Dealing with bass/low end in a guitar lead 2 piece

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Dealing with bass/low end in a guitar lead 2 piece

Postby Fuzzrociouspedals » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

KingNed wrote:I also have that Fuzzrocious designed MXR bass distortion, which is a RAT with a clean blend. I AB'd that with my muff (a green Sovtek version I built with loads of NOS parts) and the Muff just sounded way better solo, but I guess I need to consider its role in the mix more. Any other suggestions of cool bass fuzzes that could work in this context?

Comparing muffs to rats is an apples to bananas situation. You have a mid scoop in tone and mid bump in the other. Alone, typically a muff will destroy a rat, but in a mix, again typically a middy distortion, like the rat or MXR BD will push through. You'll feel a muff, but hear a rat.
[b]FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS: http://www.fuzzrociouspedals.com[b]
Fuzzrociouspedals

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm

I don't remember if this has been discussed but how fast are you playing? If you're playing fast, or playing more notes than you would if you were actually playing bass, then a looser drive like a muff or rat can get really garbled with octave down signals. That's the main reason I use an aggressive bass drive. My B7K is sharper and holds up to faster playing better than other pedals that might sound fuller when played with a real bass.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby KingNed » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:I don't remember if this has been discussed but how fast are you playing? If you're playing fast, or playing more notes than you would if you were actually playing bass, then a looser drive like a muff or rat can get really garbled with octave down signals. That's the main reason I use an aggressive bass drive. My B7K is sharper and holds up to faster playing better than other pedals that might sound fuller when played with a real bass.

Typically not very fast at all. Kinda slower stonery/sludgy stuff.

I've put the rat on my board, put an EQ on there as well. I also have a more aggressive drive I lent to a friend I might try. Bit poor post Christmas, but I have a practice and a gig in the next couple of weeks and I'll try to shape things, maybe consider a mic to keep consistency.

I also took delivery of an aluminium neck a short while back that I'm yet to try loud, but excited to hear the effects it has on my tone.

Any more suggestions from anyone would be awesome. Been enjoying this thread so far!
Staff Party - Noise Rock Power Trio https://thisisstaffparty.bandcamp.com/
KingNed

involved
involved

Postby Antlerface » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Bon Hoga wrote:
Been in a duo for about six years now, Bass VI is the only thing that has made me happy.

Man, I use a bunch of pitch shifters and the like. I've considered just going Bass VI before. I might should just do it.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to General Gear