· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Korg Nutubes

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Anyone mess with anything with the Korg Nutubes in them? All Ive seen so far is a VOX amp and a preorder for a Ibanez Nu Tube Screamer. (They seriously missed out by not calling it the n00b screamer).

Also, anyone find a good dealer for the nutubes, the best deal I found is getting someone from the uk to ship me some.

Re: Korg Nutubes

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I am kinda interested in checking out the Nutube Screamer but heard the price would be in the $300 ballpark, which, nah. That's an amount of money I will only comfortably spend on high end delay or glitchfest pedals.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Yeah, it ain't cheap at $249.99.

I can't find the nu tubes for less than $50 bucks right now, but I found a simple diy circuit for it I want to try out.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm

I plugged in one of the Vox MV50 heads into a Marshall cab and and I believe an orange cab when they first arrived at the GC I used to work at and holy fuck I really liked them. Honestly totally caught off guard at how good the overdrive sounded. Can't say how they react to pedals but just guitar straight into amp sounded really dang good.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:35 pm

That's good to hear!

Here's a comparizon between the AC15 and MV50 with pedals, same speaker.

To my ears, the AC15 has more pleasing lows and more headroom, but the MV 50 would cut pretty well in a mix. Pretty killer for a $200 mini amp.

A couple versions in pedals

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Vox had an organ built with them. It was surrounded by velvet rope.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 am

not gonna lie, if Nick did a preamp similar to that one posted but voiced like his DA120 (aka Matamp) I'd totally rock it with confidence. I hope more companies start using these things so the cost comes down a bit. **edited because I said "like" 3x in 1 sentence

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

The MV50AC ain't sound bad at all, except for the fuzz part, it don't like no muff. Still though, class D power amp, if I'd buy it I would just feel like I had thrown €200 away that could've also gone towards the purchase of a tube head :idk:

Sweetwater's Nu Tube Screamer demo on the other hand is making me rethink spending €250 on a drive pedal. It blows the regular TS out of the water in all regards.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 pm

The price isn't very appealing for just the nutube itself. I hope things don't go like this...
1.) Nutubes aren't selling. Why? Price.
2.) How do we fix this? Ramp up production and make it more efficient.
3.) Why would we ramp up production? Nutube products aren't selling well.

Rinse, repeat, slam head into wall.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 pm

DRodriguez wrote:n00b screamer

YES

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 pm

I dunno, I think we're all too accustomed to low cost (hidden expenses). $50 for a dual triode is not the end of the world.

I read that a Fairchild μA702C ran $9 in '67, which is like $67 today. Sometimes you've just got to grab this shit by the balls and dive in.

I want to play with one.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 am

Someone should get some of Noritake Itron's VFD's and figure out how to use it like the NuTubes.
Korg and Noritake Itron, obviously, won't ever tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if the leap between the NuTubes and their standard displays is actually quite small.
:idea:

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 am

Meh I say. MEH!

I mean, if someone developed something cool with these, I'd be interested, but a fucking tube screamer? Come on. That's dumb. I hate you Ibanez. :)

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm

The guy from BuggFX started a PCB business; he's got one NuTube containing drive layout in the works. I'm not sure if it will be any different than the Ibanez to be honest (his description of it seems like it could be interesting but I don't know how Ibanez is implementing the NuTube in the circuit). But it might be worth checking out if you just want to mess with one.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Did anything else come out of this?
Post a reply