RMA TOURBOX : First Review On Page 4

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: RMA TOURBOX : First Review On Page 4

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Dandolin wrote:The tourbox has moved on--just completed a Philly special to rickenbastard. :)* Write-up and video snippet to follow. :snax: All the others waiting on this to arrive--you are in for a hella good time :D

:snax: :!!!: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 pm

This thread's been awfully quiet lately. :hello: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Chankgeez wrote:This thread's been awfully quiet lately. :hello: :snax:

I directed a short pause to avoid xmas shipping woes, though that concern is now past.

We're coming out of the crazy time of year, since I somewhat shut down over the latter half of December I sort of expect everyone else to as well. Looking forward to seeing more action as well, thanks for the nudge!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Tour box arrived on Sunday which was a nice surprise. Didn't get a chance to plug in, but everything is safe.

That is one cool box though and one heck of a lid.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:17 pm

:thumb: :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

OK--many apologies Curtis. :picard:

I have no excuses other than my (mostly mental) deficiency. I am extremely grateful to have been included on the tourbox :hug: , and I did take fairly copious notes and, thanks to Chank, have one wayward, noodly vidya of the amazing Mudlark in action, which I link forthwith. I'm going to come back and supplement this post as I finish some thoughts, so chack back if'n yore innerested....

OK--some general comments first. I am definitely familiar with the RMA approach and aesthetic. I guess I haven't been very vocal about it, but RMA has been one of my favoritest thangs in pedaldom since I first lucked into getting on the Dirty Doper pre-order. :joy: Aesthetically, absolutely my number one, so I was marvelin' at all the copious eye candy on display in the tourbox, and the tourbox itself--phantasmagorically excellent vision and execution! As a longtime Tetris addict, I definitely enjoyed putting it back together after each session :D

As I said, I am pretty familiar with the RMA thang, proudly owning an DD, Crustacean and Tetanus Booster, and having had the good fortune to have logged extensive time on lordgalvar's Mudlark and Chankgeez's Monobius. :group:

I keep coming back to RMA devices because of their sonic signature--raw, open, beefy (no emasculated bass frequencies here :yay: ) bipolar in the best way--capable of more "polite" usage, but ready to spurt firenados at my whim (also bi-functional for me because I get great use for both my pkinky guit/mando-ings and bass thumpasaurusizing).

I concur with Chank on the Mudlark: 'tis, to put it plainly, great. My clip above only captures a small fraction of all the tones available. Chank grabbed my phone and started lensing less than a minute into my re-acquaintance wrangle, so to my ears there's a palpable sense of actually wrasslin' the oscillation; re-familiarizing myself withe the truth-in-labelling of the 'song' knob, which produces different arpeggi and counter-melodies depending on where it's set and on how you set the guitar's volume (and to a lesser degree) tone knobs. So if you have the patience you'll gradually hear me hone in on the bliss state where the pedal does more noodling than i do :facepalm: The first section is me getting lost in wank punctuated by volume knob tweakage to shift the low dronetone down a half-step or so and back. Maybe someone else can capture that feature better. :idk: :snax:

What is not captured at all are the wide range of more straight-forward, singing and synthy fuzz tones on tap, especially with a compressor or the Tetanus Boost set up in front of the Mudlark.

Another aspect of the Mudlark that Chankgeez pointed out definitely hit home with me--it was really easy to get lost (in a good way) exploring with it. That first four-plus minute wank (believe me, I didn't stop for a good while after the phonecam was shut down) felt like 30 seconds.... :trippy:

Which is not to say it's like some fuzz with oscillating capabilities where you end up not using it live because you spend more time tweaking than playing and/or can never re-find your favorite settings. The effective use of switches to define "modes" saves you from that frustration.

I'd also concur with Chankgeez's (and lordgalvar's) observations regarding the loudererness and mo' brightitude of the tourbox Mudlark compared to lordgalvar's earlier incarnation. l'd add that there seems to be just a touch more range overall in the variety of tones and "songs" on tap :excellent:

Finally, as I mentioned before, the thing is, like the other RMAs I've experienced, rad on bass, bring ratty cut to your attack at more sedate settings without hacking your low-end to oblivion, but also delivering tonnes of synthy goodness (amazing tones with a Tonefactor take on the auld DOD 440 envelope filter), and plenty of plain old FWOAR. :animal:

ok so that went on for a while... I think I'll break up the text wall by posting (hopefully shorter) write-ups about the other tourbox denizens....
Last edited by Dandolin on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm

:love: :rock: I'm expectin' some nice videos from rickenbastard as well. :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Dandolin wrote:OK--many apologies Curtis. :picard:

:lol: NO WORRIES!

My mental processes go into hibernation over December AND I'm the last fucking person to prod someone over taking the time it needs to see something through. I love the video, thanks!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 pm

crochambeau wrote:
Dandolin wrote:OK--many apologies Curtis. :picard:

:lol: NO WORRIES!

My mental processes go into hibernation over December AND I'm the last fucking person to prod someone over taking the time it needs to see something through. I love the video, thanks!

:joy: :hug:

Chack back on that post for moar--I'll be posting even moarer below.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Dandolin wrote:Frequency Fucker

:lol:

I love it!

If I ever make it into the right territory of effect I might borrow that or some permutation of the name..

Thank you for your thoughts on the Mudlark, puts a little wind in my sails to complete the small pile I have sitting to the side of my bench. :joy:

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Ugh, my brains are muck right now. Sadly, Frequency Fucker is taken (belongs to Tom D. --his rare and wonderful frequency tripler circuit), I was just mixing up my alliterative dream pedals. :facepalm:

Headed back to fix my errant FF post to DD. :picard:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Good write-up Dandolin!

I've found the mudlark to.be among the most elusive things to record. Nothing really sounds like it live and it almost has too many good spots to document.

I found a new one in the new mudlark that is a swell fuzz. Delayed attack!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Yeah, Mudlark rules! :!!!: This's what I meant when I wrote this before:

Chankgeez wrote:Mudlark is great. I could get lost playing for hours days with one of these.

So many different sounds in that fuzz. :love:

I started recording that vid that Dandolin posted because it sounded so fantastic when he was playing.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Glad you did! Sounds great! Love it.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rickenbastard » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 am

Sorry for my general silence on this. I’m glad the box made it to CA in holiday season with no issues! I had a lot of fun with these. I unfortunately didn’t get to try any of these at a band practice because everyone was too busy with holidays but I would’ve liked to hear how they fit in my band mix. I’ve only gotten to edit one of my clips so far. Stone Splitter bass demo:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YmiB6a8Bas4
rickenbastard

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear