lists (sans deposit). Cooper FX does a great job of keeping people in the loop, I think, in and out of his shark tank, and on Instagram especially. :thumb:

I must not be on the mailing list because I never see updates from him and it's a crap shoot on whether or not it will show up on my Insta.

I personally think social media build up is the most annoying thing in the worst. It's obnoxious when there's any build up though IMO. Just show me the fucking pedal. I don't like hype building anymore. I get it sells shit though, just not to me.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby The Eristic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:I must not be on the mailing list because I never see updates from him and it's a crap shoot on whether or not it will show up on my Insta.

I was getting mails from him when I bought a Gen Loss in 2016, but I've signed up for the mailing list on his site multiple times with multiple emails trying to get heads up on Outward and haven't gotten one since. :idk:
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby damnableman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:40 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Thu May 09, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Almost everything I build has a high range of customization options to it, so I'm stuck in a build to order model for the time being, whereupon I request at least 25% down payment before construction begins.

I've done preorder lists in the past, my advice is to have the design 100% complete and repeatable before doing that..

I have some projects underway that might be higher numbers of standard devices, so I'm grabbing the popcorn and getting comfortable.

:snax:

Regarding sales as in "on sale" as opposed to "for sale", I've only ever embarked on chasing sales when I'm in a bind and want to generate rapid cash flow, and every time I've done it I've been left with an uncomfortable feeling, so I simply don't do sales anymore. (I don't think this was encapsulated in the original post, but I see some replies lean in this manner).
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 am

I'll happily pay deposit for a custom.

I WILL NOT for an off-the-rack "will be built sometime!"

Not interested in sudden, "Buy one of ten" sales either.

I'd rather it be "will be available for order on X, and ship out on Y" definite.

Seen too many folks get burned by anything else.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:58 am

cantremember wrote:
adamajah wrote:I like waiting lists (no deposit). It evens the playing field and removes the stress.

+1

^

I don't mind if there is a deposit TBH, provided it's from a builder who is a good communicator and trustworthy.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

What works for me as a builder might not be what the consumer likes... I get its hard to buy pedals when they are released the way I do things, but its the simplest way logistically for me to sell a big batch of pedals, rather than keep track of a bunch of names. Just one less layer of head ache.

Also, I only send out emails when I have pedals for sale so that explains why some folks havent gotten emails. Less clutter for your inboxes .

Honestly I dont think there is a right way to do things, whatever helps you sell pedals in the easiest way is what you should do. I've just followed Montreal Assembly's formula and its worked for me fortunately. Shoot me an email or DM if you want to ask me anything more specific
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby publicfig » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:58 pm

I think, at the time I bought my In Limbo from 80tape, he had a pretty decent method. Listed as out of stock on the website, emailed him and he said when he expects the new orders to be ready and said I could fill out a purchase order if I wanted one, knowing it would be a bit before it actually arrived. Didn't advertise that that was an option, which I think made it easier for people who were really interested in the pedal to find it out as opposed to everyone who has even considered one signing up for a no-cash waitlist that can wildly inflate numbers making supply hard to gauge. I have a feeling this doesn't work well at scale though.

One method I have always wanted to see (that could be terrible) is for small builders to do a certain pre-order period, like a week. Have customers supply payment information at that time but don't charge them. Once pre-order period is done (or maybe hits an upper limit), tell groups of pre-order folks how long of an estimate they will have (group 1, 2 weeks. group 2, 4 weeks etc.) and let them back out if they are no longer interested, bumping people up in groups if they are in a later group and a position becomes available. That way it's easier to figure out supplies without setting an unrealistic expectation of timing. This would probably only work on pedals that would likely either sell out or sell most of their stock in pretty short order anyway.
publicfig

interested
interested

Previous

Return to General Gear