PHASE or FLANGE

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: FLANGE OR PHASE

Postby friendship » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
friendship wrote:What's the story with the Danelectro Psycho Flange btw did anyone figure out what's going on in that circuit?

Also I'm very attracted to the Rocktron Hypnotic because of its trance knob and wet blend, is it a bad garbage pedal?

Never tried a Psycho Flange & even if the Hypnotic is garbage, I'm sure there're still good sounds that'll come out of it. :idk:

I gotta know about the trance knob. None of the demos I can find play with it except for one--for about 25 seconds while some clipping is all over it. The manual says it "randomizes the [LFO]," but it also says "turning it clockwise increases the Feedback - Turning it counter-clockwise decreases the Feedback." I would assume they mean depth of the LFO randomization, but if that were true why would they say "feedback." Also, is it a sample & hold-style step randomizer, or a smooth one?

Completely contradicting that info is what David Lowmiller from Arkansas writing a Musician's Friend review said about the trance knob: "The hypnotic mode also adds a number of low-frequency oscillation patterns that change and morph as you turn the trance control. It's not a gradual effect that gets more intense or faster as you turn it clockwise, but rather a knob that cycles through different variations as you turn it."
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: PHASE or FLANGE

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:25 pm

Well, for about $50 from Reverb (perhaps even cheaper elsewhere?), you could find out for yourself. :poke:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby friendship » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm

no you do it
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:35 pm

:lol: :p You're the one that wants to know so bad. :idk: :poke: :poke:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby gnomethrone » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:40 pm

I have almost bought one of those hypnotic flangers a bunch of times but only because I want to know what the trance mode does and the internet just won't show me :lol:

Chankgeez: how do you feel about the maxon FL9? I know its not purple but I was using my friend's the other day and really liked it. Where does it sit in your pantheon of flange? (aka The Flangetheon)
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Where's it sit in the Flangetheon? (I like that. :lol: :thumb: )

Well, it's got four knobs. So, it's off to a good start. It also came from the 1980s. That's a plus as well.

I've got a reissue FL9. (I scored it super cheap. It's painted black.) Dig it. It's a solid flanger. Not the most versatile, but not the least. It's got a nice array of available sounds. Very good sounding overall. It's pretty high up there in the Flangetheon. :zen:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Maxon always makes solid stuff. It's never the most innovative, but I like ever pedal of theirs I own. The Vintage Jet Flange is great too.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby friendship » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Chankgeez wrote::lol: :p You're the one that wants to know so bad. :idk: :poke: :poke:

gnomethrone wrote:I have almost bought one of those hypnotic flangers a bunch of times but only because I want to know what the trance mode does and the internet just won't show me :lol:

So I wrote to Rocktron and they sent me the schematic for it in reply. I feel like it's poor form to post it publicly, but maybe someone who knows how to read them would want me to DM it over to them?
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm

My current wishlist includes the Digitech Nautila, anyone got any good reasons why I shouldn't buy one ?
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm

I've never played one but I can vouch that it looks awesome.

edit: it also looks like they're being cleared for $99 new
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm

friendship wrote:What's the story with the Danelectro Psycho Flange btw did anyone figure out what's going on in that circuit?

I've had a Psycho Flange for a long time. They're great if you're shooting for the sound of thick glass being scraped. They're atypically chunky and useless, if you want a tape flange sound.

Paul_C wrote:My current wishlist includes the Digitech Nautila, anyone got any good reasons why I shouldn't buy one ?

I didn't love it on synths, so it was shelved quite quickly. After I sold it, I gave it a final test, which was more pleasant. I guess it's OK as a utility pedal, if chorus & flange aren't your main staples. I just don't remember finding any 'wow' sounds.

My fav flangers have become a yellow Soundblox into a Strymon Orbit. I use them for weird sci-fi sounds, modulated throbs, and huge soundscapes.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 am

echorec wrote:

I've had a Psycho Flange for a long time. They're great if you're shooting for the sound of thick glass being scraped. They're atypically chunky and useless, if you want a tape flange sound.
s.

That sounds terriblecool.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:25 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:41 pm

I actually want the hell out of that
Lol
"Flanger Things: Designed by the Hawkins AV club, perfected in the upside-down. Grab some egos and check out this awesome pedal."
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:26 am

yes, that is awesome :love: :lol:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear