better reverb than the hof mini, but still mini sized.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

better reverb than the hof mini, but still mini sized.

Postby waltdogg » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:16 pm

hit me with what you like. i'd prefer to keep it mini sized, but if you got something amazing to suggest, feel free. simple is always better since i use reverb as a subtle, always-on effect and only crank it for ridiculousness. which are basically the only two usable settings on the hof mini for me, so if i could get something with more usable range than that would be great :lol:
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: better reverb than the hof mini, but still mini sized.

Postby ratrod » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Malekko Spring?

What's wrong with the HoF Mini?

EHX Holy Grail Nano isn't mini but it rules and is pretty darn small.
ratrod

committed
committed

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 pm

waltdogg wrote:i use reverb as a subtle, always-on effect and only crank it for ridiculousness.

What about something like a Keeley Gold Star? That is simple, but with the ability to get into some more in-your-face territory.

Or what about 2 mini delays working in combination for a reverb-like effect (Hotone Eko, Mooner Ana Echo, among others). With the mix and times rolled back, you could get a nice underlying texture.

If you're wanting to use verb for just a bit of body, I would also suggest trying something like a Catalinbread Adineko. It can give you a more haunted drone-like warble with everything dialed up, or if you roll things back, it functions more like a 50s studio slapback. I bought one for a friend, who was into garage punk/60s MOD stuff, and he really liked it. Good luck, Walt.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Some dudes seem pretty fond of the Dunk Tank?
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 pm

i like these suggestions.

welp the problem with the hof mini was as i described in my first post. since that shit has a single knob i can only find a stupidly low setting for a subtle-ish always-on reverb that is right between too much and just not enough. while the maximum setting is okay for ridiculousness but not great.

i was literally not able to get the toneprint ios app to work until today, i tested a whole bunch of different presets. couldn't find anything i liked all that much. the lofi preset from tc themselves was okay. if i can find a usb cable that works i can try editing the pedal settings myself.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gnomethrone » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Yeah the mini hof really suffers from not having more knobs to twist. I think the interesting toneprints are the ones that assign other stuff to knobs like compression and modulation. If you get the editor going it's possible to assign multiple parameters to your one knob so you could start with a subtle reverb you like with the level low and then as you crank it bring in other weirdness. I made a couple like that for my T2 but nothing I actually ended up using. Mostly wasted lots of time dragging things around in the editor. Its kinda fun to see how fucked up a verb you can make though. Lots of things use that size USB cable so it shouldn't be too tough to find: playstation controllers, bluetooth speakers, all kinds of crap.
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Have you checked out that lil Mooer Skyverb?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:20 am

gnomethrone wrote:Yeah the mini hof really suffers from not having more knobs to twist. I think the interesting toneprints are the ones that assign other stuff to knobs like compression and modulation. If you get the editor going it's possible to assign multiple parameters to your one knob so you could start with a subtle reverb you like with the level low and then as you crank it bring in other weirdness. I made a couple like that for my T2 but nothing I actually ended up using. Mostly wasted lots of time dragging things around in the editor. Its kinda fun to see how fucked up a verb you can make though. Lots of things use that size USB cable so it shouldn't be too tough to find: playstation controllers, bluetooth speakers, all kinds of crap.

pretty much. yeah, i figure it's worth a shot to use the editor. i have one of those usb cables on hand but it doesn't work. so i'm looking around for another one. if it works great and i can make a toneprint i like, great, if not. whatever.

foomanfat wrote:Have you checked out that lil Mooer Skyverb?

nope. i like how it has a bit more control and is still mini. i also like how it could make half my pedal board blue and the other half grey/white. definitely considering the malekko and mellowtone as well.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 am

There’s a tooooon of sounds in that editor. Otherwise, Dr Sci Mini Reverberator?
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:21 pm

HOF is a big fish in the mini pond. I like the Xvive Maxverb, but whenever I mention it people are like pfffft. Valeton Coral Verb may well be the worst verb I've ever played--genuinely useful when you want your guitar to come on like a bum fight in a dumpster. Some of the Mooer algorithms sound decent; others not so much--grain and clang abound. I vote somebody smart builds a mini to kill the HOF, until then King HOF is the regent with low approval ratings.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Dandolin wrote:HOF is a big fish in the mini pond. I like the Xvive Maxverb, but whenever I mention it people are like pfffft. Valeton Coral Verb may well be the worst verb I've ever played--genuinely useful when you want your guitar to come on like a bum fight in a dumpster. Some of the Mooer algorithms sound decent; others not so much--grain and clang abound. I vote somebody smart builds a mini to kill the HOF, until then King HOF is the regent with low approval ratings.

:lol:

but if you're serious. i agree.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 pm

:lol: I ate a lot of meat in the last 36 hours; not sure how much serious I can sell....

Adineko is a bucket full of win, but not sure if scratches the itch of the one dreamscheming an always-on or subtle ambience. I find it sounds best when given some rein to take over your sound. When I try to rein it in, it holes up. Also, easy on that viscosity knob hoss; shit launches from Surfswamis to 158th Floor Elevators as fast as you can say white lightning....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 am

i think i should just get a working usb cable and actually fuck with the editor for the hof. i forgot how tight on money i am right now. fucking bills and debts. at least they're all consolidated and i'm making regular payments.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:09 am

Yeah, with the editor, theoretically you can map the knob with low mix, low or no mod, dark/bright what have you at minimum on the knob with a blown out international warble station at the max and some other stuff in between, or binary, or what have you....
Last edited by Dandolin on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:53 am

the SCIENCE of reverb! i’m actually getting super pumped now on getting a working usb cable.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear