Looking for the right fuzz

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Looking for the right fuzz

Postby Loner » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 am

I know most would say to go out and try some out, but I would like some recommendations so I know a rough idea of where to go. The closest guitar center is about an hour away from me and most guitar shops around me have little to no pedals, I've had a modern v9 big muff from 2015, but it seemed like it had no power in it. And when you turned up the volume, it began to sound like a crappy metal pedal. I switched batteries and used different power adaptors so it isn't me. In looking for a fuzz with boosted treble and bass and lower mids, I've played on the pro co rat two and it seemed to get close to what I want but not fuzzy. I want something like the stooges' first album fuzz. I've listen to the Fuzz war and the Death by audio video made it seem awesome, but the other demos were different, and not the sound I was spooning for. I'm looking for something in the 150 or less range. Thanks
Loner

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Looking for the right fuzz

Postby Eivind August » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 am

Stooges first album is a Fuzzrite, if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy enough to find a cheap clone of (hell, I think they might still be made, actually).
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 am

Eivind August wrote:Stooges first album is a Fuzzrite, if I'm not mistaken. Should be easy enough to find a cheap clone of (hell, I think they might still be made, actually).

It sounds a bit like a fuzzrite but I think it's actually a Vox tonebender, which is one of those things like vintage muffs where no two units sound alike. Fuzzrite is definitely ballpark tho, or any 2-transistor fuzz voiced for splatty treble
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Actually...I don't suppose you tried the Big Muff AND the Rat at the same time? A lot of people swear by that combination, fwiw. Adds a little balls to the muff, and/or a little hair to the Rat.

Everytime someone mensions the tonebender and is open to something a bit more versatile than a straight clone, I can't help but suggest checking out the Clusterfuzz. It doesn't really do bigg muff type of tones, but the different clipping and filter options and the gate ('8 bit') control, made it my favorite 'swiss army knife' fuzz pedal, replacing a handfull of others that I've used for many years.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm

I've heard some people say Maestro fuzz re: Stooges too... obv that pedal gets a lot of single-note attention due to Satisfaction, but I think it gets splattier the more you play chords.

How does your Muff sound with the gain down lower (like 9 a clock) and starting to push the tone knob more in the treble zone? That's the setting I use most on my Muffs, gets a lot more vintage-y tone that would be in that Stooges ballpark, or to my ears at least. I have a Caprid, Tall Font and a 47/73 that all excel in that realm.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Lovetone Big cheese ftw :P
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bloatedsack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm

I've got a DOD Carcosa that seems to cover lots of different ground on my bass. They're cheap, easy to find, and seem to be pretty easy to find a wide variety of sound in. -shrug-
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Gigahearts_FX wrote:Lovetone Big cheese ftw :P

Agreed. Big Cheese is dope.

I also really find my Pharaoh to be quite tweakable for a Muff variant. Kind of like popvulture was saying, down the gain a little, and turn up the treble a bit, and them GE clippers, real nice. I also have a MKIII tonebender clone that does just about everything, and I put the bias trim external as a pot so it does even more.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby worra » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Personally I love super fuzz style circuits. Might be worth trying one out if you haven't yet.
https://foldednote.bandcamp.com
https://sunbeamer.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/_sunbeamer/

DRodriguez wrote:home is where the noise is

aen wrote:I'm pretty much kicked out of hipster beverage town.
worra

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm

For those that arent aware, the big cheese is actually a Fuzz Face type ciruit, with op-amp driven buffers, and a Big Muff-style tone stack.
The swticheroo either bypasses the tone stack, gives a mid hump, mid cut, or mid-cut with additional voltage starve type gated effect.

Really cool.
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:00 pm

worra wrote:Personally I love super fuzz style circuits. Might be worth trying one out if you haven't yet.

Most super fuzzes suck being chained in a signal IMO. They either kill your lows or your highs depending on where you put the fucking thing. I've had a bunch that did that with the exception of the Buzzz, which is perfect.

I'm no help in this other than saying that the DBA Fuzz War 2 is fucking amazing.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby popvulture » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 pm

The Big Cheese is fucking rad, but that's like... what, at least a $500 pedal?

Speaking of, who makes a clone of that? There has to be one... probably I'll be all durr whenever someone says what it is. Or maybe there just oddly isn't?

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:01 pm

popvulture wrote:The Big Cheese is fucking rad, but that's like... what, at least a $500 pedal?

Speaking of, who makes a clone of that? There has to be one... probably I'll be all durr whenever someone says what it is. Or maybe there just oddly isn't?

Noone at scale, but there are PCBs from which one can be made readily available

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Stinky_Che ... 22013.aspx

or you can get the feta complis from oshpark
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Ahh, nice :thumb:

Surprising that there's not a clone in regular production. That pedal gets a lot of love! (deservedly)

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear