Fool's Gold

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The family that golds together, have stomach rolls forev

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 pm

actual wrote:Image

:love: In the wrong thread.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Re: Fool's Gold

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:23 pm

frodog wrote:And yes, SGs are really common, but luckily nobody else in my circle of friends have one. They're all Les Paul or misc Fenders. A friend of a friend has a standard, but he's actually in an AC/DC cover band.

Well, I have no musician friends so I'll probably end up with an SG anyway :lol:

Chankgeez wrote:
actual wrote:Image

:love: In the wrong thread.

Get with it geezer Image

I guess anything with a goldfoil could be in here, but this on deserves to be:

Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:16 pm

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:20 pm

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:33 pm

well shit

actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 pm

Those Minimoogs are gorgeous.

Here's another rare one. In 2014, Arturia awarded this golden Brute as part of a video contest.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Didn't know of that one - would have been nicer with the (fake) wooden sides of the regular Minibrute SE tho.

And yes, those Voyagers are gorgeous.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 pm

A couple of random gold synths I just found:

Macbeth Elements

Little Phatty

MS2000R - the wood on gold :love: :drool:
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Here's some horrible flash photography:

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:53 pm

The Elements was a unique and lovely endeavor that ran about 4500 EU / $5000 US and had no way to recall settings. :lol: But yes...BEAUTIFUL.

I wish there was more risk-taking in the synth world. *le sigh*

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:04 pm

echorec wrote:The Elements was a unique and lovely endeavor that ran about 4500 EU / $5000 US and had no way to recall settings. :lol: But yes...BEAUTIFUL.

I wish there was more risk-taking in the synth world. *le sigh*

No one's complaining about patch memory on their 5000$ modular :idk:
Vintage Vibes are delicious tho. Will definitely own one some day.

Here's a shitty pic of my Aria Pro II and some of my wall btw. The finish on the hardware is fading, which I think is kinda cool. Faded gold.
Considering painting the grill on the cab too.

actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:44 pm

actual wrote:No one's complaining about patch memory on their 5000$ modular :idk:

I don't think people complain, per say, because they just accept the limitations. That's why I won't go modular though. I'm holding out for a polyphonic digital, modular-inspired, hardware synth that comes in under $5K. I've heard/seen working models, but they were >$10K. Who knows? Maybe one will be unveiled at NAMM in two months. :snax:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:50 pm

That's exactly it, accept the limitations ;) That being said, I prefer patch memory as well. Nothing worse than doing a track, then halfway through you find out you have to change a note and/or do another part, but you can't remember exactly how that sound was made.

The Matrixbrute is paraphonic, considered that one? It's not the same of course, but could go some way.
edit: there's also the Matrix 12 and the Poly Evolver.
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 am

I looked into the Matrixbrute, but there were too many negatives. I wasn't blown away by the demos I heard, and then several reviewers claimed that it was much harder to use than the demos implied----anywhere from routing modulation to editing the sequencer. It also worries me that several of their synths have been known to crash (both analog & digital models). I really was in love with the idea of the Origin. Did you ever read up on it? A digital smorgasbord of synths with the ability to mix-and-match was really appealing to me. Who wouldn't want to put a Moog through an Oberheim filter or a Prophet through a Moog ladder? Unfortunately several reviewers said that Arturia never fixed OS issues. The units would crash mid-session and have to be restarted, or other software issues caused glitches. For $1000-1200 used, that sounded like a giant headache.

Back to the Matrixbrute, it's baffling to me that they never really promoted that it could actually play up to 4 notes. It seems like they also skipped certain crucial features, at the expense of other, less vital cosmetic accruements. I dunno. I appreciate that Arturia is ambitious, but unfortunately their designs never seem to arrive without issues. ---Which is again quite baffling. I know that Arturia has contracted really talented people in the synth world to consult with them, so why do these problems keep reoccurring? Is the Universe just working against them? It's late and my eyes are burning. Time to step out. Take care.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:31 am

I've wanted a Matrixbrute as my main mono for a long time, mostly because I love the Minibrute, so a grander version of that should be awesome right? But like you, I'm just not wowed by the demos I see, not enough to warrant the pricetag anyway, so I've decided on a Voyager, which is really what I originally wanted, a 3osc Moog. I'm also not too big on the cosmetic design of it. I won't get all the flexibility of the Matrixbrute, but I doubt I won't be satisfied.
There will always be bad units of all gear, like with cars and electronics, and I think the bad cases tend to overshadow all the perfectly good ones, ie. I've never had an issue with my Minibrute. I hadn't heard about the software issues tho. Will also check out that Origin, this is the first I've heard of it.

These strings are so cool:
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear