Recommend me a reverb

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Recommend me a reverb

Postby Woolworm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:03 pm

So I need a new reverb. EHX Cathedral lights failed, stops working here and there etc.

A few things that I would like but its okay if the one you recommend has none of these:

100% dry signal knob. Not a single mix knob, but two separate knobs for the dry signal and the reverb i.e. you can have 100% dry and 100% reverb at the same time rather 50/50, 75/25, etc. Most pedals don't have this which is a shame. I know the argument is the reverb volume will just take over your dry signal anyway, but I like having that underlying texture almost always like in a reverb plug in. I know the Blackout Effectors reverb and Walrus Audio Descent have this.

Would also prefer a three way EQ or a more sophisticated tone parameters rather than singular tone/dampen knobs but again, barely any pedal would have this.

Some sort of feedback parameter so it can self oscillate, but it may oscillate without a feedback knob present.

Been thinking about the Strymon BigSky, Im not gonna get one now cos of the price but the chorale preset alone, Im getting my hands on that no doubt eventually. Digitech Polara sounds sweet but can it self oscillate? Right now I think the Earthquaker Afterneath is in the driving seat atm. But the thing with reverbs, they're a lot like dirt pedals. You only really know when you try it for yourself.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Re: Recommend me a reverb

Postby spacelordmother » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 pm

If you’re interested in getting the Cathedral fixed it’s a $25 flat fee, unless it’s more for the larger pedals. Just have to call New Sensor customer service and they’ll get you all set up. Quick turnaround times too!

Still, more reverb is always good. :)*
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Woolworm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:17 pm

spacelordmother wrote:If you’re interested in getting the Cathedral fixed it’s a $25 flat fee, unless it’s more for the larger pedals. Just have to call New Sensor customer service and they’ll get you all set up. Quick turnaround times too!

Still, more reverb is always good. :)*

Already threw it out lol. Wanted to move away from it anyway.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby spacelordmother » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 pm

Dig it out and I’ll pay you shipping? :cry:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 pm

spacelordmother wrote:Dig it out and I’ll pay you shipping? :cry:

Will send jwar nudes
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 pm

You aren't going to get anything that oscillates that doesn't have the Belton Brick as far as I know. And all of those sacrifice on a lot of the conveniences of modern digital reverb. I've used a lot of reverbs and like "digital" smart reverbs the best. BigSky is really easy to use but a little overkill and a lot of the engines are similar. The Space is far and away the most interesting/inspiring reverb I've used, but it's not very user friendly in a live setting, imo of course.

No oscillation on either of those though. I'd maybe look into the RV500?
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby reckon luck » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Yeah, self oscillating reverb outside the belton brick isn't really a thing AFAIK. Fancy DSP algorithms generally make it a point to allow infinite holds, but not runaway feedback.
reckon luck

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 am

If you can afford to wait, Dr Scientist has a new reverb coming out in 2018. Not sure when but it will be his next pedal. The proto is 125B, top mount jacks, midi, a little LCD...
And it's guaranteed to do something interesting, because it's Dr Sci.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Olin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 am

goroth wrote:If you can afford to wait, Dr Scientist has a new reverb coming out in 2018. Not sure when but it will be his next pedal. The proto is 125B, top mount jacks, midi, a little LCD...
And it's guaranteed to do something interesting, because it's Dr Sci.

I haven't been excited about a pedal in a while now but boy is this doing it. Really hope it's the early side of 2018.

Anyway, the RM-1N has a good amount of the features you want, doesn't have a great eq section and you generally have to choose between trying to wade through honey or staring at the sun, but those are both pretty cool things to do.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:14 am

It's likely going to be compatible with the sonar based expression pedal Neil is developing as well...
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 am

It may be a different self-oscillation than you had in mind, but you might consider whatever Line 6 pedals have the Particle algorithm or the Zoom pedals with the emulation of it (MS-50, 70, and 100, maybe others). The Zooms also have a few Eventide effects-reverb emulations that might float your boat.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 am

goroth wrote:It's likely going to be compatible with the sonar based expression pedal Neil is developing as well...

Huh?!?
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 am

goroth wrote:It's likely going to be compatible with the bonar based expression pedal Neil is developing as well...

ftfy
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Woolworm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 am

ThurberMingus wrote:You aren't going to get anything that oscillates that doesn't have the Belton Brick as far as I know. And all of those sacrifice on a lot of the conveniences of modern digital reverb. I've used a lot of reverbs and like "digital" smart reverbs the best. BigSky is really easy to use but a little overkill and a lot of the engines are similar. The Space is far and away the most interesting/inspiring reverb I've used, but it's not very user friendly in a live setting, imo of course.

No oscillation on either of those though. I'd maybe look into the RV500?

The only Eventide I've tried was the pitch factor. Like wow, some super things in there you'll probs won't find anywhere else. The space probs no different.
Woolworm

committed
committed

Postby sylnau » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

Tne IE Nimbus has a clean and a reverb knob.
I never tried it... so I cannot tell you more.

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear