2018 releases (NAMM, Superbooth, Musikmesse)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Winter NAMM / 2018 notes

Postby codetocontra » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:41 am

Are you saying the Thicken is a... downer?
:cool:
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

jrfox92 wrote:So...it's a mono Strymon Deco?

I would figure more like a mono DIG. (Deco doesn't do multi-tap, just doubling, right?) But why mono? The most fun you can have with multi-tap delays is in stereo.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:18 am

The Wire sound was born out of diming out MXR pedals. For people looking for an ADT/studio pedal, there's going to be a lot of disappointment and rapid turnover. The Thickener seems more akin to a Sea Machine or an Ibanez DML than a Strymon Deco, Keeley 30MS, or a TC Mimiq. For someone seeking out atypically inorganic and metallic guitar tones, I think this will be much more appreciated.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby harpies » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

Thickener might be able to do more subtle, ala mimiq. Mimiq is way too subtle, even in stereo.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:14 pm

harpies wrote:Thickener might be able to do more subtle, ala mimiq. Mimiq is way too subtle, even in stereo.

Are you running a lot of other effects with it? Maybe with a heavy dose of dirt or a wall of reverb, I could imagine it being somewhat negated. In a setup of 3-5 pedals, though, signals tend to shrink when it's deactivated. I pair the Mimiq with multi-head delays, and if I disengage the Mimiq, it's impossible not to notice its absence.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:12 pm

The Mimiq is going to be most noticeable with otherwise dry distorted guitar. Once you start adding layers of delay lines or reverb you already have signal stacking that makes faux double tracking less apparent.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby harpies » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 pm

I’ve tried the mimiq with and without a chain, with just od, in stereo, etc. even with all controls maxed, it sounds subtle. I can definitely hear it on vs off, but it’s just not enough that anyone in a venue would notice. Thickener sounds extreme but could prob dial back and be less 80s.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby harpies » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 pm

But I won’t jump on the thickener until I get some feedback on it. I had the Charlie Foxtrot and when turned on my dry sound was significantly quieter. Cool pedal but that bit ruined it for me.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:The Mimiq is going to be most noticeable with otherwise dry distorted guitar. Once you start adding layers of delay lines or reverb you already have signal stacking that makes faux double tracking less apparent.

Perhaps, but if the goal is overall girth/mass, then the Mimiq can serve as more than a faux doubler. I use it to fill out sounds and add a lot of body to signals.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Moog has an upcoming synth build/test run at their annual fest (via their mailing list):
Moog wrote:Get the most out of Moogfest with the Engineer Pass, a special ticket that provides VIP access to the festival and the unique opportunity to work alongside Moog Music Engineers during a two-day synth-building workshop. This behind-the-scenes experience gives you the opportunity to engage Moog engineers while gaining insight into the art of electronic design.

This year’s workshop will build the Sub-Harmonicon, a brand-new electronic instrument inspired by the Trautonium, the Rythmicon, and the Schillinger System. It is a semi-modular harmonic kaleidoscope that divides into itself until everything that is up becomes down.

With the Engineer VIP Pass, you’re delving into synthesis at the foundational level—and you come away with your own limited-edition, unreleased Moog synthesizer, hand-built by you.

Not only does it grant you exclusive access to a premium workshop, it opens all doors to other Moogfest 2018 activities.

This means:
• VIP Access to all events and exclusive areas.
• Complimentary food and beverage in select areas.
• Prioritized access to workshop registration.
• Access to a dedicated Festival Concierge who organizes your Engineer class schedule and is available for any questions you have may have.
• A custom embroidered patch patch representing the 2018 Engineer Workshop class.

The 2018 Engineer Pass is extremely limited in number and will only be available while supplies last.

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Dreadbox has teased a new pic of the Medusa, but it has changed significantly since its last mockup. Now it has a sequencer courtesy of Polyend, which seems to suggest it's no longer monophonic. One poster on Synthtopia suggests that it will handle 4-voices and the grid section will do more than just sequence notes. This looks like the first Dreadbox product with onboard settings recall----but will it save sound settings or just sequences?

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:33 pm

echorec wrote:Dreadbox has teased a new pic of the Medusa, but it has changed significantly since its last mockup. Now it has a sequencer courtesy of Polyend, which seems to suggest it's no longer monophonic. One poster on Synthtopia suggests that it will handle 4-voices and the grid section will do more than just sequence notes. This looks like the first Dreadbox product with onboard settings recall----but will it save sound settings or just sequences?

Well that thing looks really nice :drool:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear