Successful examples of multiple fuzz sounds in a recording

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Successful examples of multiple fuzz sounds in a recordi

Postby shikawkee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm

I think I used 4-5 (or maybe more?) different fuzzes on this record which was a PITA because we cut it live mostly and I had to schlep my stuff to Norway. We're a trio and I think fuzz works best in a trio format when it's not fighting many other instruments IMO. There are exceptions of course. A friend of mine refers to it as a "trick" and I can't argue with that:

https://soundcloud.com/madkingedmundband/sets/best-true-stories
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 pm

The first Silversun Pickups has a lot of cool fuzz tones that change a lot. But live (at the time) dude used two tubescreamers and a JCM800 for dirty tones.

Rinko Deathstarr has some cool fuzz tones when I saw them a few years ago. He was using a Superfuzz, CS-3, and IC Muff into a JMP1 preamp and was switching tones all over the place. It sounded dope.
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Double post: this is literally the reason I only have 2 overdrives on my live board and am getting more into modulation for dynamic shifts. Dirt is dirt at gig volume and adding more doesn’t change your sound, just makes tapdancing harder.
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Crass did it a lot on their recordings...probably not live though. BeeBaa (thanks, Soni) and some kind of blown speaker/bad preamp tone. Bloody Revolutions. Deadhead. Probably more switching channels on amps and the BeeBaa for different combos.

Melt banana/Agata. Chainshot to have some fun
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:19 pm

I do this sometimes where I’ll use a different dirt tone to add variation to the same riff, but that’s more stacking fuzz/drive for more gain?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 am

The guitarists in Curve were tinkering with all sorts of dirt around the Cuckoo era, some of which was likely fuzz. There are textural contrasts here and there, though the dynamics remain fairly consistent. The first track on Gift has a mean octave fuzz riff that differs from most of what follows on the album. When reflecting upon this topic, I'm surprised more shoe and nu gaze bands don't meet these criteria (at least in the studio, anyway).
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:28 am

ck3 wrote:The guitarists in Curve were tinkering with all sorts of dirt around the Cuckoo era, some of which was likely fuzz. There are textural contrasts here and there, though the dynamics remain fairly consistent. The first track on Gift has a mean octave fuzz riff that differs from most of what follows on the album. When reflecting upon this topic, I'm surprised more shoe and nu gaze bands don't meet these criteria (at least in the studio, anyway).

Word, Curve is a good place to look. I hesitated to mention them because some recordings are very sample/beat based but either way most of their songs are always distorted and texture shifting.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby friendship » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am

there's a weezer song on the blue album where he has a muff on during a verse and then blasts into amp distortion for the bridge and chorus. I think it's Garage.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 pm

friendship wrote:there's a weezer song on the blue album where he has a muff on during a verse and then blasts into amp distortion for the bridge and chorus. I think it's Garage.

Oh fuck you're right. Thats probably my favorite tune on the blue album!
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby xrleroyx » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 am

I don't know, I saw Dino Jr twice this year. Once at a festival and once at a tiny venue at a brewery. At the brewery I really couldn't tell, it was so loud and the venue was small. He still brought out his full live rig for a room that maybe fit 100 people. 2 Marshall full stacks, a Marshall stack with a HiWatt on it, a Fender Twin Reverb and I think a Tweed Deluxe or something like that too. Deafening. Lou's rig was massive too. Marshall stack, Ampeg stack and I think a Peavey Centurion or Bass 400 with another 2x12.

At the festival they played You're Living All Over Me in it's entirety, which was awesome. They really captured the sound live and there were muffs and rangemasters, al sorts of shit happening and it sounded great.
Olin wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:This Corgan guy sounds like a real soy boy to me...

Someone please send this to Billy every day until all his pent-up rage erupts, his head turns to actual chrome and he engages his final form: Ultimo-Corgon, where he finally starts to hate fuck every skyscraper in Japan demanding an explanation, weeping tears of mercury down on the innocent bystanders below while proclaiming to be the greatest musician of all time, including the future.
xrleroyx

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:56 am

I've gotta catch up with the suggestions on this thread. It's a great discussion and I really like everyone's interpretation of the question. Even if it's not what I meant it's still super interesting and good to ponder.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby lost in music » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:15 am

The song that really woke me up to fuzz is a great example of this, Power + Light by 50 Foot Wave. I don't know if it totally counts as a song, because it's a 25 minute continuous EP with distinct movements. I posted Kristin Hersh's pedal chain from the recording session on the celebrity pedalboards thread before. It's nuts and makes me want to toss out my Pedal Train and just throw all my shit all over the room.

There's a lot going on there and not everything I can identify, but in fuzz/dirt terms includes at the least a bee baa, a tube sound fuzz AND an camel toe, a small round japanese pedal that I think somebody once identified to me as a companion clone, and a zvex probe. I dunno, there more be more shit there. You tell me.

The song is available for free here and if you like they take donations elsewhere on their site.

Listening back now for the first time in years, the dominant sounds on the record are more gritty overdrive but there are definitely some places where the fuzz takes over. It's like a sonic quilt (made out of lava, gravel, ...).
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby shikawkee » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:21 am

Getting yourself a decent Rangemaster is the first step in solving the fuzz puzzle IMO.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Local H would fit the bill. Not so much on record, but definitely live

JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear