RMA TOURBOX : First Review On Page 4

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: RMA TOURBOX : First Review On Page 4

Postby frodog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 pm

As the last host for the tourbox, I should have already posted here. It's been like month since the apparatuses arrived at home base, so it is now safe.

The Tetanus booster, however, stayed behind! I really love its brutality, but also it's very musical. Seems to draw every molecule of sound from my SG's P90 and WRHB. I just keep it always on, trying to get adept at adjusting it on the fly.

The Stone Splitter is the best octave/noise thing ever. Playing bass through it into a 100 watt Marshall Artist and 2x15 cab the subs almost pushed me across the floor and the guitarist was put in a fugue state, unable to move. The screeching feedback rising up between those viscous notes negated even the need for guitar. With only this setup a better player than me could convincingly pull off a solo bass/vocals act, I feel.

The Crustacean could be the other member of that act, though. Why even bother with humans when you have an eternal bonfire, a broken radio and a V8 engine in a tiny box? Something like that. I got permission to open this up to adjust the trimmer inside, the knob wasn't initially able to bring the crackle output down to that dying bonfire level, all three channels were drones. I don't know how that happened, but it was exciting to get a look inside this well-engineered piece. One I would love to have permanently as well, some day. I imagine if you do noise/ambient, with tabletop setups and a mixer, you would gladly give up three channels to a Crustacean. You could even use it as a fireplace simulator at home, that crackle n' pop at a minimum is seriously soothing as background noise.

The Monobius, holy shit. Once I found how to stabilize its operation (on account of the broken switch) this offered many beautiful tones. Just the overdrive on its own sounded sooo good, but the ring mod/drone capabilites are really something else. You might think that such a pedal would sound cold and clangy, but like the others the tone is expertly dialled in to be wide-ranging and always natural. It's like extreme and toan-snob friendly at the same time. Again very inspiring to play, and one that plays with you symbiotically, but I would need more time to fully master it.

I have recordings of all except the Tetanus (which I will do soon) but they are not hi-fi and my editing skills suck, so they might take a while still to get out there.

Much has already been said about these amazing pedals, so you know what they do. But really, they are stellar in every way. My words can't really do justice to something that will take you to such un-anticipated places musically. Places that are dark and menacing and also make you feel complete musical joy. I've never been as fully immersed in a pedal before as any of these. Totally worth it, if you ever consider buying one. Curtis is also a gentleman and a scholar and has been very helpful in explaining things I did not understand, generally giving me valuable electronic insight. Thank you!
Last edited by frodog on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:00 pm

:)* :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words!

The tourbox is, after over a year, about to embark on the U.S. leg of it's journey. :picard:

I feel bad about how long it took to pull this together. Anyway, I'm engineering the fit inside the crate, which slips inside a large flat-rate box. My aim is to avoid having more switches break (same one twice, for those keeping track), and am shoehorning the revised Mudlark into the works. I expect to have this in route next week.

I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Fuck yes!!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:14 pm

crochambeau wrote:The tourbox is, after over a year, about to embark on the U.S. leg of it's journey. :picard:

I feel bad about how long it took to pull this together. Anyway, I'm engineering the fit inside the crate, which slips inside a large flat-rate box. My aim is to avoid having more switches break (same one twice, for those keeping track), and am shoehorning the revised Mudlark into the works. I expect to have this in route next week.

:omg: :joy: :!!!:

Well, tourboxes exist so people can play and potentially be more interested in buying pedals. So, as long as you're comfortable with the pace the tourbox is progressing, it's all good. :hug: Thanks again for doing this! :thumb:

crochambeau wrote:Image

All I can say is that hopefully Dandolin (or rickenbastard) is after me with the tourbox so I can hand it off to him? :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:34 pm

^hot box(es)
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby crochambeau » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Chankgeez wrote:All I can say is that hopefully Dandolin (or rickenbastard) is after me with the tourbox so I can hand it off to him? :snax:

I'll have to mine the thread & PMs to confirm, but I don't see Dandolin on my list; rickenbastard on the other hand is, and such a hand-off can be arranged if the interest still stands. I'll be shooting out a spray of re-confirmation messages once it's actually underway.

fuzzisokiguess wrote:^hot box(es)

Thanks!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 pm

I just edited the first post, but am including in moment on thread for clarity. The list is not closed, so if someone meets the criteria spelled out way back when and wants in, just gimme a yell. CHEERS

crochambeau wrote:/* (edit 10th November, 2018) PLEASE NOTE due to the situation with the loss of JWAR's tourbox I want to be 100% clear here:

Participants will be responsible for large flat rate box priority mail fees to the next person in line, ADDITIONAL INSURANCE is not required. In my mind most of the value I have invested in these has already been balanced by reviews and demos. */

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 pm

crochambeau wrote:I'll have to mine the thread & PMs to confirm, but I don't see Dandolin on my list; rickenbastard on the other hand is, and such a hand-off can be arranged if the interest still stands. I'll be shooting out a spray of re-confirmation messages once it's actually underway.

Can we force Dandolin to participate? :lol:

I'm pretty sure he'd be interested. I'll have him PM you. (Thanks again, Curtis!) :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Hopefully I'm still on the list....

Excited to see how things are different! And stone splitter.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Can we force Dandolin to participate? :lol:

So long as it winds up being consensual I'm cool ;)

lordgalvar wrote:Hopefully I'm still on the list....

Excited to see how things are different! And stone splitter.

Confirmed! :rock:

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Yeah hopefully I'm on the list still :) I think when it started I didn't have enough posts ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 pm

You could even use it as a fireplace simulator at home, that crackle n' pop at a minimum is seriously soothing as background noise.

:thumb:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:14 pm

:love: I'd love to get in on this--pm sent, Curtis.... :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:32 pm

:snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear