2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Postby echorec » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Moog is working on a new synth with a radically different UI than previous Moogs. Speculation has jumped from a hardware Animoog to a Voyager with a touch interface. All that's really known is that it will use the JUCE platform. Since Moog allowed them to talk about the ongoing project, I would imagine that the general public will see it soon, as Winter NAMM is 50 days away.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... different/

In their presentation, Bevin and Gaynes are careful not to reveal anything about the upcoming Moog synthesizer hardware that they’re working on.

But they talk specifically about creating a user interface for a hardware synth; using shallow navigation in hardware UI’s; examples of devices, like NI’s Maschine, that combine knobs with rich graphical UI’s; and when to use dedicated hardware controls.

All of which suggests that Moog is working on a new synthesizer that will look very different than its predecessors.

Korg reps have discussed the impending announcement of a new synth for NAMM on multiple podcasts. (briefly mentioned in a few threads) I think the general speculation is hybrid synth with a few new wrinkles. (digital with analog filtering) Although several people are hoping for a 'Maxilogue'.

https://ask.audio/articles/korg-working ... -namm-2018

The new synth is supposed to bring something new to the game. Of course all synths bring something new, but KORG is teasing at something akin to "mind blowing". The name will be eight letters long, start with the letter "P", and apparently will have numbers in it as well. Some are guessing it might be a Poly8000. That could imply a more-than-4-voice poly digital analog hybrid.

Miscellaneous scheduled presentations-- http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... namm-show/

Joel has been in the UK for the past week, so perhaps he is doing some advanced promotional work. :thumb:

https://www.instagram.com/chaseblissaudio/

I can't find the words to describe these last couple days. All sorts of feels in all the directions. I can't wait to show you guys what we're up to over here. @realworldstudios is a dream.

Alexander Pedals is also teasing a new project.

https://www.instagram.com/alexanderpedals/?hl=en

Last edited by echorec on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: A few NAMM nuggets

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Aren't "NAMM nuggets" the term used for promotional marijuana giveaways from large musical gear manufacturers?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby reckon luck » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Eventide teased a new pedal/platform a while back, maybe we'll see it at NAMM?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOW3oGnlbcg
reckon luck

committed
committed

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Honestly, with the H9000 going on, I hardly doubt they will be working on something else for a while.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope to see drum machines that are not $1000 nor the size of a notebook.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:33 pm

tremolo3 wrote:I hope to see drum machines that are not $1000 nor the size of a notebook.

I hope we see at least one drum machine, that is the size of a notebook. Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the CR-78's initial launch. I would love to see a boutique CR-78 with MIDI and storable presets. A vintage 78 runs about $1,200 and lacks both of these options.

I have a 68, which has the same sound banks, but it doesn't have as many triggering options. It's a really amazing sounding drum machine, especially with some reverb and delay. The overall sound character is much cleaner and inspiring than something like the Mini Pops series or the SR-95 & SR-120.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby infamousalien » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm hoping for polyphonic analog synths from both Moog and Korg. Probably not but I can dream. :idk:
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

Postby Dapper Bandit » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:30 pm

I was very interested in that Eventide as well, from the video it sounded like a glitch / granulol pedal? The new housing design is also interesting, could that signify something deeper? Maybe a new series of less advenurous, slightly mid-boosted algorithms? Plenty of room to put a cross on it for P&W $$. Add the little man to the cross for a 16-hit profit combo!
Bringing Brought the noise in Whitechapel Murders
Bandcamp
Facebook
Dapper Bandit

committed
committed

Postby Faldoe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 pm

I wish Eventide would release like an Pitchfactor with tracking that surpasses the EHX family/digitech whammy V and then some.

Not necessarily a PF2 but something like the H9 with more processing power or whatever is needed for better tracking algorithms. Like close to the expensive rack stuff.
Faldoe

Postby raj007 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Anyone think other pedal companies will jump into Eurorack with a module or two in their lineup?
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

D.o.S wrote:Whenever I step on my tuner the shitty guitar playing stops.
raj007

experienced
experienced

Postby mamsk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 pm

that's some fun synth news. just to piggyback, anyone who's had a sub37 for a good amount of time, you still digging it? finally gonna dip in soon now that the tribute editions can be found for <$1k
mamsk

involved
involved

Postby Jwar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:17 pm

raj007 wrote:Anyone think other pedal companies will jump into Eurorack with a module or two in their lineup?

There's been a lot of those this year. I bet anything we'll see more soon.

I really would like to go to NAMM. Anyone have a ticket/floor I can crazh on?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby echorec » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:49 pm

mamsk wrote:anyone who's had a sub37 for a good amount of time, you still digging it? finally gonna dip in soon now that the tribute editions can be found for <$1k

Mine has been with me for about a year now, and we still hang out. In terms of just pure sound architecture, I prefer the 37 to the P~6. Poly is ideal for pads, but for weird sound fx and complex laboratory sounds, the 37 is a lot of fun. The factory presets weren't bad, so I've kept many of them as a launching point for making my own banks. Yes, you can conjure up some retro fast leads with it, but for me it's more of a cinematic powerhouse than anything. The 37 is definitely the most aggressive Moog and in many ways it feels like a kind of time capsule (a marriage of the 1970s and 2010s). It's great for sci-fi sounds, drones, and gritty analog textures. Much of the time I avoid pedals with it, because it sounds great on its own, but since acquiring an Adineko, I've been going Moog > Adineko > delay.

This is a decent demo for showcasing what it can do, and in many ways I think the 37 is a practical alternative to going modular. You can get rich harmonic sounds, drones, sequences, and more, without spending weeks or months trying to get there. It's also easy to edit and organize your own sounds, so you're able to revisit and tweak your own creations as often as you like.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Olin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:29 pm

Really hoping EHX announce their new looper finally.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mamsk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

echorec wrote:
mamsk wrote:anyone who's had a sub37 for a good amount of time, you still digging it? finally gonna dip in soon now that the tribute editions can be found for <$1k

Mine has been with me for about a year now, and we still hang out. In terms of just pure sound architecture, I prefer the 37 to the P~6. Poly is ideal for pads, but for weird sound fx and complex laboratory sounds, the 37 is a lot of fun. The factory presets weren't bad, so I've kept many of them as a launching point for making my own banks. Yes, you can conjure up some retro fast leads with it, but for me it's more of a cinematic powerhouse than anything. The 37 is definitely the most aggressive Moog and in many ways it feels like a kind of time capsule (a marriage of the 1970s and 2010s). It's great for sci-fi sounds, drones, and gritty analog textures. Much of the time I avoid pedals with it, because it sounds great on its own, but since acquiring an Adineko, I've been going Moog > Adineko > delay.

This is a decent demo for showcasing what it can do, and in many ways I think the 37 is a practical alternative to going modular. You can get rich harmonic sounds, drones, sequences, and more, without spending weeks or months trying to get there. It's also easy to edit and organize your own sounds, so you're able to revisit and tweak your own creations as often as you like.

thanks so much for your thoughts, definitely gonna pull the trigger
mamsk

involved
involved

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 pm

echorec wrote:
tremolo3 wrote:I hope to see drum machines that are not $1000 nor the size of a notebook.

I hope we see at least one drum machine, that is the size of a notebook. Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the CR-78's initial launch. I would love to see a boutique CR-78 with MIDI and storable presets. A vintage 78 runs about $1,200 and lacks both of these options.

I have a 68, which has the same sound banks, but it doesn't have as many triggering options. It's a really amazing sounding drum machine, especially with some reverb and delay. The overall sound character is much cleaner and inspiring than something like the Mini Pops series or the SR-95 & SR-120.

A boutique CR-78 would OWN
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear