ECG Steels Brent Hinds design? (Drugs are bad)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

ECG Steels Brent Hinds design? (Drugs are bad)

Postby Jwar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 pm

So Brent from Mastodon is claiming that Electronic Guitar Company stole his design and reproduced it for many, many people. I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, if it was a one off, I think it's fucked up that they do it. On the other hand, it's a fucking fly v, so like, who gives a shit?

What are you thoughts?

Yea yea, Wrong sub forum. Eat me.

Last edited by Jwar on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Re: ECG Steals Brent Hinds design?

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 pm

As far as rants go, that's pretty weak. That was a semi-coherent, run-on sentence, where meat was used as a verb. Did he not have two minutes to insert a couple of periods? Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can only get behind rage if there's been the slightest of fucks shown for conventional sentence structure.

*edit* (-) removed
Last edited by echorec on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:23 pm

yeah that's hard to follow. i get his sentiments. but ecg is digging its own grave like emperor and green amps did anyways.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Is "Meat People" taken as a band name yet?

Oh, and I would agree with this if the comma before "if" were removed:
echorec wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can only get behind rage, if there's been the slightest of fucks shown for conventional sentence structure.

That just fucks with my grammar feng shui.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby systemofameow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Criticizing someone's grammar seems petty and bourgeois to me, like making fun of someone who can't speak perfect English.

That being said, I think it would have been nice if EGC had reached out to Hinds to tell him they liked his design and wanted to market it more. I dunno how I feel about it outside of that, seems like a weird situation for sure.
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:39 pm

systemofameow wrote:Criticizing someone's grammar seems petty and bourgeois to me, like making fun of someone who can't speak perfect English.

That being said, I think it would have been nice if EGC had reached out to Hinds to tell him they liked his design and wanted to market it more. I dunno how I feel about it outside of that, seems like a weird situation for sure.

this seems pretty reasonable. it is just a flying v after all so maybe he's getting a little too riled up about it. at the same time it's not like it's a "signature" guitar. kind of on some bullshit there. sucks for real if people are paying way less than he did. maybe kevin hates mastodong?

SPOILER : show
for fans of mastodon
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:07 pm

systemofameow wrote:Criticizing someone's grammar seems petty and bourgeois to me, like making fun of someone who can't speak perfect English.

"I dunno how I feel about it." Have you not gotten to that part of Marxism yet? Don't worry. Freshman year is always the worst.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:it's a fucking fly v, so like, who gives a shit?

odontophobia wrote:it is just a flying v after all so maybe he's getting a little too riled up about it

Last edited by Mudfuzz on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby HeavyXIII » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:20 pm

The way I see it, unless there was some contractual agreement between Brent and EGC before they started producing them, he doesn't have a lot of room to complain. I've been under the impression that "signature" models usually cost the musician next to nothing, in exchange for being able to license the guitar as theirs to sell to the general public.

It definitely sucks that Brent spent more on his than regular customers do, but he's had that guitar for several years (since I saw them at a festival, anyway) and I find it odd that he's just now complaining about this. I wouldn't be surprised if EGC's facility has been upgraded since he bought it, bringing some of their overall costs down. I haven't seen Buzz Osborne or Scott Kelly complaining. :idk:
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby adamajah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:22 pm

he paid more bc it was a one off custom job at the time. and more power to EGC for being a small-ish guitar company making revenue to continue being a small-ish guitar company. also i know nothing about EGC really.

also funny bc didn't bill from mastodon have echopark make him a custom reverse firebird, and then went and cloned it with esp to be his ltd signature model? pissed off the echopark dude but then he took down his ig rant bc he realized it was a gibson design anyways. it's all dummm... haha :p
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Did Brent come up with the arm cutaway? the pickguard shape? or just the idea of mixed a V with a Dan Armstrong?
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Is "Meat People" taken as a band name yet?

Oh, and I would agree with this if the comma before "if" were removed:
echorec wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can only get behind rage, if there's been the slightest of fucks shown for conventional sentence structure.

That just fucks with my grammar feng shui.

Since if was in the subordinate clause and not in the introductory clause, I accept your assessment to be valid, sir. ಠ_ರೃ

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can only get behind rage if there's been the slightest of fucks shown for conventional sentence structure.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:26 pm

adamajah wrote:he paid more bc it was a one off custom job at the time.

Hell some people use to pay extra for lampshades that were custom to the point where the maker would never reduplicate it.. I sure there are plenty of people that feel that way about guitars.. and ball gowns...
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Mudfuzz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Gone Fission wrote:"Meat People"

Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Is "Meat People" taken as a band name yet?

I want to go to a festival where Meat People and Local Milk People are both playing. :rock:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear