2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Postby echorec » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Ditto Jam X2 Looper is the tightest, wettest rhythm guitarist you'll ever encounter! Every time you plug in is like prom night.

I feel like they're trying to tell me something with that ad copy, but I just don't know what. :?:

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:32 pm

echorec wrote:

That has excellent potential for abuse. :excellent:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:15 pm

So, a pedal that uses some kind of machine algorithm to listen to what you’re playing and mathematically find the beat is simpler than adding a MIDI sync option to a simple looper?

OK

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Then when it won’t sync it’s not an issue with the pedal, it’s an issue with your drummer. :lol:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm

THE PEDAL IS ALWAYS RIGHT

HUMAN DRUMMER IS ALWAYS WRONG

HUMAN DRUMMER MUST CONFORM TO PEDAL

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Ableton has been able to do this for a while, proving once again, computers are superior. All hail master bots!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:39 pm

I’M READY FOR THE SINGULARITY.

I’M READY TO WORSHIP AT THE ALTER OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

RECOMMEND ME MY LIFE, MIGHTY RECOMMENDER SYSTEM FROM AMAZON

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:16 pm

01010111 wrote:So, a pedal that uses some kind of machine algorithm to listen to what you’re playing and mathematically find the beat is simpler than adding a MIDI sync option to a simple looper?

OK

Its explicitly designed to not require a fixed midi clock or require the band to play to a click. I wonder if it is time stretching or compressing the loops in a very marginal way.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 pm

I'd bet its time stretching in a similar way to ableton, as DRodriguez mentioned.

The fact that they never let you hear the loops on their own – you always hear the guitarist layering over the loops – makes me thing that there's some of the same annoying stretch artifacts as ableton. Even so, it seems pretty cool tbh.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am

unless they totally revolutionized the technology, these types of things always have a hard time catching the beat unless its like a simple 4 on the floor w/o much else going on.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:06 am

I'd only be interested in it to see how much I can make it glitch out, other than that it seems like a waste.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:20 pm

https://www.facebook.com/DIMEHEAD/posts ... 4854838706

I can't wait until this becomes unobtanium. :whateva:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby 01010111 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:
01010111 wrote:So, a pedal that uses some kind of machine algorithm to listen to what you’re playing and mathematically find the beat is simpler than adding a MIDI sync option to a simple looper?

OK

Its explicitly designed to not require a fixed midi clock or require the band to play to a click. I wonder if it is time stretching or compressing the loops in a very marginal way.

It only works if the band can ignore the timing of the loop, the person who’s controlling the loop can follow the band and ignore the loop timing, and the person controlling the looper never stops playing so the loop is always in sync

That sounds much more complicated than syncing with an external midi clock to me :idk:

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:56 pm

01010111 wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:

OK

It only works if the band can ignore the timing of the loop, the person who’s controlling the loop can follow the band and ignore the loop timing, and the person controlling the looper never stops playing so the loop is always in sync

That sounds much more complicated than syncing with an external midi clock to me :idk:

Have you ever looped with a band? The things you're saying have to be done consciously are the things that naturally happen when people play music together. Tempos drift naturally. Our hearing tends to focus on a single reference rather than struggling to decide between a looper and a live drummer. If this works it would just make the looper part a non-issue. If you practice and are well-versed in using loopers anyway then the pedal shouldn't have to do that much work.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:22 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:
01010111 wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:

OK

Have you ever looped with a band? The things you're saying have to be done consciously are the things that naturally happen when people play music together. Tempos drift naturally. Our hearing tends to focus on a single reference rather than struggling to decide between a looper and a live drummer. If this works it would just make the looper part a non-issue. If you practice and are well-versed in using loopers anyway then the pedal shouldn't have to do that much work.

Whenever I’ve used a looper with other people, we end up ignoring looper because it’s too difficult to keep everyone on tempo with the looper.

I guess this has a built-in mic? So, I guess it’ll keep changing the tempo even if you’re not playing. Though, I guess you’re fucked if the audience tries to clap along

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear