Flying with synths

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Flying with synths

Postby chamberpain » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am

In a couple of weeks, I'll be flying out to an isolated area for some school pertaining to my work. I was thinking of taking my 0-coast, SQ-1, and ipad to keep me creating during my down time. Has anyone flown with a similar setup? Is this a disaster when it comes to security? I don't have a hard case for any of it, and was planning to take them in my carry on.
http://bastardsonsofajudasgoat.bandcamp.com

Successful transactions with Casavettes~Helter~Derelict78~ooop~DannDubbleEwe~WORMDIRT~space6oy~sergiomunoz74~duckworship~blakestree~doommeow
chamberpain

committed
committed

Re: Flying with synths

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 pm

You'll be fine, just put it out in a separate bin for security (just like a laptop). Have flown with both an 0Coast and pedals/small synths carry on with no questions asked.

My 3U Euro (in a bento box) got the "what is it "question but "musical instrument" was enough of an answer to avoid additional security.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chamberpain » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear! I was becoming increasingly paranoid as the time draws near.

Successful transactions with Casavettes~Helter~Derelict78~ooop~DannDubbleEwe~WORMDIRT~space6oy~sergiomunoz74~duckworship~blakestree~doommeow
chamberpain

committed
committed

Postby chrisdermo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Same, I've flown with a tonne of weird looking stuff in my hand luggage. Zoom R16, tetrax, double knot, mengqi voltage memory, drone commander, kaoss pad, digital pedals with screens, mini-mixers, Korg SQ1, volcas, bugbrand weevils, also including an insane amount of rechargeable 9Vs, AA's and lithium batteries. Only been to/from the US with it and within europe but a separate bin for baggage check as D.O.S. says and it's all good! Actually San Fran airport staff told me not to bother taking any of it out of my bag as they could scan it all anyway.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby purpleshoes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 am

yeah definitely just put it in it's own plastic bin thing when you go thru security, it'll be fine. I've flown with synths/recording gear all over the place and the only time I got stopped was when I forgot to take my microphones and interface out of my backpack, the security guys had no idea what it was and I had to stand there explaining for 10 mins that no it's not some fancy cyber weapon, I'm a recording engineer/musician and these are my work tools.
purpleshoes

interested
interested

Postby Davin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Last time I flew I got pulled out to open my luggage. They were concerned about what looked like a pair of shoes filled with rocks but weren't sure what exactly it was. It was a pair of shoes filled with rocks I had picked up in the Moroccan desert. We had a laugh and I caught my connecting flight.
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby 01010111 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Defintely pull it out like DOS said. I’ve flown with gear a lot, and if you don’t pull it out you’ll almost definitely get stopped.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chamberpain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 pm

vidret wrote:Image

Best reply ever!

Thanks all for all the advice and vote of confidence. :group: I'm excited to have some quiet down time to commit to some synthy goodness.

chamberpain

committed
committed

Return to General Gear