What next piece of gear would you suggest me ?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What next piece of gear would you suggest me ?

Postby fcknoise » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Waldorf blofeld is a good synth though right? To that setup I'd add a nice sampler or drummachine. What springs to mind is an elektron digitakt or a used mk1 octatrack. Especially the second one is awesome for glitchy and lofi stuff. Obviously you say you can do this stuff in ableton, but I don't know ableton that well so I don't know if it's a smooth process or just super annoying and time consuming. If I was you I'd go for an octatrack. It's a bit above budget, but save a couple hundy more, I've seen local ones for 750€, and I expect the US to be cheaper. Maybe it's way too much anyway and I'm just suggesting it because I really want one myself.

Other suggestions that you might like or might hate:

Cassette recorder: record cassettes, make tape loops, use as an effect. It's fun and cheap!

Microgranny: I recommend this to everyone, but everyone should have one. They are amazing.

Roland boutique series maybe? They are in your price range, and have built in sequencers so you can play your Waldorf or guitar while they go off.

Bastl Kastle: Super noise little mini modular synth? Could be interesting, usually sounds great with a drum machine (according to videos, I want one but am staying pedge for santa)

Bastl Softpop: also a noisy synth but better than the above mentioned one. Looks cool if you are into this stuff.

Volca sample: it is good for the price, but I would maybe suggest a different sampler since you have 600€ to blow.

Novation Circuit: Idk if it's your jam but some people really use it well

Teenage engineering OP-Z: we don't know the price of it yet, but I think it's gonna be cheaper than the OP-1 and hopefully in the 600€ area. Maybe hold out for that? :idk:
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Brands, the Blofeld is an excellent synth...but it's not a rude mean machine. While there is a filter on the Blofeld (which I believe you can bypass?) the sounds it excels in are from modulating the Wavetable and getting interesting harmonic content from evolving waves. I know you can get some digital harshness from the Blofeld but it really excels are expansive tones, bells, and other. Not sounds from the subtractive synth paradigm/vernacular (again, I know there is a filter so it is subtractive). In short, you're not going to be making any funky electro on the Blofeld or bump'in baselines. I'm kind of generalizing here.

Echo'ing Brands on Microgranny, Cassettes (cheaper the better; I literally found a bunch of my tape decks), and cheap sampler. The Softpop is basically in MS_20_mini territory price wise so I would avoid (never had one though; I do have a BitRanger which I enjoy).

Also, Brands, from the equipment in your lexicon => You forgot the Pocket Operators!
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:33 pm

I love pocket operators, I just didn't think it was what he'd be into :p

I get what you mean about the blofeld tho. I was just thinking pads+drum machine+sampler+some effects to do those genres he talked about. A mono synth with that is probs what I was missing haha. Echoing the MS-20 mini sentiment for that.

(But also honestly look at the 0-coast for that too. It's a fucking beast monosynth as well as everything else)

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm

I kind of hate the 0 Coast as a straight monosynth even though I love it as a piece of gear.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Well, me and vid compared it to a microbrute and it sounded dope. It def is different to other ministry's ive heard but it has plenty of lows and shit.

And monosynths are for people who can play instruments anyways so

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby greyscales » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 pm

Definitely wouldn't recommend the 0-coast as a first choice in this situation. It is a great piece of equipment but is far from the best choice for a traditional (read east coast) mono. If you're looking to get into modular or more west coast-style synthesis it is awesome. But it also doesn't fit a lot of the needs it sounds like JTurbide is trying to fulfill. Especially since it would need a midi keyboard or sequencer, which is going to push it out of his price range.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to General Gear