Recommendations for fuzz with mids?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Recommendations for fuzz with mids?

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:40 pm

catfuzz wrote:Any Fuzzhugger in particular? Our other guitarist uses an algal bloom, so I wouldn't want to be fighting over the same frequencies. I have had the Sonic Shroom or Bloom on my want list for a long time now though.

I have an Algal Bloom and a Velcrobot. I love them both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Velcrobot. Aside from the extra fun of the robot function, it handles lows better than the AB.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Sonic shroom is rad, so I'd imagine the sonic bloom would be too. Doom bloom is fantastic and y'all would cover different frequencies.
Last edited by DRodriguez on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm

fOXX Tone Machine :poke:
I tend to prefer adding a mid boost/mid-boosted drive pre-fuzz and leaving the fuzz as flat as I can get it, myself.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby halkaloogie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Not really a fuzz recommendation, but I recently got a Fuzzrocious Feed Me EQ and it is amazing for dialing in the tone of my fuzz's I've mainly been using it as an EQ shift for a rat, but it works really well after a fuzz to help push it through the mix. If you like the sound of the Fuzz you have but just want to be heard in a mix I highly recommend it. Also it doesn't have the hum of most graphic EQ's which is nice.
halkaloogie

interested
interested

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Sonic shroom is rad, so I'd imagine the sonic shroom would be too.

:poke:
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Pete wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:Sonic shroom is rad, so I'd imagine the sonic bloom would be too.

:lol: Better?

I just really love the sonic shroom I guess.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:36 pm

I know you are looking for a fuzz but Earthbound Audio Throat Locust.

I personally stopped trying to coax the mids I want out of fuzz and use fuzz for what it is best at. Not saying there is not an option out there, but its so much easier to get a scuzzy/fuzzy mids boosted sound out of a distortion box than a fuzz box.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Pete » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:51 pm

DRodriguez wrote:
Pete wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:Sonic shroom is rad, so I'd imagine the sonic bloom would be too.

:lol: Better?

I just really love the sonic shroom I guess.

:thumb:
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby catfuzz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Hmmm shit tons to consider. Guess I'll just have to try as many of these options as I can eventually. :snax:

I really do like the idea of using a heavy distortion with a full range EQ like the Throat Locust as a "fuzz" though. I can't remember if the first distortion I used was an HM-2 or Turbo Rat, but I really loved them both. Going back to an HM-2 but with more everything definitely couldn't hurt.

I definitely know a few people who use the Feed Me as well, but as much as I like the Pelitaur I've just got an itch to try new things and experiment until I find something that is just right. Also I'm clumsy as all hell and don't want to have to step on two switches when I could just do one. :p

I'll also definitely get a sonic shroom someday... or maybe even a sonic shroom. I just can't resist anything with a second switch to mangle the signal. Also the art on it (and really every current fuzzhugger pedal) is incredible.
hbombgraphics wrote:Good Luck on your quest: It's a different value but this is exactly why I got rid of my VHS Copy of wayne's world about 20 years ago.
catfuzz

involved
involved

Postby Jwar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 am

Aonys! Wait...I never made it. :(
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Pete » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:09 am

catfuzz wrote:I'll also definitely get a sonic shroom someday... or maybe even a sonic shroom.

Wait... Was that intentional? :lol:
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby lost in music » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 am

catfuzz wrote:Never really considered a fuzzface probably due to its odd shape, but you people have

I think this is the third or 4th message board I've seen the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face come up on this week! Must be something in the pattern of the stars. It is the same thing as the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz, which has a rectangular enclosure and a switchable buffer.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby lost in music » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 am

^ not saying this is what you want by the way. If your bandmate is using an Algal Bloom, that's also based on a silicon fuzz face. They're not the same thing, obvs, but there might be more overlap that you want.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby goroth » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:47 am

Sonically the algal is very different to a silicon fuzz face. I wouldn't worry about that.
Check out the Frazz though...
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby infamousalien » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 am

Tonebender MKIII/IV/Dizzy Tone/Buzzaround have good midrange. My favorite family of fuzz.
Last edited by infamousalien on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
infamousalien

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear