what's a good recording interface for MacBook Pro?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

what's a good recording interface for MacBook Pro?

Postby dubkitty » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:40 am

i'd particularly like to know whether PreSonus, Focusrite, and/or Steinberg are good because i can get them at an employee discount from work.
"there is no culture is my brag"--Mark E. Smith

"the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"--Richard J. Daley

"i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
i want to walk in the snow and not soil its purity"--Richey Edwards

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Jerry Garcia and Neil Halstead...OK, Charlottesville if you must

Re: what's a good recording interface for MacBook Pro?

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:46 am

I have one of these and it sounds fine to me going into GarageBand:

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but I don't have a lot of other experience. :idk: Hopefully people who know more will chime in.
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and thieves, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"...a benevolent dictatorship can be O.K. for as long as the benevolence lasts…” - Hardy Green
"Flangers gonna Flange, though. There's no way around that." - Joel Korte
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Muff_Diver » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 am

Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is great for home stuff. USB powered, 2 input, phantom power, easy to use and transport. I got mine used for like 40 bucks.
I use a scarlett into a 2010 MacBook pro with ableton.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:16 pm

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD
I have one of these and a presonus, this behringer sounds really good. I've been using a program called Reaper that is very nice and pretty cheap.
repoman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm

I have always heard great things about Focusrite. Do you have any discounts with Native Instruments? I can personally recommend their Komplete Audio 6. No qualms with audio quality, and the led indicator info as well as the main volume knob are on the top of the interface, easy to view and unblocked by cables/jacks. Tons of free software comes with it as well. My old coworkers were all pitching me one of the three you mentioned, and I couldn't decide. Saw the Komplete 6, read reviews, and pulled the trigger. For what its worth I use Ableton and run Windows 10, but I briefly looked and it is compatible with Macs.
mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is great for home stuff. USB powered, 2 input, phantom power, easy to use and transport. I got mine used for like 40 bucks.

More or less this. I use a repurposed 2008 MacBook. I also use the Scarlett on some old think pads with Ubuntu on it. I like it a lot.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"I was playing guitar a minute ago and had to take a shit...kinda bummned out cuz I was trying to get this super awesome riff down, now I'm just holdin my penis down readin this crap" -comesect2.0
Don't do me ugly...
Oh Lord! The streets took you Blaze! Didn't I tell you!
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Corey Y » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Focusrite are good in general and work well with Macs. I have had several that I've used with iMacs. There's plenty of firewire or Thunderbolt based options. I'd highly suggest the Thunderbolt based ones (Clarett line, I think), if there's one that's in your budget and has the features you want.
Corey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bassist_Diver » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:39 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
Muff_Diver wrote:Focusrite scarlett 2i2 is great for home stuff. USB powered, 2 input, phantom power, easy to use and transport. I got mine used for like 40 bucks.

More or less this. I use a repurposed 2008 MacBook. I also use the Scarlett on some old think pads with Ubuntu on it. I like it a lot.

Another vote from me - works like a champ on my MBP.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Been using a 2i2 for 4-5 years, it has noisy preamps and doesn't like dynamic mics :( I never bothered to try anything else because I wasn't doing anything really "serious" but I'm definitely trying something else pretty soon.

For DI stuff and Condensers works very good.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:49 pm

My alternate (probably unwanted) recommendation is to take advantage of the thunderbolt ports and go with a resident audio interface.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Corey Y » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:59 pm

tremolo3 wrote:Been using a 2i2 for 4-5 years, it has noisy preamps and doesn't like dynamic mics :( I never bothered to try anything else because I wasn't doing anything really "serious" but I'm definitely trying something else pretty soon.

For DI stuff and Condensers works very good.

I can't speak to the 2i2, never used it, but I have had the Liquid Saffire 56, OctoPre MkII and Clarett 8pre. All good, excellent preamps, quiet with any mic, all used in professional recording situations. Granted, those are all on the higher end for their lines and I don't know if they share the same preamps as the Scarlett series . I think my buddy might have the 2i2 or something similar and he hasn't had complaints with dynamics, but he pretty much only records very high gain stuff at home. So noise is a given and I'm sure he's always gating everything anyway.

For the Saffire and now the Clarett series, the quality of the preamps are one of the reasons I went with them. The rig in my old studio, I used boutique external mic preamps and a board. Though I will say my tastes changed dramatically, away from character preamps are towards more hi-fi style.
Corey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby GardenoftheDead » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:12 pm

The focusrite stuff is good.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Focusrite is the way to go. PreSonus has a colored sound – it's great sometimes, but annoying to be stuck with. The Focusrite Scarletts just gives you a great, clean reproduction of your sound. The 2i2 is basically the perfect starter interface, or the 2i4 if you need MIDI. Aside from Focusrite and Presonus, I wouldn't recommend any other cheap interfaces.

However, if you have Thunderbolt and you're willing to expand your budget a bit, I'd REALLY recommend the Focusrite Clarett interfaces. They're clean sounding like the Scarletts, but have an extra bit of detail and clarity that's hard to give up once you hear it. They're also super low latency (which is great if you use Max for sound processing like I do), they aren't as noisy, and they distort in a really pleasant way.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

so i went ahead and ordered the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2...with my employee discount i got the bundle which includes a big ol' condenser mic, cable, and a set of cans for $169. thanks for the input, everybody!
"there is no culture is my brag"--Mark E. Smith

"the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder"--Richard J. Daley

"i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
i want to walk in the snow and not soil its purity"--Richey Edwards

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

SCARING THE CHILDREN SINCE 1970
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Jerry Garcia and Neil Halstead...OK, Charlottesville if you must

Postby Corey Y » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Awesome, now spend every spare minute recording everything every way you can think of. :thumb:
Corey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear