4ms mini noise swash question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

4ms mini noise swash question

Postby noisefield » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi !

i have built a noise swash and have a question about it

i have it in my effect chain and when it's off it sometimes (depends on settings) make some background noises (it's like it bleed)

i'm asking if it's normal for this unit or if i've done something wrong when i built it. I've check all the cables, all components are at the good places ...

i've seen it's true bypass so i don't really understand how it's possible that some sound comes out even the pedal on off...

thanks
Jo
noisefield

interested
interested

Re: 4ms mini noise swash question

Postby baremountain » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Yeah, that's 100% not normal. Sounds like you've got some interference somewhere. Does this occur at all knob/switch settings, or just certain ones? What happens to the dry signal if you turn Volume down on the Swash while it's bypassed? Also for future reference this kinda thing goes in the DIY Effects board ;)
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby harpies » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm

I had one, and it had a little of the same bleed when the settings were set to oscillate. Not saying it’s normal, but maybe it is for that circuit, esp since it has such wild settings.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby noisefield » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi !

thanks (on the future i will use the good section : ) )

i think it's not occur with all settings
when i turn down the volume of the swash the dry signal of the guitar stay the same but when i have a setting that "bleed" when swash is bypassed i think that the "bleed sound" disappear i the swash volume is completely down.

Is there other mini swash users here ? it's difficult to know if this kind of units works as it does without check other units...

and another question about the LOW pot : also depend on settings but i turn it the sound disappear and then come back. sometimes the sound stay continuous but not every times but like it act on the voltage of some parts of the circuit it may be normal ?
noisefield

interested
interested

Postby noisefield » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 pm

no other swash users ?
put you it in bypass looper if you have the same "bleed" ?
noisefield

interested
interested

Postby crochambeau » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:33 pm

noisefield wrote:i have it in my effect chain and when it's off it sometimes (depends on settings) make some background noises (it's like it bleed)

I'm unfamiliar with the noise swash, but I know from first hand experience that oscillator bleed can occur while in a true bypass configuration. My 3PDT footswitch was already wired to ground both input and output of the PCB when in bypass, but the oscillator section was nested inside the circuit and able to maintain oscillation with both ends of the over all circuit snubbed to ground. My solution was employing a 4PDT with the snubbing circuit seen at right:

Please note, this configuration was developed to tame my own design, and I cannot tell you where to snub the oscillator (or if it is safe for the oscillator in your Noise Swash to do so). The 20 ohm resistor is the highest value that would reliably snub my oscillator in bypass, and I elected to insert resistance there so the active circuit that oscillates wasn't feeding ground.

It is reasonable to expect you can find a point in the circuit board that will snub the oscillator when shown a low resistance to ground, but I will not be responsible for any harm done in the process. ;)

It's also theoretically possible depending on osc type that engaging the circuit from a snubbed state might incur a noticeable frequency drift while timing components reach an equilibrium charge for their setting after feeding ground.

(Naturally, all of the above assumes that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the build)
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby noisefield » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:36 pm

ok thanks for the idea

i don't know if i want to mod the swash design cause i don't know of it safe ...
i asked to 4ms but don't have answer from now

if it's normal i will end up with a true bypass loop
noisefield

interested
interested

Return to General Gear