New amp advice

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New amp advice

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm

That’s what I liked about the 4, it’s didnt break nip early. Is the fifteen the same or does it break up earlier? Does it take pedals as well?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby blakestree » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Bearstripes wrote:Did the ac 4 take pedals better than your 15? Like I really want something that Is mostly clean with just a hint nod grit and I love the way the vox sounds for that. I am just not nature if a fifteen has that same vibe as the 4. Also I’m like 90% sure the 15 wontcut it in a band but that’s not that big of a deal

Depends on what kinda pedal and how loud you wanna be. One of the most magical moments I ever had with my AC4 was when I had it damn near dimed and slammed it with a Dirge Rangemaster. To do that with the AC15, in a bedroom, would be pretty much unbearable. On the other hand, the AC4 doesn't have a lot of clean volume. So, if you want to hold on to that beautiful chime longer, I'd say go bigger. I personally feel an AC30 is too big, in more ways than one. A 15 watt amp will play along with a band, though most will be overdriving pretty good, at that point, on their own. Just dial it back and mic it.
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muff_Diver » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Or get a matchless :D
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Or a Science, bro.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Yo fellas. This cats poor as fuck. Honestly trying to do a straight trade or sell and same cash value and whatnot
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm

Get the Twin, so we can be in the Bassmaster+Twin club. Shit's not small nor easy to move though, I have mine in a case with casters.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:Or get a matchless :D

neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Dude I keep thinkin of jus getting the twin. Honestly it’s the easiest to obtain and it’s a bad ass big boy amp as my bud says but I feel like not would just be overkill with my current setup
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Davin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Don't give up on that Traynor. They're built like tanks and will last you forEVER! There are a tone of mods out there to make it more of a Plexi style amp if that's your thing (although it sounds like maybe it's not). It's hard to find better made, vintage point to point amps than Traynors. They are a bit heavy though ... I have a real love/hate thing going on with my YGL3 which is a twin reverb killer.

Maybe keep the head and use backline cabs when you play out?
llull1.bandcamp.com
Davin

committed
committed

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 pm

On no! That traynor is going no where! I use it with the orange 2x12 cab for guitar and I even use it as my main bass amp! It’s a beast! I’m just looking for another amp that’s smaller and can be good quiet (for home) and also possibly used Live.

Traynor is king tho
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Olin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 pm

repoman wrote:AC30s and Twins are both about 75lbs

Loud
Clean
Light

You can only pick two

90% true, but Verellen Kalaloch, Jazz Chorus, YBA-1, TS50/any Traynor TS. They're all pretty light amps and I don't know many people who would call any of them heavy in terms of weight, and are all pretty clean.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Get a twin. They are pretty amazing. And yeah it's balls heavy and loud as hell, but there's a reason so many people have used them over the years. They take all pedals pretty well. That's my vote!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 am

Dont wanna be a downer here, but try and play again the Twin before buying. I've had a silverface twin back in the days, and that amp is bright as hell. With a Strat or Tele, it sounds as if you had a built-in treble booster! It is a very special sound that will color your tone no matter what you do. The sound on the blackface is much more balanced. I gave up on Twins a long time ago for the hot rod deluxe -boring, I know- but the clean channel sounds so good. Oh, and the twin sounds better when played loud of course, which means at bedroom levels nothing's happening...
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby popvulture » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

I dunno... I do love a twin and will say a couple of things in its favor to maybe balance out a couple of minuses people have mentioned.

-It's heavy but not horrible. I have a Matchless Chieftain that is a true backbreaker, I'd say easily at or close too 100 lbs. I also have a '68 twin that's heavy on its own (I guess like 75 lbs?) but seems radically light compared to the Matchless. All relative, I guess? In my experience, AC30s have been closer in weight to the Matchless.
-The brightness is there, but it's not as awful as with a Deluxe, which has no bright switch. Turn the bright switch off and lower the treble to 5 or lower, and you'll probably be a-ok. Tone knob on guitar does a LOT.
-Opinions vary of course, but I think the twin sounds fine at low volume. Not SUPER low volume... there's definitely a big hump that happens towards the bottom of the dial after which things get pretty loud, but I'm usually totally happy with the way mine sounds on 2. I don't feel like it's one of those amps that needs to be cranked to be happy, in fact all it seems to really do is just get fucking louder.
-I've mentioned this a ton of times so I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but putting a very light gain pedal like an EQD Speaker Cranker at the front of your chain will get rid of some of the ice-pickiness with other gain pedals.

So in short, if you can deal with mainly the weight issue, I think they're fantastic. Also if you're going silverface, I'd avoid MV models and generally go as early as you can get.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am

I agree with popvulture on all of that. Most of the Fender amps I've played, I usually have the treble down at 5 or lower depending on the guitar, and I never use the bright switch. Any Twin can be modified to the blackface circuitry relatively easily though I wouldn't recommend going and digging around in a tube amp ever if you don't know what's what. There's like 600VDC in the filter caps in some of these amps.

I use an AMZ fetboost I built in front of my Bassman when I run dirt into it and it opens it up quite a bit. Plus I did the negative feedback mod, and that really helps on the aforementioned "Ice-picky-ness" hehe.

Good luck on the amps man. You'll never regret a twin. Just sayin
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear