Pitch shifting delay

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Pitch shifting delay

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:57 pm

frigid midget wrote:
daedelus23 wrote:I stick a Boss PS-2 in the effects loop of a Rubberneck. You can pitch it up or down for delays that take off or plunge into the depths.

Fuck I totally forgot the Rubberneck has a loop. Want one even more now :facepalm:

Btw, dunno if you have any PS-3 experience? Probably the oldes pedlol question on the interweb, srry...: What's the difference? Love my PS-3, but what am I missing out on? :idk:

I gotchyu fella, rare pumpkinpieces era snacks

Also a video of messing with the sampling of PS-2 into the PS-3

Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Davin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 pm

frigid midget wrote:
daedelus23 wrote:I stick a Boss PS-2 in the effects loop of a Rubberneck. You can pitch it up or down for delays that take off or plunge into the depths.

Fuck I totally forgot the Rubberneck has a loop. Want one even more now :facepalm:

Btw, dunno if you have any PS-3 experience? Probably the oldes pedlol question on the interweb, srry...: What's the difference? Love my PS-3, but what am I missing out on? :idk:

I've never tried a PS-3 so maybe someone else will chime in. The PS-2 was cheap which is why I grabbed it. That and the Slowdive connection. I really like how the repeats thin out as they decay as opposed to my other delays which have a different flavor. Nothing else I've used has quite the same decay ... the low end slowly gets filtered out leaving high frequency artifacts. Plus you can put it in "Manual Pitchshift" mode and dial it so it's just barely sharp or flat, turn up the regen and get an effect not unlike a Rainbow Machine. Tune it like that and put it in the Rubberneck for epic weirdness.

EDIT: Didn't see the comparison video before posting. I'm happier with my PS-2 now just for the record. If anyone's keeping track ... which they aren't. :facepalm:
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 am

Tnks!

I dig the analog-esque vibe of the PS-2. The PS-3 seems a bit more hi-fi, which is kinda wasted on me. Mode 7 is cool, but other than that, I guess something like a pitchfork would make more sense if I wanted a fast tracking versatile pitch shifter...:idk:

I mainly keep mine on my board for the digital delay, but there's plenty of sweeter options on the market for tricked out digital delay pedals. It's just that they usually cost considerably more ...:/
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:28 pm

frigid midget wrote:Tnks!

I dig the analog-esque vibe of the PS-2. The PS-3 seems a bit more hi-fi, which is kinda wasted on me. Mode 7 is cool, but other than that, I guess something like a pitchfork would make more sense if I wanted a fast tracking versatile pitch shifter...:idk:

I mainly keep mine on my board for the digital delay, but there's plenty of sweeter options on the market for tricked out digital delay pedals. It's just that they usually cost considerably more ...:/

Highly recommend looking at the Boss PS-6 if you want a bit more wild stuff on top of fast tracking pitch shifting/harmonies. I had a blast demoing one and messing with the rise/fall time on S Bend mode. Gets all the wacky tape bending sounds of a whammy for less space and with less foot work.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Lebowsky » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 pm

I think the Raster does exactly what you're describing...?
Gibson Ripper + GK 1001RB-II / 210RBH / 115RBH + GK 400RB / Bag End S15-D / S15X-D
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 pm

fcknoise wrote:this is like the one thing timebender doesn't do. Or it could alternate between two/three different pitches but not continually keep going. That bicycle delay thing does that tho

damnableman wrote:Bitquest
Bicycle Delay

I may be wrong, but I do not think that the Bicycle Delay does "pitch" shifting.

That depends on if I've understood the technical stuff. But my understanding is that
the Catalinbread Bicycle Delay shifts repeats based on frequency, not pitch.
So if you want all your notes shifted up by a fifth, then a pitch delay will do that.
But a "frequency delay" like the Bicycle Delay will just shift frequencies by some
number, which won't uniformly give a specific "pitch" difference. Which is why
it sort of gets in the glockenspiel/bowls/ring modulation territory because it's
more warble and weird than a strict shift of a musical interval.

Or maybe you guys are right and I don't really understand what I thought that I
almost understood?

:idk:
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby damnableman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:00 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby mikelbengoetxea » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:48 pm

I recently built an attemp at octa-delay, called the Elevator Pitch :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn_4gVFA-TP/

It's a pt2399 delay with the repeats going trough a Green Ringer based octa-fuzz circuit, kinda like if you put an EQD Tentacle in the Rubberneck's loop.

At first I was not so keen on the dirtiness of the repeats, but it ended up growing on me.
Last edited by mikelbengoetxea on Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikelbengoetxea

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:03 pm

mikelbengoetxea wrote:I'm recently built an attemp at octa-delay, called the Elevator Pitch :)

It's a pt2399 delay with the repeats going trough a Green Ringer based octa-fuzz circuit, kinda like if you put an EQD Tentacle in the Rubberneck's loop.

At first I was not so keen on the dirtiness of the repeats, but it ended up growing on me.

Glad you tried this. I was block diagraming a prelim schematic of something similar a few years back, but never got to breadboard or build. I wanted to also do a Blue Box-type sub octave mixed in dry outside the delay loop.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fldrvr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Pretty sure the pigtronix echolution 2 can do repeats that continuously pitch up.

The Zoom offerings definitely have a pitch delay model as well (MS; G3)

Frankly, you should look hard at the timebender, not entirely sure what sound you are looking for but pitching and harmonizing repeats is what this thing does.
Good deals: Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000 (x2), kbithecrowing, Casavettes, leaves turn, psychedelicrelic, nevada, alexsga, sa1126, Invisible Man, foot, solewheelin', hbombgraphics, bronzetalon, Aquietcabin1978, bass_econo, christafarai; (on TalkBass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227, karter2000; (on TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (on DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, lethargytartare; (on HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby Purple Colored Rock » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:58 am

Goddamn, now I am regretting selling my PS-3. Gues I’ll hunt for another one.
Purple Colored Rock

interested
interested

Postby friendship » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 am

mikelbengoetxea wrote:I'm recently built an attemp at octa-delay, called the Elevator Pitch :)

This is cool imo
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

The EHX Canyon totally does this in the Octave mode. And now they've released the crazygonuts-fully-featured "Grand Canyon," which will have all kinds of crazy levels of control over pitchyness...
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby VREEEEVROOOOOW » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:26 pm

I forgot about this thread—I got a PS-3.
VREEEEVROOOOOW

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 pm

VREEEEVROOOOOW wrote:I forgot about this thread—I got a PS-3.

damn right you did.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear